EBC owners flats, spokes and overheating issues?

alohacrusin

Region
USA
HI EBC owners:
From researching, it seems hub motors could have flats more often than mid-drive and that hub drives tend to loosen spokes over time. To be fair, i know both factors are hugely dependent on how the rider rides and in what terrain/total load weight on bike etc. But, for the EBC lineup, they are all comfort cruisers and I'd imagine you all ride them as such meaning paved roads (maybe very, very light gravel paths) but overall cruising short or long-distance. (even the model r is just a cruiser with mild front suspension and wider tires).

So, this leads back to the question: have you owners experienced issues with regular flats and/or either broken or loose spokes?
By regular, say 1x month with 30-50 miles riden (just throwing out a gen range).

Also, any issues with motor overheating if going on extended hill climbs of 1-3k maybe up to 5k elevenation gains? (i know id be using multiple batteries).
- i understand it is not meant for this but ive wathced videos and seen fb posts of rides with simillar elevation gains on EBC bikes

My intention is to use this a car replacement and cruise on paved roads (couple rougher of country-style roads unavoidable on the routes i intend to ride on). Distances around 30-70miles on mostly flat terrain. Sometimes might do hills (1k-5k elevation gain rainge).. I want to minimize flast. But, I also want rust-resistance as i live by the ocean and I like the durability of EBC and they have sealed bearings and seem to be made for oceanside life. EBC also have a motor that has the power range i'm wanting.

Thank you!

(Sorry for any typos)

Aloha!

I've had my bike for just over a month now, so I'm not really qualified to answer your questions.
But, from my limited experience I can say this though. It is obvious that EBC bikes are over built. I anticipate that with proper care and maintenance my X and my wife's S will last a long time. I haven't noticed any over heating issues, but I will keep an eye on it.

Good luck!

I appreciate your help. EBC bikes are very well built machines. They are one of my top choices so far due to rust resistance, warranty, financial stability of company (they're growing and I think will surive any downturns) and power. As my bike will be my literally every day vehicle, i want to minimize chances of issues by getting the right bike that can handle my weather and needs. Thank you again to Tino and anyone else who replies. I'll check with FB owners group too.

Last edited:
I'm not an EBC owner but have experience with several styles of ebikes as well as a number mech bikes. I can't knowledgeably comment on any overheating issues, but...

Getting a flat on any of these bikes can be a frequent occurence that can be minimized with some precautions. I use thorn strips/tire liners in all my wheels. This simple step has reduced the incidence of flats to less than once a year per bike. Others report using a tire sealant in their tubes, Tannus Armour tire inserts, tubeless tires, etc, all with increasing effectiveness. Regardless of what approach you take, from nothing on up, it is a good idea to be prepared to fix a trail side flat. I carry a flat kit with a spare tube, tire levers, patch kit, tire boot, a mini pump, and a CO2 inflator with sevral cartridges. Practicing at home with your flat it is also an excellent idea.

One of my sons is an engineer for a bicycle component company that among other things designs and sells wheels. He tells me that they are having quality issues with their suppliers where spokes are coming in without proper tensioning. They've identified several reasons for this, but the bottom line is that it pays to check your spoke tensions and adjust as necessary to avoid breakage.

I'm not an EBC owner but have experience with several styles of ebikes as well as a number mech bikes. I can't knowledgeably comment on any overheating issues, but...

Getting a flat on any of these bikes can be a frequent occurence that can be minimized with some precautions. I use thorn strips/tire liners in all my wheels. This simple step has reduced the incidence of flats to less than once a year per bike. Others report using a tire sealant in their tubes, Tannus Armour tire inserts, tubeless tires, etc, all with increasing effectiveness. Regardless of what approach you take, from nothing on up, it is a good idea to be prepared to fix a trail side flat. I carry a flat kit with a spare tube, tire levers, patch kit, tire boot, a mini pump, and a CO2 inflator with sevral cartridges. Practicing at home with your flat it is also an excellent idea.

One of my sons is an engineer for a bicycle component company that among other things designs and sells wheels. He tells me that they are having quality issues with their suppliers where spokes are coming in without proper tensioning. They've identified several reasons for this, but the bottom line is that it pays to check your spoke tensions and adjust as necessary to avoid breakage.
EBC builds their own wheels in house. I would think that by doing so would lessen the chance of failure do to poor quality.

Last edited:

Thank kyou Sierratim for info. Yes, I will have to learn the basics of bike care. I'll invest in those itesm as well sthe tire liners you mentioned. Tubeless might be a good idea for me but the weight is an issue. That is also a challenge that i'm also worried about a little as I live on 2nd floor and must store my bike inside. i wish EBC had a walk mode...my plan is to use 2x8's to make a cheap ramp.​

and thank you Tino. Yes, they do and is a reason i think of their quality. 12G is thicker than most other brands too.

Aloha !
Will you buy a beautiful semi custom EBC in your favorite color and finish ?

Because:
Life is too short for an ugly primered flat black plain 'ol bike.

BTW, you'll be able to ' throttle ' your hub motor powered bike up those steps as you walk alongside
walk buttons ~ 'meh'
no great planking required.
Mike

Aloha !
Will you buy a beautiful semi custom EBC in your favorite color and finish ?

Because:
Life is too short for an ugly primered flat black plain 'ol bike.

BTW, you'll be able to ' throttle ' your hub motor powered bike up those steps as you walk alongside
walk buttons ~ 'meh'
no great planking required.
Mike
Thank you for reply made me laugh. whatever bike i buy, i'm leaning twd the boring ol' black color :). less attention i get, the bettert. maybe red as it reminds of Ford's Torch Red....or something that says "a l o h a" haha

Back