ebike for commuting, europe

anton.somora

Region
Europe
I am planning to buy an ebike for my daily commute to work about 16 km in total. The route goes over hilly terrain (600m total elevation gain), it's tarmac through the city forest (11km) to the city (5km in the city). I am thinking of something lightweight, reliable and versatile.I'm not familiar with all aspects of ebikes, but from what I've picked up I've selected the following candidates:
Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL EQ, 3600 €
https://www.specialized.com/sk/en/turbo-vado-sl-4-0-eq/p/170202?color=263669-170202
15 kg, Specialized 1.1 35 Nm, 320 Wh, AL Fork, Deore 10
Canyon Roadlite:ON 6 + fenders + lights, 2700 € + 100 €
https://www.canyon.com/cs-sk/elektr...e-on-6/2788.html?dwvar_2788_pv_rahmenfarbe=BK
17 kg, Fazua 50 60 Nm, 250 Wh, Carbon fork, Deore 12
Canyon Commuter:ON 7, 3300 €
https://www.canyon.com/cs-sk/elektr...r-on-7/2356.html?dwvar_2356_pv_rahmenfarbe=BU
18 kg, Fazua 50 60 Nm, 250 Wh, Carbon fork, Deore XT 12
FOCUS Paralane² 6.6 Commute + lights, 3600 € + 50 €
https://www.focus-bikes.com/int/185929-paralane-6-6-commute
16 kg, Fazua 50 60 Nm, 250 Wh, Carbon fork, Shimano 105 20
n+ Team bike (Mercedes) + fenders + lights, 3200 + 100 + 50 €
https://nplusbikes.eu/products/n-mercedes-benz-eq-formula-e-team-ebike?variant=40482568470709
17 kg, Bafang mid 65 Nm, 250 Wh, Carbon fork, belt + Sturmey Archer 5
BMC Alpenchallenge ONE, 3300 €
https://www.bmc-switzerland.com/intl_en/alpenchallenge-amp-al-city-one.html?currency=eur
20 kg, Shimano 6100, 504 Wh, AL fork, belt + Shimano Nexus 5
Any advice on what I should focus on, what doesn't work well and what does? I mean different combinations carbon/aluminium fork, cable or chain, gear hub vs derailleur, different motors etc. Very thx

Ok, I can see you are from Slovakia. Let me tell you about the motors of your candidate e-bikes:
  • Specialized SL 1.1: Low power, low torque.
  • Fazua: Low power, low torque
  • Bafang (250 W hub-drive motor): Not good for hills (bad climber, apt to overheat)
  • Shimano 6100. Full power, low torque motor.
Anton: It looks you were looking at lightweight e-bikes that are still in the minority. These e-bikes have low power motors and small batteries because these motors and batteries reduce the e-bike weight. Unfortunately, they don't meet the objective of a commuter e-bike: To come to work with no sweat on. Most of e-bikes you chose have been designed for physical workout, not for commuting.

I suggest you look to so-called "full power" commuter e-bikes. The weight with the larger battery might be 24 kg but it does not matter. It is because "full power" e-bikes, while still equipped with 250 W (nominal) motors, can produce over 500 W of peak power and far higher torque. And they often have better gearing than the "lightweight" e-bikes.

Could you please look (for instance) at these e-bikes:
  • Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0
  • Trek Allant 7 or 8
  • Giant Explore E+ Pro
  • Many more brands with "full power" motors. Specialized 1.2 or Bosch CX or SyncDrive Pro or Brose or stronger Shimano motors come to one's mind.
I have been to your country during last vacation. I could have taken my Vado SL 4.0 or "full power" Vado 5.0 there. Guess which e-bike I chose?

1631809967683.png

"Full power" Vado 5.0 in Slovakia. Nominal weight 24 kg. I climbed Cigeľka Mt (and Javor Mt. before) with this e-bike. Max grade was 18.4%.

1631810053120.png

Approaching the Polish border.

1631810271709.png

The sight from Stráňany Pass

1631810136021.png

On 12% climb towards Lesnica Pass

I would have never chosen a lightweight e-bike for Slovak mountains unless I were young and strong.

Last edited:
thank you stefan, maybe you are right and I really need an ebike with more power. slovakia is hilly, but I live near Bratislava, where the White Carpathians are just right. I live at the foot of the Carpathians and I go there 1-2 times a week to run, so I figured, it must be much easier with a bicycle, and the ebike must be basically comfortable :).But now I'm thinking I'll probably rent an ebike and try it out for real
BTW: i am not strong or young, but i trying to be stronger :D

But now I'm thinking I'll probably rent an ebike and try it out for real
That's the best idea, Anton. 600 m of total elevation gain over 16 km is not that little!

My brother rides Giant Trance E+ 2 Pro, which is a full-power e-MTB. He is strong but he tells me he uses Assist 2 of 5 to not get sweaty on his daily commutes, and we both have no hills around...

Last edited:
The choices are limited right now and one has to take what is. I ended up buying the Kona Dew-e Dl because I found it at a very good discount (2700 Euros) in my size (L) and basically, according to the review here, it met what I was looking for. And so far I have no regrets

My observations:
- the engine is fine, quiet and surprisingly very powerful, 60 Nm is enough, I mostly ride on normal eco/mode anyway, I still exceed 25 km/h where there is no assisted mode anymore
- Fazua motor would probably be enough for my needs, but the 500Wh battery extends the use (I spend about half the battery on my route) and I don't have to carry an adapter to work to charge it
- weight in the city is important, sometimes you have to carry the bike and then you feel it
- I probably would have been satisfied with a model without a carbon fork and integrated frame, which was a bit cheaper, but they didn't have it in my size
- we'll see how it will be with reliability, so far satisfaction

The choices are limited right now and one has to take what is. I ended up buying the Kona Dew-e Dl because I found it at a very good discount (2700 Euros) in my size (L) and basically, according to the review here, it met what I was looking for. And so far I have no regrets

My observations:
- the engine is fine, quiet and surprisingly very powerful, 60 Nm is enough, I mostly ride on normal eco/mode anyway, I still exceed 25 km/h where there is no assisted mode anymore
- Fazua motor would probably be enough for my needs, but the 500Wh battery extends the use (I spend about half the battery on my route) and I don't have to carry an adapter to work to charge it
- weight in the city is important, sometimes you have to carry the bike and then you feel it
- I probably would have been satisfied with a model without a carbon fork and integrated frame, which was a bit cheaper, but they didn't have it in my size
- we'll see how it will be with reliability, so far satisfaction
Hey Anton. Are you still enjoying your Dew-e DL? Mine is going to arrive in about a week. My bike shop traded to get me the right size in a 2021 model. The 2022s seem to be unavailable til spring.

Definitely, it was a good choice for my needs. It's light, powerful and the battery is capable of handling about 60 km on hilly terrain. But it is winter season in my country, so i am using it less now. Only one thing is really annoying though, if I want to turn on the lights, i have to go through the menu, there is no dedicated button, but another control unit from Shimano has it, so i maybe upgrade sometime.
But I had a problem with the motor, which is resolved nowadays, but I am not sure if Shimano motor is a good choice. Long story short: It was probably just some manufacturing fault, although resolved very quick and Shimano has great customer support service, I found out that there is no spare parts for the motor. So if something happens out of the warranty my options are limited to a complete motor replacement. On the other side, according to the service center (and forums) this motor is on the market some time and it is quite reliable so we will see. But as I have found out, the situation is not better with other motor manufacturers, although they do have some spare parts, these are not available and the motors break down quite often.

Glad to hear that you are happy with this bike. I'm lucky that a bike shop just 1.5 miles/ 2.5 km from my home will sell me the bike so I can go to them if I have problems with the motor. I picked it partially because of the lighter weight, it should be able to handle my hilly city, and in my test ride, I can ride it without assist sometimes. We are also in winter, but here we sometimes have warm weeks in the winter so I'm hoping to be able to ride it when it arrives.

Anton,. What tires came on your Dew-E? Do you like them for your commute? Have they had any flats? Do you ever ride on slick spots like a little mud on the road? How did they do?

I replaced the WTB horizon because they are not commuter tires. They are quite slippery on wet asphalt and mud, and besides, they are prone to punctures.
Now I have Specialized sawtooth (there wasn't much choice in the 650b size), I put them on as tubeless, a bit heavier and slower than the Horizon, but more comfortable and safer. So far I like them a lot and no puncture so far.

I replaced the WTB horizon because they are not commuter tires. They are quite slippery on wet asphalt and mud, and besides, they are prone to punctures.
Now I have Specialized sawtooth (there wasn't much choice in the 650b size), I put them on as tubeless, a bit heavier and slower than the Horizon, but more comfortable and safer. So far I like them a lot and no puncture so far.
Thanks. Though I have Maxxis Re-Fuse they have the same issues for my city riding and I'm looking for something else that is safer in a little mud or slightly wet conditions. I'm not sure I am ready to try tubeless but definitely need something else. Thanks for your response.

Checkout Schwable JonnyWatt tires, see the thread. Minimum 2.35" width maybe issue for some mudguards.

Back