E-bikes as work vehicles

Over50

I thought this was an interesting video about the e-bike doctor. Then I thought perhaps it might be an interesting thread topic where we can hear from folks on the forum who use e-bikes for work. Not commuting to work but rather as work vehicles. Could be delivery riders, police etc:

Plumbing company in Stockholm, Sweden, uses e-bikes to go to customers. I think they’re at least 3 plumbers with e-bikes.
1576436610228.jpeg

Picture from their website

I did a upgrade on an organ Saturday from my cargo bike left. Rode the bike 3 miles to a church, rolled the bike right into the sanctuary and 8' from the organ console. Had about 3 lb tools & parts, a 2 lb soldering iron, an extension cord. Changed three 39 year old capacitors for new ones. Couple dozen e-capacitors changed, about a dozen to go. Also 35 tantalum capacitors, that stink when they short. That organ went silent in 2017, back to 100 watts/channel with a dozen capacitors changed in each amp.
Thursday took some steel angle & carbide drills to another church to repair an piano bench. Had been sat on by an elephant attending the charity dinner: broke 3 dowel pins and the side out. Enough power tools screwdrivers dowel stock glue and a workbench at that church to effect the repair. Reinforced the wrong side, going to take another piece angle iron out Monday.
In summer I haul weed killer, new sprayers as required, various tools out to my summer camp to do landscape & maintenance jobs. Also 30-40 lb food/soda and occasionally clean clothes. Bought a 100 lb chain hoist last month, wondering if I dare pedal it out there. Might use the "2 tikes" plastic wagon as a trailer, but have to work up a remote brake to go down steep hills. Those Burley flatbed bike trailers on sale black Friday didn't have brakes, either.

Last edited:
With that bike, they really can carry everything including the kitchen sink.
:)
There is a video on their website (it’s in Swedish so I’ll spare you) where one of the plumbers says that they’ve had comments about not being able to transport the largest tools. His answer to that was that he need those things once or twice a year and may use a car for that job.

Here's a couple of commercial "throttle" ebikes allowed in NYC and another as a cab somewhere in Europe I believe.
Pretty cool.

Attachments

• 3VSYPL5SKRCU3H6QSGD4VIPTOY.jpg
    3VSYPL5SKRCU3H6QSGD4VIPTOY.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 563
  • o0onbwzxxs401.jpg
    o0onbwzxxs401.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 531
  • 919089695_14820aa211_b.jpg
    919089695_14820aa211_b.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 471
Germany is by far the biggest adopter of electric cargo bikes (presumably outside China), last year Germans bought 40,000 electric cargo bikes according to figures from the Two Wheeled Industry Association (ZIV), and this year the German standards institute issued its first cargo bike standard DIN 79010 which will likely be adopted as an EN European cargo bike standard. Recent designs from VW and Gazelle (D10) show the way forward. This Dutch report offers an insight into the future of light electric powered urban logistics.

A commercial laundry that services Hospitals, Hotels, and University campuses in Washington, DC, Philadelphia, and Boston, I've always thought Wash Cycle could use ebikes to help with their work, I've seen their riders towing 3-4 trailers in a daisy chain.

The Worksman Mover e-trike uses an Electric Bike Technologies hub motor that has a reverse function, this video shows a customer in Brooklyn using them for his catering business. In Europe Pashley make their P2 light delivery bicycle now available with a Pendix mid-drive motor option.

Last edited:
New Zealand postal service are using a combination of pedelec bikes and electric-4-wheeled vehicles. there are still some traditional cycling posties, and various courier companies use Honda 110s. Im starting to see more electric cargo bikes being used in the central city (Christchurch) seemingly these are company vehicles being used for delivery purposes, the central city being redesigned after the 2011 earthquakes is becoming more cycle and pedestrian friendly and less oriented toward motor vehicles. cycle lanes and cycle paths are spanning outward from the city to outer suburban areas and it's now much easier than ever to cross town on a bike..and as i've discovered it's so much more fun to move around the city on an ebike.

This summer I used an electric gravel road bike as a bike to get to work events in neighbouring towns. From my base in Vancouver Island BC, I did work trips to Bellingham WA, North Vancouver BC, and Whistler BC. The shortest trip was about 100 km each way, with the trip there and the trip back being different days. The longest trip was 275 km round-trip in one day (it took me 3 batteries, of which one I had previously charged and left with relatives who conveniently lived along the route). Some of the trips I did solo, some I did with other staff members. In each case I recharged on the ferries, and at our destinations. I have a thread in the touring sub-forum here going into more detail.

We also use a Kona Electric Ute for doing errands for our shop (such as when I went and picked up rags for the repair shop today):

1576643852245.png

Nothing as impressive as some of the examples of people running courier companies, landscaping companies, Uber Eats, etc., using e-bikes. But at least we can say our business owns no cars. Our business both sells bikes and uses bikes administratively, so we're as much of a bikes-only business as we can reasonably be.

Last edited:
More and more law enforcement, EMS, FIRE, security, park rangers, and beyond are seeing the benefits to using e-Bikes to enhance their missions in providing good service to the communities they serve!

As an example: https://www.bosch-ebike.com/us/everything-about-the-ebike/stories/lapd-us/

Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays everyone!

Clint
Retired LEO
CA POST Bike Patrol Instructor
IPMBA e-Bike Task Force member
E-Bike Presenter & Instructor⚡

Attachments

• 20191113_164539.jpg
    20191113_164539.jpg
    554 KB · Views: 440
More and more law enforcement, EMS, FIRE, security, park rangers, and beyond are seeing the benefits to using e-Bikes to enhance their missions in providing good service to the communities they serve!

As an example: https://www.bosch-ebike.com/us/everything-about-the-ebike/stories/lapd-us/

Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays everyone!

Clint
Retired LEO
CA POST Bike Patrol Instructor
IPMBA e-Bike Task Force member
E-Bike Presenter & Instructor⚡
Great looking bike! Three cheers for having a retired LEO on the forum. Welcome!!!

Thanks! Had a wonderful opportunity to meet and be interviewed by Tyson of EBR on e-Bikes and law enforcement, at the recent BOSCH eBike Systems NA 5th Anniversary Celebration!

Last edited:
An interesting recent study done in Seattle comparing ebikes against traditional delivery vehicles
Sheth, M., Butrina, P., Goodchild, A., & McCormack, E. (2019). Measuring delivery route cost trade-offs between electric-assist cargo bicycles and delivery trucks in dense urban areas. European Transport Research Review, 11(1), 1–12. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12544-019-0349-5
And a news article: What will make cargo bike package delivery succeed in New York?

at some point I think they will take over the cars and delivery trucks in cities. if more the years pass the more crowded they become from cars and trucks

Without underestimating the lobbying power of legacy logistics suppliers and the ancillary businesses they support, I think it is an undeniably logical next step for cities to adopt e-bikes for courier services, taxi services, and more. The NYC speed limit is 25mph, that is theoretically what the flow of traffic moves at, and many e bikes are capable of that speed today (in reality in NYC traffic moves closer to 35-40mph, and that is the danger of cycling with traffic here). But if we think about the speed limit, and the much smaller footprint of e bikes, there is a huge opportunity. The major knock against e bikes is exposure to bad weather, but I think we are not too far away from better weather neutralizing technologies in ebikes (I wouldn't mind being a kid in the R&M Load canopy on a winter day). The point I'm trying to make is, less cars = less pollution, less car-related deaths, and a generally less noisy city. Imagine walking down the street on a nice day without having to listen to or watch out for honking fast-moving 4,000 pound metal boxes all around you. Then again, if all cars were self-driving and going the speed limit, we might not need to worry about this.

Without underestimating the lobbying power of legacy logistics suppliers and the ancillary businesses they support, I think it is an undeniably logical next step for cities to adopt e-bikes for courier services, taxi services, and more. The NYC speed limit is 25mph, that is theoretically what the flow of traffic moves at, and many e bikes are capable of that speed today (in reality in NYC traffic moves closer to 35-40mph, and that is the danger of cycling with traffic here). But if we think about the speed limit, and the much smaller footprint of e bikes, there is a huge opportunity. The major knock against e bikes is exposure to bad weather, but I think we are not too far away from better weather neutralizing technologies in ebikes (I wouldn't mind being a kid in the R&M Load canopy on a winter day). The point I'm trying to make is, less cars = less pollution, less car-related deaths, and a generally less noisy city. Imagine walking down the street on a nice day without having to listen to or watch out for honking fast-moving 4,000 pound metal boxes all around you. Then again, if all cars were self-driving and going the speed limit, we might not need to worry about this.

ohh that will be like science fiction movies I see sometimes...no noise in the cities....

Back