E-Bike lights - Are they worth getting?

Hi,

I've converted my bike in to a front wheel hub ebike using a Cyclotricity kit.

Having looked online to see what additional things I should get I have come accross ebike lights.

Can anyone tell me if they're worth getting? What are the pros and cons?

One thing I'm not sure of is which cable could it be attached to to make it compatable.

Any sugestions on which one to get?

Sorry for so many questions in one thread. Thanks
If you do get a headlight, I suggest get one that is StVZO compliant, as they offer a sharp, focused light pattern to illuminate ahead without blinding oncoming traffic

I focus more on LUX rather than Lumens when choosing a light

Last edited:
Just thought of something, added visability - visabilaty stickers on the battery and control box.

I work on the othe outskirts of Cardiff, so there are some country roads, without lights. I think that'd be a pretty good idea.

Personally I don't think I should be messing with wires etc. Knowing me I'd break the thing. Shame though, maybe as time goes on I'll become more knowledgeable about things like that.

One thing I'm not sure of is which cable could it be attached to to make it compatable.

Is this your controller? If it is, the blue bullet connectors you connect the battery terminals to the controller could be replaced by cutting off the bullets and crimping on Anderson powerpole connectors, using the special Anderson die crimping tool, you can then insert an inline Anderson tap that could connect to a DC jack splitter and extension cable (to run to the rear light), however it looks like Cyclotricity supply a separate controller box cover and I'm not sure the Anderson tap will fit inside, so your power wires and Anderson tap may end up outside the box, if you ride in the rain you might want to wrap them in a neoprene cover or slapguard and/or use liquid tape or electrical insulation tape on the connectors to prevent water getting in. I just did this on my bike to add the Sate-Lite (StVZO compliant) front and Roxim R1 rear ebike lights that run off direct current from my 36v battery. Initially I wired up the polarity incorrectly because I am not very technically competent but if you buy colour coded Anderson connectors you can simply connect red to red, and black to black, make sure to remove the battery before cutting or crimping the battery terminal wires or sparks will fly! Because Grin Tech sell a 3-way splitter I now have a spare 36v DC jack which I could use for some other accessory in future.

Last edited:
If you do get a headlight, I suggest get one that is StVZO compliant, as they offer a sharp, focused light pattern to illuminate ahead without blinding oncoming traffic

I focus more on LUX rather than Lumens when choosing a light
I've always looked at the number of lumens when buying. Will definitely check LUX too nextime. Thanks

Back