e-Joe Anggun - Cruiser - (Question)

Peter Lamberu

In the video review for the e-Joe Anggun Court mentioned that the motor was not that powerful or did not have much torque. Would this be an issue if the bike was to go off road (grass)? Also can this bike maintain a speed of 15-10mph using only the twist throttle?

Looking through the stats that you listed the battery and motor looks like it could produce decent power (I don’t know if the weight is a factor). Other than those questions that I have, this bike looks like a very well rounded affordable ebike compared to others.

I would appreciate any feedback from the community from anyone that has knowledge on this particular ebike, thank you.

It's a geared 350 watt and I think it's pretty darn powerful. 15 mph throttle has been replaced with 20 mph on the new ones. I'm a big fan and so are my customers who have them. It's not as strong as a Bafang 500 motor, but I think that works to the bike's advantage in this case. It feels more like a bike than some others in it's class. The 16 ah battery is great for the price too.

I would appreciate any feedback from the community from anyone that has knowledge on this particular ebike, thank you.
Hi Peter! This is Court, I'm the guy in the video and the person who made the site and these forums etc. nice to meet you :)

I like the Anggun because it provides a lot of utility for a decent price and e-Joe has been responsive and supportive to everyone I know who has bought from them. What you get with this bike is a perfectly average performance (for the US market). It has a 350 watt motor with 36 volts of power (which is middle of the line) and has a larger capacity at 16 amp hours so you can get more range with it. The fenders, rack and suspension post are all great but the best thing (in my opinion) is the battery position (center and low). The bike should reach 20mph easily on flats for a rider ~180lbs and will definitely go through grass as long as it's in the flats as well.

I apologize if the review came off as calling this bike "weak" it's just more of a commuter than a strong climber but the fact that it has a throttle and pedal assist mode make it very versatile. You will extend your range and climb better using assist (because you're forced to pedal along) but it's nice to have a throttle when you want to just sit back and relax. Hope this helps! Thanks for your input @Chandlee EBS

Hi Court. And hello contributors.

I have owned a EJoe Anggun for a month now. I probably got about 400 miles on the bicycle itself. My first impression was good and that never changed. It is an excellent bike but there are tiny issues. Upon delivery I had to take it back to the shop for a detailed tuning. There are complaints of brake squeaking but this did not occur with my bicycle. The disc brakes are excellent. However it's important to keep them adjusted and note the rear brake is far less powerful than the front brake, at least on my bicycle it is. From what I know of the manufacturer the owner continuously improves the product by tweaking individual parts. From what I've been told he goes to China regularly and has created this line of bicycles from independent sources of parts that he chooses himself. One thing your review missed is that the seat is not comfortable enough for long leisurely rides. In fact it is extremely uncomfortable after 30 minutes. Once I replaced the seat it doubled the joy of riding this wonderful bicycle. It's good to know this because sometimes we may dismiss this problem and live with it. One should never do that with a bicycle with the range and joy potential of this one.

My bicycle had the problem of the chain coming off quite often. When you go over a big bump sometimes the chain flails about and falls off the front gear. It's easy to put back on but it still falls off sometimes even know I have had it adjusted. Also the left pedal armature is held to the framed by standard screw which often becomes loose. It did on my bike, not saying it happens on every one. I simply took it to a bike shop and have them add Loctite to the screw and torque it down significantly more than it was from the factory. It was a bit disturbing to have that become loose while on a long ride without tools.

What I like the best about this bicycle is how balanced it is. By balanced I mean when you are riding it in pedal assist mode level one is perfect for slower speed cruising where you don't want to wear is through a community at top speed. Level one assist allows you to receive assistance peddling but drops your speed so that you can navigate more intricate pathways and around people if you're in a populated area. It also means the power of the motor is subdued so that you don't lurch forward which could be hazardous when cruising the boardwalk with people and other bicycles skateboards etc. on it.

At Level 2 pedal assist you get a lot more power assist but only up to about 14 mph which is a nice clip and you can add significant range on level two but also maintain a fairly rapid clip. On level III you move a little bit faster than level two and at level IV pedal assist you really moving at the maximum speed of the bicycle. In fact it's hard to keep up with the motor because the gearing isn't so low that you can pedal slowly but instead you must pedal quickly at the level four pedal assist. When you are hauling booty across town with some serious speed it is hard to add to battery range when the motor is doing most of the work... This is when you wish you had a lower gear because your legs can hardly keep up the pace. Generally you're moving at about 20 mph in this situation.

I rode this bicycle 40 miles in one day on one charge without depleting the battery more than 80%. That was pretty amazing, but the bike was brand-new and the battery had a full charge. I recommended that you buy a Belkin 30 minute three-hour and six-hour charger which cuts out electricity at those time points. It's important never to over charge your battery so timing your charges is an important practice.

The experience of riding an Ebike like this one is surprisingly enjoyable. I say this because it shocked me how much I was able to appreciate the passing surroundings over what I would've experienced on my standard bicycle. I do not like getting exhausted or feeling stressed or strained when I ride. My age is 58 and I am over the stress and strain of heavy uncomfortable bike trips. This bicycle allows me all of the joy of riding when I was a kid without any of the stress or strain to my body as it gets older. Also I get plenty of exercise and have lost a significant amount of weight in one month. I think this is important for a huge range of the population who like to have fun but do not like to exercise intensely to consider how different a bicycle like this is and what it can do for them in terms of every day life improvement. It seems that two hours on the bike each day delivers incredible amounts of aerobic exercise in "a stealth mode." You're having so much fun that you don't even notice that you're exercising. But You are!

Over time you find yourself planning trips with this bicycle. There are many hidden joys of riding a bike like this. It's like building a relationship with an entirely new kind of transportation. Not unlike a horse, It is virtually nothing like a standard bicycle though it can be ridden as one. The flexibility of the motor drive gives a person so much range and possibility to explore the local neighborhood that you really get to know your community. It fits in the back of almost any lift-back car and quite often will fit in the trunk. It fits perfectly inside the back compartment of my Prius but you have to deal with the weight of the bicycle. Maneuvering it into the car can be difficult. You have to be careful not to allow the wires to twist as the front wheel which rotates more than 360°. You can do major damage to the electric light, the computer and to the braking system if you allow the front wheel to rotate more than normal. A bike rack is best but be sure to remove the battery and put it in the car before you depart.

The only additions I made to the bicycle were I put a motion sensitive security alarm on it which is about $2.50 from China. The hardwired headlight was replaced by the manufacturer with a battery powered light because the amperage was wrong and it simply did not work. This is fine because the new light serves as a backup for a new CREE LED light I got on Amazon for $25. And it works great by the way.

I brought my bicycle at Electric Bike Central down on India street in downtown San Diego. Matt James took very good care of me and gave us a good deal. He also gave me a bike for an entire afternoon to ride around the waterfront in order to experience what it is to ride an electric bike. I thought that was pivotal to my personal understanding of what it is to own an electric bike. If you can manage it buy three and negotiate a discount from any dealer. So get a couple friends together and buy in bulk and you'll save at least $150.00 on your bike. This is a good bike to buy in bulk. At least so far after a month I'm happy with it. No telling what the future holds but for now I feel as though I made a good investment.

Final thoughts. This bicycle is either the high-end of low-end bikes or the low-end of the high-end bikes. Either way it is not a temporary or bridge vehicle to a better bike. You will not feel the need to traded in for a more robust model. That's what makes it a brilliant design. Enjoy your travels.

Update November 2014. Try as they might the chain keeps coming off his bicycle. You had a bump and the darn thing just flies off. It happened again tonight. I may have to ask the manufacturer to replace the drive train. They took two links out of the chain and that helped but it's still too loose and it still comes off. This does not sour my affections for this wonderful bicycle but this problem serves no one and it's turning out to be a bigger problem than I thought.

Bill Zimmermann [email protected]

Last edited:
Hi Court. And hello contributors.

I have owned a EJoe Anggun for a month now. I probably got about 400 miles on the bicycle itself. My first impression was good and that never changed. It is an excellent bike but there are tiny issues. Upon delivery I had to take it back to the shop for a detailed tuning. There are complaints of brake squeaking but this did not occur with my bicycle. The disc brakes are excellent. However it's important to keep them adjusted and note the rear brake is far less powerful than the front brake, at least on my bicycle it is. From what I know of the manufacturer the owner continuously improves the product by tweaking individual parts. From what I've been told he goes to China regularly and has created this line of bicycles from independent sources of parts that he chooses himself. One thing your review missed is that the seat is not comfortable enough for long leisurely rides. In fact it is extremely uncomfortable after 30 minutes. Once I replaced the seat it double the joy of riding this wonderful bicycle. It's good to know this because sometimes we may dismiss this problem and live with it. One should never do that with a bicycle with the range and joy potential of this one.

My bicycle had the problem of the chain coming off quite often. When you go over a big bump sometimes the chain flails about and falls off the front gear. It's easy to put back on but it still falls off sometimes even know I have had it adjusted. Also the left pedal Armature is held to the framed by standard screw which often becomes loose. It did on my bike, not saying it happens on every one. I simply took it to a bike shop and have them add Loctite to the screw and torque it down significantly more than it was from the factory. It was a bit disturbing to have that become loose while on a long ride without tools.

What I like the best about this bicycle is how balanced it is. Bye balanced I mean when you are riding it in pedal assist mode level one is perfect for slower speed cruising where you don't want to wear is through a community at top speed. Level one assist allows you to receive assistance peddling but drops your speed so that you can navigate more intricate pathways and around people if you're in a populated area. It also means the power of the motor of that so that you don't lurch forward which could be hazardous when cruising the boardwalk with people and other bicycles skateboards etc. on it.

At Level 2 pedal assist you get a lot more power but only up to about 14 mph which is a nice clip and you can add significant range on level two but also maintain a fairly rapid clip. On level III you move a little bit faster than level two and at level IV pedal assist you really moving at the maximum speed of the bicycle. In fact it's hard to keep up with the motor because the gearing isn't so low that you can pedal slowly but instead you must pedal quickly at the level for pedal assist there is no option for this. But you are hauling booty across town with some serious is speed but it is hard to add to battery range when the motor is doing most of the work... This is when you wish you had a lower gear because your legs can hardly keep up the pace. Generally you're moving out about 20 mph in this situation.

I wrote this like 40 miles in one day on one charge without depleting the battery more than 80%. That was pretty amazing, but the bike was brand-new and the battery had a full charge. It is recommended that you buy a Belkin 30 minute three-hour and six-hour charger which cuts out electricity at those time points. It's important never to over charge your battery so timing your charges is an important practice.

The experience of riding an Ebike like this one is surprisingly enjoyable. I say this because it shocked me how much I was able to enjoy the passing surroundings over what I would've enjoyed on my standard bicycle. I do not like getting exhausted or feeling stressed or strained when I ride. My age is 58 and I am over the stress and strain of heavy uncomfortable bike trips. This bicycle allows me all of the joy of riding when I was a kid without any of the stress or strain to my body as it gets older. Also I get plenty of exercise and have lost a significant amount of weight in one month. I think this is important for a huge range of the population who like to have fun but do not like to exercise intensely. It seems that two hours on the bike each day delivers incredible amounts of aerobic exercise in a stealth mode. You're having so much fun that you don't even notice that you're exercising. But You are!

Over time you find yourself plop plotting and planning trips with this bicycle. There are many hidden joys of riding a bike like this. It's like building a relationship with an entirely new kind of transportation. It is virtually nothing like a standard bicycle though it can be written as one. The flexibility of the motor drive gives a person so much range and possibility to explore the local neighborhood that you really get to know your community. It fits in the back of almost any lift-back car and quite often will fit in the trunk. It fits perfectly in the back of my Prius but you have to deal with the weight of the bicycle. Maneuvering it into the car can be difficult. A bike rack is best but be sure to remove the battery and put it in the car before you depart.

The only additions I made to the bicycle were I put a motion sensitive security alarm on it which is about $2.50 from China. And it works great by the way. Also I added up and near to the back. I recommend one that is easily removed because you don't always need it. I brought my bicycle at Electric Bike Central down on India street in downtown San Diego. Matt James took very good care of me and gave us a good deal. He also gave me a bike for an entire afternoon to ride around the waterfront in order to experience what it is to ride an electric bike. I thought that was pivotal to my personal understanding of what it is to own an electric bike. If you can manage it buy three and negotiate a discount from any dealership. So get a couple friends together and buy in bulk and you'll save at least $150.00 on your bike. This is a good bike to buy in bulk. At least so far after a month I'm happy with it. No telling what the future holds but for now I feel as though I made a good investment.

Final thoughts. This bicycle is either the high-end of low-end bikes or the low-end of the high-end bikes. Either way it is not a temporary or bridge vehicle to a better bike. You will not feel the need to traded in for a more robust model. That's what makes it a brilliant design. Enjoy your travels. Bill Zimmermann [email protected]

Just browsing and I have a question or a request. Would you mind starting a thread on alarms? I don't even know where to start! Thanks!

image.jpg

Just do a search on eBay and Amazon for bicycle alarms. They're pretty straightforward and you could pick the type of alarm you like yourself and with the futures you prefer.

Back