Ebike for Short But Hilly Commute

CD5254

Hello all, this is my first post!

I am moving to a new city and am planning on purchasing an ebike to commute about 4 miles to school each day. I had selected the RadCity, but now I am concerned that it will not be able to handle the steep hills surrounding my new house. I have calculated the max grade at about 10%.

Will the RadCity be able to handle these hills or should I consider purchasing another model?

Max budget: $1,500. I am 6'0'', 205 lbs, and in decent shape.

Thanks for the guidance!

I like the rear hub drive bikes, but thinking I might consider a geared rear hub over a direct drive when talking hills. A Rover might work out better for you.

I will definitely go for a mid-drive. For hills you can't beat the mid-drive. If you need to ride steeper than 12% hills hub motors won't do well

I would recommend the Giant Lafree E+2. It has a Yamaha mid drive motor. It rides like a dream. It will take every hill like a champ. It's available at your local bike shop (LBS). It is $2k. It comes in 3 sizes and 2 colors. The Lafree E+1 has a belt drive and it's priced a $2.4k. Either is a great choice. The Lafree is 100 times a better bike than a Rad City or Rover. Yes, it costs more but you will get a warranty and most likely free tune ups for at least a year at you LBS. I own this bike and it's AMAZING!! I know you said $1.5k but I urge you to move up a smidge in cost. A tune up costs $100 and you will need one after a few hundred miles. If something goes wrong with the bike the 2 year warranty along with service is priceless. Trust me you will put way more miles on your ebike than you expect because they are a blast to ride. They are totally worth the investment.

Last edited:
I'm riding 15% grades with a geared hub motor at 320 lb gross, including 170 lb me and 60 lb supplies. Juiced and Magnum sell geared hub motor bikes. I added the hub to the front of my unpowered bodaboda. The yubabikes bodaboda came with 24 speeds so I can pedal the 330 lb up the 15% grade by myself if there is a battery problem. Geared hub drives don't drag unpowered like most mid drives (except the yamaha that has a slip clutch).
I had a 1000 w direct drive motor on for 7 months on this bike, and it used about 40% more electricity on the same route as the 1200 w geared hub motor does. I have about 40 short hills on a 30 mile weekly commute (twice).

I would recommend the Giant Lafree E+2. It has a Yamaha mid drive motor. It rides like a dream. It will take every hill like a champ. It's available at your local bike shop (LBS). It is $2k. It comes in 3 sizes and 2 colors. The Lafree E+1 has a belt drive and it's priced a $2.4k. Either is a great choice. The Lafree is 100 times a better bike than a Rad City or Rover. Yes, it costs more but you will get a warranty and most likely free tune ups for at least a year at you LBS. I own this bike and it's AMAZING!! I know you said $1.5k but I urge you to move up a smidge in cost. A tune up costs $100 and you will need one after a few hundred miles. If something goes wrong with the bike the 2 year warranty along with service is priceless. Trust me you will put way more miles on your ebike than you expect because they are a blast to ride. They are totally worth the investment.

Agreed! You will ride your ebike way more than you anticipate.

Back