E-MTB Fully vs Trek for commuting and weekend fun

pretzel4break

Hi Guys,
I am new here and I am seeking advice to purchase my first electric bike.

I am mostly using my current gazelle bike for commuting in the week days and in some weekends might go to some more forest like path. My daily commute route has both pave way and rough terrain, basically I can choose.
I have to mention I never had a mountain bike or e-bike. The reason I am getting an e-bike is because my work place now is somewhere which I have to go 10 km uphill (on the pave way or rough train), and literally I need a shower once I am at work.

But because it is a lot of money to invest to buy an e-bike, I am thinking to get something which has all the things I want, If I am paying 3500k for an ebike why not paying 4k and get something which can also have fun with it. I do not have money to buy both commute e-bike and an e-bike for sport.

From E-MTBs I liked:
Bulls Sonic EVO AM 3 Carbon 625 (2020)

CUBE STEREO HYBRID 140/160 TM 625 (2020)

From not real E-MTBs:

Cube Stereo Hybrid 120 Race 625 Allroad (2020)

Moustache Xroad FS 3 2020

Riese und Müller Culture GT touring

I kinda like the Cube Allroad, since it seems like they try to give you both commuting and E-MTBing. What do you think?

What country are you from?
Get the Specialized Turbo Levo (the basic aluminium version) for US$4560 and then you'll have the reference e-MTB, the Mercedes-Benz in its class, the model everybody makes copies of.

What country are you from?
Get the Specialized Turbo Levo (the basic aluminium version) for US$4560 and then you'll have the reference e-MTB, the Mercedes-Benz in its class, the model everybody makes copies of.

Thanks for the reply. Germany.
In E-MTB fully category I looked at it, but somewhere it mentioned that its engine has some problem and sometimes you have to replace it. Price wise it is still around 4k Euro (FSR 2019 models) which is ok.

Please do not trust fake news :) The motor is Brose (you must know the name) and the motor was redesigned by Specialized in 2019 to cure some earlier problems. The great features of that motor are high torque and silent operation. You cannot get a better e-MTB, not in that price range.

Please also watch videos on YT: Electric Mountain Bike Network. Many of them are devoted to Turbo Levo. Also "Rob Rides e-MTB" has Turbo Levo as his personal mountain bike.

Please do not trust fake news :) The motor is Brose (you must know the name) and the motor was redesigned by Specialized in 2019 to cure some earlier problems. The great features of that motor are high torque and silent operation. You cannot get a better e-MTB, not in that price range.

Please also watch videos on YT: Electric Mountain Bike Network. Many of them are devoted to Turbo Levo. Also "Rob Rides e-MTB" has Turbo Levo as his personal mountain bike.

Just out of curosity can one get the base version and then upgrade to 700wh battery like the one in 2020 Comp?

You have to ask the Specialized dealer. The question is vital.

I have looked at the German website of the Specialized. You can see there that the M2 style battery comes in both 500 and 700 Wh capacities.
Levo basic: 4800 EUR. Levo Comp: 6200 EUR. The difference is as much as 1400 EUR. The M2 battery is 1300 EUR (500 or 700 Wh). It looks it might make sense to buy the Comp instead.
Now, the 2020 models are far more expensive than 2019 models and I think there are no major differences between the 2019 and 2020 models. Ask the Specialized dealer if they could offer the 2019 models and at what price.

Last edited:
$3k Raleigh Kodiak IE plus mods and accessories

Attachments

• 7D41D1D0-F28F-4078-8CE7-8259764A5E73.jpeg
    7D41D1D0-F28F-4078-8CE7-8259764A5E73.jpeg
    482.2 KB · Views: 365
Yes, you can put the bigger battery on the 2020 levo. But it costs a grand, which is what the comp upcharge is, and you get a whole host of component upgrades with it - shifters, suspension, brakes, etc.
'20 levo base does have a dropper seatpost for this year.

Back