Ebike parking brake

Lightning 123

Does anyone know if there's a way to keep the brake levers depressed so the bike doesn't roll away when it's parked.
I saw that one way was to use a heavy duty rubber band,

I haven't seen any dedicated feature that would function as a parking brake on current models. Years ago I had a Schwinn Varsity that had a tab you could insert into the brake levers to keep them pulled. Haven't seen it since.

I got the idea from click-stand, they make a portable brace that can be used instead of a kickstand. In order for it to work the brakes have to be on. So I think that would be a great safety feature for ebikes
because they are typically heavy especially when they are loaded up with gear..small rubber bungee cords will work. Other solutions might work better depending on how the brake levers are designed. I'm probably going to buy one because I have an e mountain bike and don't want something dragging behind me.

I wonder how long you should leave the brake lever pulled on the hydraulic discs but I guess I’d just go with heavy rubber bands. Simple and light.

Yeah on the new Rad Cargo eBikes they have sort of a bungee cord/paracord thing to just press down the brake lever...I think they even called it a 'parking brake' heh.

This brings back memories. The house I lived in as a kid was located on a steep hill. I used to park my old coaster brake Schwinn on the sidewalk using the kickstand. To keep it from rolling I used to stick a pencil through the spokes of the rear wheel just above the chain stays. I broke a lot of pencils though when I forgot to remove it. The pencil would snap when the bike was moved causing no spoke damage. Those old bikes were built like tanks though. Not sure I would try it with a newer lighter weight bike.

For years (decades?), ATVs and Quads have come from factories with a wedge for the rear brake lever that clicks into that gap as a parking brake for manual crank-pull startups. Seems like a no-brainer adaptation for cargo bikes. Until then, keep eating your broccoli!

61tRJBb85tL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Does anyone know if there's a way to keep the brake levers depressed so the bike doesn't roll away when it's parked.
I saw that one way was to use a heavy duty rubber band,
How exactly would the bike roll away ? The standard (Kickstand) is essentially your brake . When the Bike is canted at an angle the disc brakes would rub if you attempted pushing it leaned over that far . I would also guess with brakes locked you'd prematurely wear out the lines that carry fluid . The idea of a standard is to hold the bike up. But it also serves as a brake of sorts . The bike would fall over before it rolled away. I honestly would never even think of my bike rolling away no matter how steep of an incline I parked it on.

I looked at the Click-Stand Site . Nice idea . But how is that more portable then a stand mounted on . You have to carry the thing . I don't get the purpose over a regular kick stand . Looks like it can be used as a clothes line also :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I looked at the Click-Stand Site . Nice idea . But how is that more portable then a stand mounted on . You have to carry the thing . I don't get the purpose over a regular kick stand . Looks like it can be used as a clothes line also
I use the stand specifically for a carbon fiber bike and it fits in a cradle alongside the bottle cage.
IMG_20201005_0824549.jpg

How exactly would the bike roll away ? The standard (Kickstand) is essentially your brake . When the Bike is canted at an angle the disc brakes would rub if you attempted pushing it leaned over that far . I would also guess with brakes locked you'd prematurely wear out the lines that carry fluid . The idea of a standard is to hold the bike up. But it also serves as a brake of sorts . The bike would fall over before it rolled away. I honestly would never even think of my bike rolling away no matter how steep of an incline I parked it on.

I looked at the Click-Stand Site . Nice idea . But how is that more portable then a stand mounted on . You have to carry the thing . I don't get the purpose over a regular kick stand . Looks like it can be used as a clothes line also :)
The reason for me wanting a parking brake is because I'm getting an e mountain bike that is going to be used alot on trails. I think that using the brakes when the bike is parked is a good idea no matter where it is, and I don't think that leaving the brake levers lightly depressed doesn't hurt anything.

My wife's Evelo Compass etrike has brake locks on both the front and rear brakes. They are mechanical disc brakes.

Attachments

• BrakeThumbLockEngaged.jpg
    BrakeThumbLockEngaged.jpg
    551.2 KB · Views: 346
  • BrakeThumbLockReleased.jpg
    BrakeThumbLockReleased.jpg
    400.1 KB · Views: 351
Another way is with a frame lock, the kind that mounts semi-permanently to the frame behind the seat, and has a curved rod or bolt that goes between the spokes when you lock it. Arbus is one brand ($40 to $45), and Axis Defender another ($60+)

I like this adjustable lanyard. You can apply as much brake pressure as needed:
P1080852a.jpg P1080851a.jpg

When not in use, it hangs from the bars out of the way:
P1080854a.jpg

It came in a package with the "Steer Stopper" which is another product I like:
P1080782a.jpg P1080783a.jpg P1080781a.jpg

Back