Ebike search

drm1125

Hi,

I'm having a lot of trouble trying to figure out which ebike to buy. I live on a pretty steep hill and there are hills all over my area. I want to be able to ride on both road and basic dirt trails. I also want a good battery, I want to be able to ride for many hours.

My specs- I'm 49, female 5'2 185. So pretty short. I'm willing to spend $3500. I thought I'd like a step through type bike. I also like the idea of more speeds. I don't know if it's really needed but that was what I really liked to begin with the easy motions.

I thought I'd really like the easy motion evo street pro but I can't find it anywhere near me to test ride. I test rode a evo city nitro and it was to big for me. I also test drove a evo atom diamond wave. I didn't like the feel of the handlebars on it. They felt to tall? I think that was the issue.

I also test drove the specialized vado 3. It was ok, not great. I also test drove the specialized como-I didn't like it.

So now I'm wondering if what I really want is a mountain bike kind of feel bike? But with a smaller frame? I've only ever owned mountain bikes and my current bike is a specialized mountain bike that I realized the frame is too big for me-I have to stretch to far to the handlebars.

I'm more confused then ever after test driving some bikes. Also, there doesn't seem to be that many ebikes in my area to test drive. There's 3-4 stores in my area but they all have the same brands/bikes in their showrooms. Would it be better to take a chance on a name brand bike online? Like that Raleigh Lore IE that's on sale right now for a really good price?

thanks,
denise

Hi Denise and welcome to the forum!

My wife and I looked at e-bikes for 2 years before we found the models we liked. It can indeed be a daunting task. Like you, she is short, 5' 2" and most of the bikes we looked at were too big for her. We also live in hill country and at our ages (67 & 72) we needed bikes that would give us a much needed boost. We weren't getting around as well as we used to on our Trek Shift 4 MTB's

We took trips, sometimes overnight, specifically to visit bike shops and test ride different models. We both wanted the step thru style with as many gears as possible for the trail riding we enjoy. We wanted a major brand that isn't likely to disappear in a couple of years. I've been working on bikes most of my life so I wasn't concerned about repairs. In your case, this may be a consideration as to where you buy.

We finally bought from a LBS in an adjacent state 3.5 hours away. We chose Pedego Platinum Interceptors for the fit and solid feel of the bike. It has 10 speeds and was the most comfortable bike my wife had tried. Pedego's reputation for quality and excellent customer service was also a factor. They also have an extensive network of dealers across the country. The Pedego Interceptors aren't really mountain bikes but they do surprisingly well on the trail. I added more aggressive tires and MTB style handlebars to mine but my wife is quite content with the stock bike.

We also like long rides and range was a consideration. We average 40 miles on a charge with a moderate amount of pedaling. To extend our range, we carry spare batteries. Our Pedego's have 500W rear hub motors which handle grades well up to around 12%. Long, steeper grades require a considerable amount of pedaling however. If you frequently ride many long steep hills, you might want to consider a mid drive bike. The mid mount motor can take advantage of lower gearing and makes pedaling somewhat easier.

Again, welcome aboard! I'm sure others will offer their opinions as well. Good luck with your search.

I agree with the 'try before you buy' scenario due to your height and limitations for sizing. Sounds like you should stay with a step-thru or bikes with the low riser top tube. This will ensure a better fit and not have to be worried about climbing over it opposed to stepping into the bike frame. I have seen a few female riders like the "Cannondale Mavaro Performance 700F "as indicated here: Mavaro thread on EBR. If you ever have issues with handlebars, you can always opt for an adjustable stem that helps you dial in a comfortable position on the grips. I have them on all of my bikes to ensure the best fit. Good Luck!

I'm 68" tall, but I have very short legs, 28". So none of the premium bikes in local bike shops (LBS) fit me. The average committed bike shop owner has 32" legs or taller. To buy something off the internet, I had to learn to read the frame dimensions. I could find bikes to fit me among the stock sold to children in the discount store. Just they are not very well equipped bikes. No disk brakes in the grocery store, and no 8 speed SRAM gearsets, either. Disk brakes are very useful in the rain on a bike that might spend a lot of time at 12-18 mph.
So I measure the distance from steering tube to seat tube, the distance from crank axle to seat, the height of the handlebars over the ground. I set up a *****y mountain bike I bought at Savation Army resale, to fit me. That is I can get my legs almost straight when pedaling, and still reach the ground when stopped with both legs. The steering bar is close enough I don't have to hunch over unduly. So I took those measurements & went comparing frames on the internet.
I like sitting erect, due to a family history of popped neck disks. Serious bikers like to bend straight over with their faces parallel to the road, and bend their neck back 90 degress at intersections or when they want to see the road ahead. You have to decide before purchase which kind of ride position suits you. Bent over is faster & more efficient, sitting upright may prevent neck injury that causes pain the rest of one's live. Bent over posture frames tend to be called road bikes, hybrids, or gravel bikes. More erect position bikes are called Mountain bikes or cruisers. Beach cruisers have the pedals moved forward, which is comfy but not very efficient if one is pedaling any distance at any considerable speed.
Once one knows what dimensions he/she needs, one can shop on the internet. I bought the cargo bike in the picture left, sight unseen. Yes it fits me. Notice the wide comfy seat. Drop frame because at 66, I have trouble lifting my leg over the center bar without hopping. All Aluminum, for less dead weight I drag around.
About the range: I've got a 17.5 AH 48 v battery, 840 watthours, and I can get 3 to 4 hours at 55 deg and below, 12 mph & slower. Range should be much better in the summer, but I've only owned the battery since October. It's hard to get a battery that big on a store bought bike. don't let salesmen confuse you with watts, which is the maximum draw the battery stand, versus watthours. Most batteries will stand 50 amp draw for a few seconds, or 2400 watts. But range correlates to watthours, which is ampere hours times nominal voltage. Or, ampere hour AH measurements are useful, if not as impressive as the bigger watthour WH measurement.

My 4'10" daughter loves her Pedego Interceptor step-through. I think at 5'2" it would be the right size for you. I have the same thing, but in a 26" (I'm 5'5", and my bike is pictured at left). The Interceptor is the same frame style as the Platinum interceptor with a few fewer speeds (7, not 10), different brakes (disc, not hydraulic), and lots more colors.

I find the cruiser very comfortable and rideable. My commute is 25 miles round-trip, and I also run errands and ride recreationally.

I find it annoying that so many ebike companies ignore folks who prefer a step-through frame. But there are great step-through bikes out there. Happy shopping!

Back