Easy Motion Street: System Power Cuts Out

Hello Electric Bike Review Forum,

I have found the information provided on this site very useful. A few months ago, I upgraded from my $699, 250W front wheel ebike kit, which I had placed on my 20 yr old Mt. bike for commuting, to the $2999 BH East Motion Street. The ebike kit, while somewhat minimalist, has had no problems since day one. In contrast, the BH Easy Motion Street, while feature rich, and ideal for my commute, has been in the shop where I purchased it in SF for a total time of approximately 1 month. Unfortunately, it still suffers from an intermittent System Power Loss issue.

The Street ran fine for about 50 miles. It then began intermittent episodes of sudden System Power Loss. System power loss would result in the display screen going blank with simultaneous loss of power at the motor, when in motion. In theses cases, the system would not power back on when the power button was pressed. In other cases, the unit worked fine up to my destination, however, it would not power on when I wanted to depart. In some cases, it worked fine transporting me to work or home, but would not power on after work or the following day. Sometimes, removing the battery and replacing it would eliminate the problem. However, in several cases, the battery had to be removed and replaced multiple times. In one case this did not work, and the bike would not power on, despite multiple battery remove/install cycles and I ended up taking it to the shop, since it would not power on for several days.

During the first visit to the shop, the shop personnel suggested that the battery was not making contact with the electrical contacts on the frame and that I should use Velcro to hold the battery firmly to the frame. This theory was disproven by lifting the battery several mm from the frame, which did not result in power loss. The shop inserted a piece of foam into the frame above the battery. The problem persisted.

During the second visit to the shop, the shop personnel replaced the wiring harness and controller. They informed me that the problem persisted intermitedly after this. The shop personnel, in consultation with the BH Easy Motion technical service representative, decided to replace the controller again and replace the old style display with the updated display. Subsequent to this, I rode the bike for ~10 miles in SF with no issues. However, when I rode the bike to work, it lost system power twice on the way home, once while in motion on a slight upgrade and another time after trying to power on after removing the bike from The BART train.

I really like the features of the BH Easy Motion Street bike. However, I mainly use my old ebike-kit retrofitted Mt. Bike, as the BH Easy Motion Street has either been in the shop, would not power on, or does not provide engender confidence that I will be able to get where I need to go in a timely manner. I am also concerned about the safety of a bike that suffers from intermittent system power loss, as I often rely on the ebike power to quickly cross busy intersections during my commute.

Any suggestions on how to proceed? Is System Power Loss a known Problem with the BH Easy Motion system? It seems the shop has replaced all system components except battery, torque sensor and motor.

i have the eco lite and had power problems, the power would quit and the display would go dim. i would let it rest for 30 seconds and it would restart and i could continue riding for varying distances depending on the load. replacing the controller fixed this problem. now the controller will quit and show code 12 over temp but it does reset and i can continue. i am researching this problem dont know if outside temp of 95 is reason or if the hill i climb are the cause. runs good in the am and under light load.

Hello EasyMotion Rider,
By, "the display would go dim," do you mean the entire display went blank as if the unit was turned off? If so, that is what my Street does intermitedly.
I have never seen any "codes," such as "code 12."

One of the reasons I am wondering if there is a known System Power Loss issue with these BH Easy Motion bikes is that I experienced the same issue with the Evo Eco Lite model, that appears to use very similar system components. I test ride that model first and experienced the System Power Loss issue on the test ride. The store owner looked it over and after a few minutes, we were able to power it back on then he also saw that System Power Loss occurred a second time. That is one of the reasons I did not purchase that particular bike. Later my Street model developed the same issue, as described above, which is when I recalled that I saw the same issue during the test ride of the Evo Eco Lite.

Easy Motion should replace the bike - it is a lemon. Or the bike shop doesn't have the skill to fix the bike. This should not be your headache.

I had intermittent power loss that appeared to be related to the torque sensor.

I have the EM Street & I only experienced this once & it was because my battery wasn't seated fully. Now when I put my battery in, I always hit it a couple times to make sure it's in all the way. Then I lock it. Haven't had an issue since then and I've ridden about 450 miles or so.

Totally agree that your bike should be replaced completely and that's what I'd insist at this point.

Seems like the BH Easy Motion Street Has a new issue: transient drive power loss accompanied by Error code 5 on the display, which apparently has something to do with the motor or motor sensor.

I did also replace the battery plug to controller (just last week) which has solved the transient power problems I was having.
Someone also suggested the holder for the display can be slightly warped if the mount is tightened too much.

Mike
NeoJumper 26"

I spoke with the BH Easy Motion Technical Service Rep today.

He suggested to try two additional things:
1-replace wire between controller and display unit.
2-replace battery.

Evidently, the battery management system (BMS) that is contained within the battery is designed to cause the battery to, "go into a deep sleep," under certain conditions (low voltage etc). Malfunction of th BMS can cause the battery to shut down when it is not supposed to. Removing it and replacing it can cause it to wake back up.

He indicated that if this does not fix the issue, BH Easy Motion will replace the bike with a new one.

I hope the battery replacement works....

i'm new and have a question. I wanted PowerMe's advice because you looked at both bikes I am considering. I couldn't find a direct email so I'm posting my question here.

I am also short, about the same age and out of shape ( though by now, you probably are in a lot better shape then when you first started riding) and I live in a hilly area too. I was reading your questions when you first were deciding which bike. I was already set to get the easy motion bike, but I went to another shop the other day and they had an izip e3 path plus 2015 that was returned after a few months. I can get this bike for almost half the price of the easy motion bike and they will give me a new warranty so it will be almost like new. They said it was returned because the person wanted a moped instead.

I've been making comparisons, both have their pluses and minuses. I was able to touch the ground with the izip, with the seat all the way down. Though I will probably have to raise it once I feel more comfortable on it for better placement of my legs for pedaling.

My questions are:
1. now that you've had your bike for a while, if you had the opportunity to get an izip for a good price, would you consider it now or stick with the easy motion?
2. both bikes are way to heavy for me to lift on a bike rack, how do you manage it?

Hi @cbg

I never did get to try out an izip bike as there were none for me to try. So Easy Motion was the only brand I got to try in person and then at first I rode the EVO Eco, which is the same size/geometry as the Street. After that I ordered the EVO Street. I figured the 26" tires would be better for me than 700c (aka 28") tires. The Path only comes with the 700c tires. I also wanted the integrated battery in the downtube, which is what the Easy Motion bike has.

Can't really answer the question on "if I had to do it over again..." as I really don't have anything else to compare my ebike to. I do like my Street, although I wish it were 10 lbs lighter and I do wish the battery was larger than 11.6ah so I could get more range on one charge.

As for lifting the bike onto my bike rack, I take off the battery so that gets the bike to it's lightest possible weight. I then lift the front part of the bike first and get that into the rack, then I lift the back end and pivot it up and onto the rack.

Good luck in your search!

Ok, Let me just rephrase the question this way. You said that you ended up having to raise the seat higher and you can not reach the ground sitting on the seat now. Do you think being a little higher than you are now would bother you ( because of the wheels) since you have been riding a while now. I never reached the ground when I rode my bikes when I was younger, I would just rest off the seat in stop and just pop onto the pedals to go. I know I'm older now and since I haven't been on a bike in a while, just wondering if I'd get used to that. The bikes seem so heavy compared to non electric, so I'm a little hesitant with the size. Just wondering if you feel a lot more comfortable now and would the height be a major concern still?
Thanks

I've never been able to reach the ground sitting on a seat that is properly positioned for optimal leg extension even when I was younger, so no, it would not (and does not) bother me to have to get off the seat upon stopping. My seat is raised about 4 or 5 inches--not super high, but yes high enough that I cannot reach the ground with my feet. I happen to have a Specialized hybrid non-electric bike and it has 700c tires. I just pop off the seat and put my foot down when I stop and start the same way, 1 foot down, 1 foot on the pedal, take off and then slide onto the seat. It's what I have to do to ride any bike with the seat at the proper height for my leg extension, even a bike with 26" tires.

The EVO Street just happened to have features I wanted and in addition it also happened to have the frame size that worked for me. Could I have also had a good experience with an izip Path+? I suspect so, but since I never got to try one, I can't really answer that and thus can only make a theoretical guess.

If you have the luxury of trying both that's your best bet.

Last edited:
i'm new and have a question. I wanted PowerMe's advice because you looked at both bikes I am considering. I couldn't find a direct email so I'm posting my question here.

I am also short, about the same age and out of shape ( though by now, you probably are in a lot better shape then when you first started riding) and I live in a hilly area too. I was reading your questions when you first were deciding which bike. I was already set to get the easy motion bike, but I went to another shop the other day and they had an izip e3 path plus 2015 that was returned after a few months. I can get this bike for almost half the price of the easy motion bike and they will give me a new warranty so it will be almost like new. They said it was returned because the person wanted a moped instead.

I've been making comparisons, both have their pluses and minuses. I was able to touch the ground with the izip, with the seat all the way down. Though I will probably have to raise it once I feel more comfortable on it for better placement of my legs for pedaling.

My questions are:
1. now that you've had your bike for a while, if you had the opportunity to get an izip for a good price, would you consider it now or stick with the easy motion?
2. both bikes are way to heavy for me to lift on a bike rack, how do you manage it?

I test rode both the Street and the IZIP and can confirm that they are both nice bikes. I ended up going with the Street because of the weight distribution (no battery on rear rack and smallish geared hub motor) and the stopping power and feel of the hydraulic disk brakes. I would recommend test riding both, if possible, as the decision comes down to personal choice. It is also advantageous to live close to the dealer of the bike you choose in the event it requires warranty service.

The Street is great for commuting and general riding. However, the unit I purchased has suffered from intermittent episodes of Sudden System Power loss. This has resulted in several trips to the bike shop where I purchased it. The warranty service overall has been prompt. The latest attempt to fix it appears to have worked. The battery was replaced and it has not had System Power Loss in the last 135 miles ridden. Hopefully, this problem doesn't come back. When I was in the shop, the owner showed me another bike of the same brand with 7000 miles on it. So, the electrical issues of the bike I purchased may not be typical.

Regarding loading the heavy bike onto a rack, there is a bike rack made for ebikes that comes with a detachable ramp to load the bike. Link for the Thule easy fold rack below:

http://www.amazon.com/Thule-9032-EasyFold-Carrier/dp/B00FSRNH4G

This video shows the aluminum ramp in use:

http://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-Racks/Thule/TH9032.html

Hello EasyMotion Rider,
By, "the display would go dim," do you mean the entire display went blank as if the unit was turned off? If so, that is what my Street does intermitedly.
I have never seen any "codes," such as "code 12."

One of the reasons I am wondering if there is a known System Power Loss issue with these BH Easy Motion bikes is that I experienced the same issue with the Evo Eco Lite model, that appears to use very similar system components. I test ride that model first and experienced the System Power Loss issue on the test ride. The store owner looked it over and after a few minutes, we were able to power it back on then he also saw that System Power Loss occurred a second time. That is one of the reasons I did not purchase that particular bike. Later my Street model developed the same issue, as described above, which is when I recalled that I saw the same issue during the test ride of the Evo Eco Lite.

Yes the display would go dim, you could read some of the numbers just barely i would shut off the display and wait 30 seconds then turn it back on and continue riding till the next episode. Since then BH gave me a new updated display to try which did not correct the problem. Now they gave me a replacement battery to try and as soon as the temps drop below 100 i will try it. my bike always acts up on my ride home a 10 mile ride with 1000 feet climb in elevation overall and i usually leave work at 6pm when the temps lately are over 95 degrees which is very difficult for me especially when my bike quits on my last grade which is 5% to 10% for half a mile. if this dosent fix my bike i am sending it back for them to fix or replace i am tired of changing parts and my local shop cannot test it to determine the problem.

Hello Electric Bike Review Forum,

I have found the information provided on this site very useful. A few months ago, I upgraded from my $699, 250W front wheel ebike kit, which I had placed on my 20 yr old Mt. bike for commuting, to the $2999 BH East Motion Street. The ebike kit, while somewhat minimalist, has had no problems since day one. In contrast, the BH Easy Motion Street, while feature rich, and ideal for my commute, has been in the shop where I purchased it in SF for a total time of approximately 1 month. Unfortunately, it still suffers from an intermittent System Power Loss issue.

The Street ran fine for about 50 miles. It then began intermittent episodes of sudden System Power Loss. System power loss would result in the display screen going blank with simultaneous loss of power at the motor, when in motion. In theses cases, the system would not power back on when the power button was pressed. In other cases, the unit worked fine up to my destination, however, it would not power on when I wanted to depart. In some cases, it worked fine transporting me to work or home, but would not power on after work or the following day. Sometimes, removing the battery and replacing it would eliminate the problem. However, in several cases, the battery had to be removed and replaced multiple times. In one case this did not work, and the bike would not power on, despite multiple battery remove/install cycles and I ended up taking it to the shop, since it would not power on for several days.

During the first visit to the shop, the shop personnel suggested that the battery was not making contact with the electrical contacts on the frame and that I should use Velcro to hold the battery firmly to the frame. This theory was disproven by lifting the battery several mm from the frame, which did not result in power loss. The shop inserted a piece of foam into the frame above the battery. The problem persisted.

During the second visit to the shop, the shop personnel replaced the wiring harness and controller. They informed me that the problem persisted intermitedly after this. The shop personnel, in consultation with the BH Easy Motion technical service representative, decided to replace the controller again and replace the old style display with the updated display. Subsequent to this, I rode the bike for ~10 miles in SF with no issues. However, when I rode the bike to work, it lost system power twice on the way home, once while in motion on a slight upgrade and another time after trying to power on after removing the bike from The BART train.

I really like the features of the BH Easy Motion Street bike. However, I mainly use my old ebike-kit retrofitted Mt. Bike, as the BH Easy Motion Street has either been in the shop, would not power on, or does not provide engender confidence that I will be able to get where I need to go in a timely manner. I am also concerned about the safety of a bike that suffers from intermittent system power loss, as I often rely on the ebike power to quickly cross busy intersections during my commute.

Any suggestions on how to proceed? Is System Power Loss a known Problem with the BH Easy Motion system? It seems the shop has replaced all system components except battery, torque sensor and motor.
I'd contact the USA distributor directly. And follow up with a letter. A quality brand would just replace the bike after multiple failures at repair

I just got my bike a week ago. I don't know whether I'm having the same problem, but when I climb a hill in pedal assist the motor is intermittently turning on and off but I still have pressure on the petal. I increased the gears to have more pressure on the pedal. I noticed in the very low gears the assist wasn't working well. I'm on 10th gear or so. I always thought the lower gears were for climbing hills. The display is on, so I don't no if this is the same problem you'll are having. Is this normal? I'm getting tired very fast because of this. The hills here are very steep.

Last edited:
Because it's torque sensing, yes, the motor is detecting how much push you are applying to the pedals. When you're in a very low gear and can easily pedal, you're not actually applying much torque to the rotation. When in a higher gear or going up a steeper hill and you're having to push those pedals harder, torque is greater on your part and the bike motor senses that and responds.

Then again, it's possible your torque setting might need to be tweaked, which is something best done by an experienced mechanic with the right torque tool, as advised on this board and by Easy Motion.

I just got my bike a week ago. I don't know whether I'm having the same problem, but when I climb a hill in pedal assist the motor is intermittently turning on and off but I still have pressure on the petal. I increased the gears to have more pressure on the pedal. I noticed in the very low gears the assist wasn't working well. I'm on 10th gear or so. I always thought the lower gears were for climbing hills. The display is on, so I don't no if this is the same problem you'll are having. Is this normal? I'm getting tired very fast because of this. The hills here are very steep.

Have you tried using maximum pedal assist when you're in lower gears? If so your torque and or cadence sensor needs attention

Back