Ebike Questions

RetepBiker

Alright, I have found a bike that I am interested in and would like some input. I have been looking for a few weeks for a used ebike because I think that they are a better deal than buying new. In my searching, I have found a Haibike Urban Plus for around $1k that is in good condition. I have looked at the review and it seems like a pretty solid bike and at that price, it seems like a good deal. I can buy some saddle bags and a suspension seat post and maybe some other upgrades for a bike at $1K. Is there something wrong with this model were I shouldn't buy it? Is there a way to test the battery to see the overall condition/life or is it just ride the bike for a little bit and see how fast it drops the charge? Is there anything special for this model I should be looking for when I go to inspect it/buy it? I did notice that I will have to have the current owner remove it from their phone so that I can add it to mine.

Look for Date of Manufacturing on the battery, Check voltage when fully charged, for dead cells, Read reviews on it ! ?

Load test the battery that it will sustain 44+ volts at a 30 amp load. Buy some resistors to assemble a 3 ohm >675 watt load. DO this outside in case the battery catches fire. Charge it up. Put a DVM across the resistors. . Connect the battery, read the Voltage as 16 amps flows. If 44 or above, okay. Don't touch the terminals with both hands, voltage over 24 from one hand to the other can stop your heart, if there is a cut or something.
I did this to a suspect battery, using 10 ohms capable of 450 W. The battery collapsed to 8 v with only a 5 amp load on it.
Used bikes can also have flaky controllers and wiring. A 30 mile ride at speed before your purchase can usually flush out those problems. Be sure to ride on some rough pavement, as loose components sometimes fail when shaken.

Take a l-o-n-g test ride. And, do you have an independent bike repair shop that fixes ebikes that you can have take a look?

Last edited:
Back