ebikemotion - when should the motor engage?

SteveD225

Region
USA
Hello! This is a question for riders using the Mahle ebikemotion system. I have a Cannondale Treadwell Neo. Under what conditions should the motor engage? Does there have to be resistance on the pedaling (as I have been told)? I was surprised to find that I can put the iWOC on high assist, pedal very slowly with zero resistance, and move along like a Class 2 bike! i.e. the bike moves ahead all by itself without me applying any pressure on the pedals, as long as I turn the crank. Let me know what you've experienced. Thanks!

I believe the ebikemotion kit is cadence only, meaning the power is delivered not by pedal pressure (torque), but by how fast you're pedalling.

I believe the ebikemotion kit is cadence only, meaning the power is delivered not by pedal pressure (torque), but by how fast you're pedalling.
@Deacon Blues Thank you for the answer! You used a useful term "cadence" in your answer, so I was able to find a description of how it works!

Here's an excerpt:

The Ebikemotion X35 M1 hub motor provides support with a torque of up to 40 Nm. In contrast to the other concepts we’ve looked at, the motor doesn’t assist you based on your cadence or power input, but instead outputs power based on how quickly the cassette is turning relative to the hub. This design means the Ebikemotion drive can be tricked into riding with basically no input from the rider. As long as you keep the cassette and hub turning together, the motor continues to push forward – there’s no torque sensor to detect your lack of pedalling input as the system operates based on the speed of your cassette in relation to how quickly the wheel is turning.

Back