EASYMOTION WIRELESS BLUETOOTH CONTROL

I have a "Samsung Notebook 3" and me and the store owner tried for 40 minutes to get the module to recognize the my phone/the bike to no avail.
I don't believe they have worked out all the bugs on this module. I have NEVER had a problem connecting to a bluetooth device with my phone.

Do you mean Samsung Note 3? That's the phone I happen to have as well. Glad someone with that model is testing it out. Thanks for taking one for the team, as it were.

I purchased the Bluetooth module from the store where I bought my bike and it seems to work. For short trips and around town, I don't think it is needed. The stock control unit works well and allows for use of the throttle. The Bluetooth module works with PAS only. For longer trips, it seems like it could be useful since it provides user adjustable assist from 0 to 100% in 1% increments. This could be useful when you want to better control the amount of assist while pedaling. It has a lot of functionality, ability to hook up to a heart rate monitor etc. It also has a map based trip computer that can be used for navigation. The display is customizable, and specific trip related data can be displayed. One negative, it did seem to deplete the cell phone battery fairly quickly during use.

Last edited:
I also have the Bluetooth module and agree the stock control unit is good enough. The battery drain and data drain for maps spoils it. I have written to BH direct and asked for the maps to be downloadable, but doubt that will ever happen. The best thing is the battery planing for assist whilst peddling as I can get back after a day out with some battery left.

@John L, I have not used the module long enough to see how much cell phone battery drain would occur. But did notice a drop in charge after 20-30 mins or so of use. I got the impression that I would have to hook my phone up to the USB charging port on the hub dynamo powered light on my bike in order to go for a few hours without draining the cell phone battery. I was impressed with the PAS adjustability though. With the stock control module, there are really only 3 assist levels: eco, normal and full speed. The module provides much more control over PAS assist level compared to this.

@John L, I have not used the module long enough to see how much cell phone battery drain would occur. But did notice a drop in charge after 20-30 mins or so of use. I got the impression that I would have to hook my phone up to the USB charging port on the hub dynamo powered light on my bike in order to go for a few hours without draining the cell phone battery. I was impressed with the PAS adjustability though. With the stock control module, there are really only 3 assist levels: eco, normal and full speed. The module provides much more control over PAS assist level compared to this.
With the new Evo display the PAS choices are 0, 30, 50, 70 and 100%. I was hoping the BT module would allow me to drop to 20 or 25% to extend my range. Now I'm wondering if it's worth the expense and trouble. What do you think?

My impression is that the PAS response is more even across the %assist range with the bluetooth module compared to the control unit that comes with the bike. At 0%, they should be the same, except no throttle with the module. With the control unit on my bike, 30% provides a little assist, 50% provides more assist, 70% and 100% go full speed when pedaling with almost no force. Not sure if this is typical with other bikes or not. In contrast, with the module, 70% does not make the bike go full speed when pedaling with almost no force. So, they seem to behave differently. In theory, with the bluetooth module, one should be able to achieve an assist level that is lower than the assist delivered with the control unit set at 30% since the blue tooth module can be adjusted in 1% increments.

With the new Evo display the PAS choices are 0, 30, 50, 70 and 100%. I was hoping the BT module would allow me to drop to 20 or 25% to extend my range. Now I'm wondering if it's worth the expense and trouble. What do you think?
To be honest I have had it for 4 weeks and used it 3 times. I find the stock control perfect for everyday use, however if your ride out is 50/60km then using to to plan the battery life is very good. The biggest pain for me is the draw on the battery of the iPhone because it downloads the maps on route eating data as well. I find using the tomtom app on the bike much better.

To be honest I have had it for 4 weeks and used it 3 times. I find the stock control perfect for everyday use, however if your ride out is 50/60km then using to to plan the battery life is very good. The biggest pain for me is the draw on the battery of the iPhone because it downloads the maps on route eating data as well. I find using the tomtom app on the bike much better.
I agree, the stock control unit works well for everyday use. How does the bluetooth module help to plan battery life? I wonder if one can turn off the map feature? I like the functionality of the app, since you can modify it to display a variety of metrics.

I know very little about the BT module. That said, can the app display the metrics of the bike display, allow the rider to program PAS % with your phone's BT on and internet connection turned off? I ask because I use other apps in this way for just the reason it saves battery and data. I think it's dependent on how much of the app resides on the phone.

I know very little about the BT module. That said, can the app display the metrics of the bike display, allow the rider to program PAS % with your phone's BT on and internet connection turned off? I ask because I use other apps in this way for just the reason it saves battery and data. I think it's dependent on how much of the app resides on the phone.
The app has quite a few displays showing different data about the bike:
* Battery check: SOH and SOC, which I believe means State of Health and State of Charge. My battery was at 95% SOH.
* Torque sensor calibration: "sensor is correctly calibrated and the voltage is correct, 1.25V," it shows a picture of the torque sensor and the torque settings for the bolts.
* System errors: shows a picture of the bike and the errors with comments.
* Bike profile: shows wheel size, crank length, battery capacity, locate my bike settings and motor settings.

There are also multiple metrics one can choose related to the following: ascent, cadence, calories, distance, heart rate, motor power, time, power, speed and total power.

Not sure about PAS functionality when data for the BH Premium app is off. Seems like a good idea to save battery/data usage.

Last edited:
Update: some days I will use bluetooth module plan route and allow it to work out how much assist over distance. This works a treat and I can gain 10/20km over a 50km ride. The biggest problem is battery drain on the iPhone leave with 100% charge and return with 20% or less. If I use stock head unit and iPhone with tomtom planning route I return with 50% or more battery left on iPhone
I have bought Easyacc USB brick which I use, but it's something else to carry!!! I would say unless you really want bluetooth head, stick with supplied head unit and enjoy the ride.

Two months that's a long time. I went to local bike shop and collect mine right away, but I do live in Spain so that might help. When it arrives enjoy.

Update: some days I will use bluetooth module plan route and allow it to work out how much assist over distance. This works a treat and I can gain 10/20km over a 50km ride. The biggest problem is battery drain on the iPhone leave with 100% charge and return with 20% or less. If I use stock head unit and iPhone with tomtom planning route I return with 50% or more battery left on iPhone
I have bought Easyacc USB brick which I use, but it's something else to carry!!! I would say unless you really want bluetooth head, stick with supplied head unit and enjoy the ride.

So either a hub generator or a USB hook-up to the e-bike's battery seems to be a need to run this app on an i-phone.

Which brings about another question - does an i-phone take much power from an e-bikes battery? For me at least, I have a great need for app use while on an e-bike. Just haven't gotten my bike yet so I don't know...

Which brings about another question - does an i-phone take much power from an e-bikes battery? For me at least, I have a great need for app use while on an e-bike. Just haven't gotten my bike yet so I don't know...

Well, an iPhone 5S battery is 6Wh, an iPhone 6S is 6,5Wh and 10Wh for the Plus model, and your higher end e-bike battery is typically 400-500Wh depending on the model.
The 6S 6,5Wh battery claims to last about 8 hours of average use, so lets halve that for your use, which means 4 hours on 6,5Wh = 1,625 Watts of draw. So your phone will drain your 400Wh e-bike battery at a rate of 1,625 Wh per hour.

You could run just your phone on it for 246 hours, or 10 days. And 20 days for "average use".

Well, an iPhone 5S battery is 6Wh, an iPhone 6S is 6,5Wh and 10Wh for the Plus model, and your higher end e-bike battery is typically 400-500Wh depending on the model.
The 6S 6,5Wh battery claims to last about 8 hours of average use, so lets halve that for your use, which means 4 hours on 6,5Wh = 1,625 Watts of draw. So your phone will drain your 400Wh e-bike battery at a rate of 1,625 Wh per hour.

You could run just your phone on it for 246 hours, or 10 days. And 20 days for "average use".
HA! Well that answers that!!!
The older I get the more redundancies I need. Never want to be stranded. I worry too much. :)

Back