EBikeMotion X35 range?

taco799

I’m trying to find some examples from users of the actual range of the X35 system. I feel like many of the sources for the X35 system are purposely vague about the range and I’ve read reviewers claiming 150 miles off the down tube battery alone and some claiming 25. I’d like to get some user experience and usage information to try and get to the bottom of this.

Could you tell me the following
- what % assist you have the system set to provide?
-how much range do you get from that level of assist?
-is your version the EU or US version?
-if you have any experience with the range extender and how much range you gain from that.
-how do you use the system (IE are you turning it off and on frequently through a ride or do you just leave it on and let it do it’s thing?)

Thanks in advance!

I’ve had my US Bianchi Aria ebike for a few weeks and am testing the battery consumption on a regular flat route I usually ride in both very windy and calm days. I start my test when I immediately leave my driveway, no warm ups or anything like that. My route is 18.5 miles with about 16 miles of country roads and the balance is in a suburban subdivision. All three test rides had the same average speed of 15.75 +- .2 mph. I tried to isolate one variable, the wind, and measured battery consumption on based on that. All the rides were at level one with 100% level which I started with and never changed levels or turned off the motor. I weigh 205 lbs.

On a windy rides, 10 to 15 mph, a 10% battery usage netted 7 miles
On a clam day, 3 to 5 mph, a 10% battery usage netted 10 miles

My next test will be the same at a level two assist. Claims of mileage range over 80 miles or so are very optimistic IMHO.

I’ve had my US Bianchi Aria ebike for a few weeks and am testing the battery consumption on a regular flat route I usually ride in both very windy and calm days. I start my test when I immediately leave my driveway, no warm ups or anything like that. My route is 18.5 miles with about 16 miles of country roads and the balance is in a suburban subdivision. All three test rides had the same average speed of 15.75 +- .2 mph. I tried to isolate one variable, the wind, and measured battery consumption on based on that. All the rides were at level one with 100% level which I started with and never changed levels or turned off the motor. I weigh 205 lbs.

On a windy rides, 10 to 15 mph, a 10% battery usage netted 7 miles
On a clam day, 3 to 5 mph, a 10% battery usage netted 10 miles

My next test will be the same at a level two assist. Claims of mileage range over 80 miles or so are very optimistic IMHO.

It looks like you get 100 miles on calm days @ ~16mph on 100% assist.
On windy days that drops to 70 miles.

Im wondering have you had any time to do more testing?

Also im wondering when it says 100% assist, does that mean if I put out enough power to go 10 MPH, the motor will put out another 10MPH? basically doubling my speed?

I would be hard pressed to count on 100 miles in eco mode as I was working somewhat hard peddling to get 10miles out of 10% battery charge. The effort I was doing wouldn’t last for 100 miles.
I did a more hilly route with all three levels aggressively for 20 miles and used 60% of the battery. The biggest hill was a quarter mile and an 8 to 10 % grade and really push the pace and didn’t get below 12mph in level 3 while normally I’d be going closer to 6 mph on that hill. I did rollers back home in level 2 and didn’t get below 18 mph.
These “tests” weren’t as controlled as the others I posted earlier.
I think I’ve read on this site that
Level 1 is about 75 watts
Level 2 is about 150 watts
Level 3 is about 250 watts - notice 30% between levels
As a peddle assist bike your individual effort counts for the major power so I don‘t think the power of the motor will come close to 2x your speed, at best 75-80% you.

Last edited:
I have had 2 Orbea Gains - D31 Aluminum Gravel bike EU version, 15 mph max (that one was stolen) and M30, Carbon Road US version 20 MPH max.
The EU version give you more range because the assist cuts out at 15 mph, and wind resistance increases at the square of speed. So it takes a LOT more energy to go that extra 5 MPH. As far as real world range, you can get 1000 miles per charge if you dont use any assist! Real world experience for me, 220 lbs, I averaged about 32 miles/2200feet elevation on the D31 and only about 22 miles on the same ride with the M30 - of course I am going a lot faster. That is riding mostly level 2 with level when the grade is over 8%.
I have a friend who weighs 170 lbs, NEVER takes it out of level 1 except for very steep hills, and he can get about 40 miles. Using the range extender multiply those numbers x 1.75. (should be 1.8 but there are efficiency losses).
Obviously I am pleased with the bike or I would not have purchased an upgrade after the first one was stolen. But published range is a estimate under ideal conditions with a small rider on flat ground with a no wind and speed not exceeding 15 mph. Under those imaginary conditions I could see getting 80 miles in level 1, but never in the real world

I previously had an Orbea Gain F30. My ~28 mile round trip commute has a lot of climbing (SF Bay Area) at highest assist and the lowest range I ever got was around 27 miles from a full battery to 10%. I've only brought it down that low one time. I could consistently do 60 miles leisurely at no to medium assist.

I live in the Bay Area too with many steep hills. 60 miles with no assist is achievable. But what’s the point of an ebike if you ride it with no assist? For the same price you can buy a bike that is half the weight with no assist, and achieve infinite range. I have friends that do that regularly.

My wife and I have gone 60 miles on our Orbea Gains M30 bikes with moderate climbing and some headwinds.
using the eco mode mostly with medium and turbo modes at the last part of the steepest climb at the end of ride when we were exhausted.

Hi I have the Orbea Gain M30. Had for over a year now. Same system as yours ie ebikemotion X35. My conclusions are the same as yours. On flatter rides I don't use my Gain I'll use my lightweight non assisted road bike as the weight of the bike is a disadvantage esp if you're trying to stay with a group over 15.5 mph. I tend to stay in the pack. However on undulating terrain and mountains the Gain is a joy!. I run my Gain on 28 mm tubeless tyres. If flows well on the road. I switch assistance down to eco on flatter segments as I believe it reduces the motor resistance. I have the Gain to hep me on difficult terrain as I have an issue with my right knee from an old sports injury. Im 58 years old.

Yesterday I did 73 miles on 46% of the battery. Average speed was 17.9mph with 3208ft of climbing. I'm in the USA and have the 20mph version. I only used the assistance when absolutely necessary to keep me from blowing up. I'm 59 and a relatively strong rider.

My app crashes a lot so I take screenshots of the app at the beginning and end of the ride. I also use my Wahoo Bolt for accurate mileage, speed and elevation data. The app crash during the ride yesterday, losing the first 51 miles of the ride. At that point I had only used 24% of the battery.

Below are screenshots taken at the beginning and end of the ride. I'll also included data calculated in my spreadsheet. I've been tracking my fitness gains seen getting the Dyodo.

Notice the range estimate given in the app. That has updated since I started riding heavily 3 weeks ago from about a 40 mile range estimate. It adjusts based on your riding history. My estimated range should get even better since I'm actually averaging less than 1% battery consumption per mile on the routes I've ridden so far. But that will change once I get a chance to ride in the mountains.

I love the bike by the way. It will still be a great bike once I remove the motor and battery...that is, when I feel it's holding me back even on the climbs.

1600100941196.png

image0.png image2.png image3.png

BoB with Red Accents

IMG_5317.jpg

Last edited:
I’m trying to find some examples from users of the actual range of the X35 system. I feel like many of the sources for the X35 system are purposely vague about the range and I’ve read reviewers claiming 150 miles off the down tube battery alone and some claiming 25. I’d like to get some user experience and usage information to try and get to the bottom of this.

Could you tell me the following
- what % assist you have the system set to provide?
-how much range do you get from that level of assist?
-is your version the EU or US version?
-if you have any experience with the range extender and how much range you gain from that.
-how do you use the system (IE are you turning it off and on frequently through a ride or do you just leave it on and let it do it’s thing?)

Thanks in advance!
I’ve had my top of the line Orbea Gain for almost 2 years. I’m 66 years old, 6’ and weigh 215. I bought it because I had lost a step or two in the last couple of years. Where I live is not flat, without trying to climb, we still average about 500’ elevation per10 miles, and the climbs are all 10% plus grades. Riding only in level 1, I was routinely getting near the red level on the battery at 40 miles, once getting down to 10% at 51 miles. As the only member of my 3 man group with an Ebike, I usually had to really ease up to stay with them. Of course, they love sitting my wheel in the headwinds, where I am happy to do all the pulling, which allows us to average 3 mph faster! ( 16 instead of 12-13 ) A couple weeks ago I saw a video explaining how to adjust the amount of power in each of the 3 levels in the “settings” of the ebikemotion app. This has been awesome for me as I felt the 1st level gave me too much help for my group rides! I adjusted level 1 to 60%, and now I’m basically equal to my buddies. Level 2 to 50%, and left level 3 at 100% as I only use it to go balls out occasionally by myself. A fantastic byproduct of using level 1 at 60%, is an increase in battery life. I now average about 20 miles per level of battery, which means I could perhaps get 80 miles with 4000’ elevation! Today’s ride was 40 miles with 2580’ and used 49% of battery! I rarely want to do more than 50 miles anymore, but I love knowing I can and won’t have to spend $700 for the extra battery. ( plus lose a water bottle cage). Hope this info helps. Cheers

Back