E-bike and e-motorcycle manufacturers set to triple sales in 2020

FlatSix911

Region
USA
City
Silicon Valley
Interesting reading... nice to see a silver lining from the global pandemic.

While the COVID-19 pandemic decimated parts of the global economy, it also created unique economic drivers in others. One of the “winners” in the new world we live in has been electric two-wheelers like e-bikes and e-motorcycles, which commuters have turned to in huge numbers. Most electric bicycle and electric motorcycle companies are fairly tight-lipped about their sales numbers. But with the huge demand spawned by consumers switching to two-wheeled EVs lately, several major manufacturers have opened up their books and revealed just how much they’ve grown over the past year. Major Italian electric motorcycle manufacturer Energica recently shared that the first eight months of 2020 have seen an order volume of over 200% of its entire 2019 sales, with over €4.3M in revenue so far this year. That puts Energica currently on track to triple its 2019 sales by the end of this year.

The largest electric bicycle manufacturer in the US, Rad Power Bikes, is also on track to more than triple its 2019 sales this year. That puts Rad Power Bikes at a projected $250 million in revenue for 2020, no doubt buoyed by successful launches of budget-minded e-bikes like the $1,199 RadRunner and $999 RadMission electric bikes, in addition to their longtime favorites such as the $1,499 RadRover electric fat tire bike. A major driving force behind this steep spike in sales has been the shift toward personal electric mobility driven by commuters seeking to avoid crowded public transportation. And Rad Power Bikes’ CEO Mike Radenbaugh recently explained to NPR that he doesn’t see this as a temporary spike, but rather as the new normal:

We think a switch was flipped and light has been shed on e-bikes as a tool for the masses. So now it’s not just about keeping up with this demand that has spiked after COVID-19 from people working from home, shopping from home, looking for socially distant ways to get around, but this is a switch that was flipped on and it’s not turning off for years to come, and so the work we are doing now is all about planning for future demand. It’s not about planning for next summer’s orders, it’s about planning for orders 10 years from now.

Hmmm. If anyone can predict where any given trend is going to be in 10 years, I'd like your prognostications on the stock market. For example, is
Boeing going down the toilet due to their many corporate-level blunders, or will they be riding (flying?) high in the next couple of years?

These prophecies may be right on, but trends come and go with unpredictable rapidity. Oh, and what's the word on flying cars now? These things have been "just around the corner" since the mid-20th century. Better yet, an e-flying car?

Hmmm. If anyone can predict where any given trend is going to be in 10 years, I'd like your prognostications on the stock market. For example, is
Boeing going down the toilet due to their many corporate-level blunders, or will they be riding (flying?) high in the next couple of years?

These prophecies may be right on, but trends come and go with unpredictable rapidity. Oh, and what's the word on flying cars now?
These things have been "just around the corner" since the mid-20th century. Better yet, an e-flying car?

I'm putting my money on Boeing... the e-flying car not so much. ;)

Are people actually using ebikes as transportation though?

I have a feeling vast majority of people are still using ebikes as hobby... I have no data to prove though.
Mine is the primary transport. Very many of the odometer mileages people report, though, are higher than mine and it's NOT their primary vehicle :)

The downtown of Toronto is showing a huge surge in ebikes transport, many of them messenger or food delivery vehicles. I'd guess that locally downtown the growth is far more than tripled - I'm thinking 10x since spring.

Mine is strictly for exercise/trail riding in my rural area.
I spent years commuting to work in the early 80s on my Raleigh Competition. If I were living in that same area now, I’d still be commuting that way, but with an ebike.😎

$250 million for an Ebike company is no small number, that's around 150,000 Ebikes put onto the road in just one year from just one company.

There are 200 million Ebikes in China and 250k in the USA. I looked the stat up yesterday and was amazed. Quadruple the size in population but dwarfs us in the number of Ebikes.

There are 200 million Ebikes in China and 250k in the USA. I looked the stat up yesterday and was amazed. Quadruple the size in population but dwarfs us in the number of Ebikes.
Watayawannabet that Chinese folks can get a heck of a good bike for way less than half of what we pay? Way less.

I think Japan nailed it with high speed transportation.
I believe, everyone here on EBR, are fan of efficient, high speed electric transportation to some degree.

Japan's Shinkansen bullet trains carry 9 billion passengers / year.
In operation since 1960s, travels at 320km/h (198mph), 0 fatalities.

How fast do cars on US highways travel? and how many fatalities since 1960s?
And um, Japan is ONLY the geographical size of California, but with a population of 126 million vs California's of about 40 million, or roughly 3 times the population density. Trains and similar public transport make sense in very high population density areas. Our nation could not afford, nor would it make any economic sense to run high speed rail through most states, let alone America's vast rural heartland.

Besides for efficiency, ebikes are VERY hard to beat on an MPGe basis.

Here's the math for ya':

Ebike: 1340 MPGe (when also eating locally grown food, and using solar PV to charge your ebike)
Train: 800 MPGe (full and pre-COVID)
Ebike: 740 MPGe (when also eating locally grown food)
Ebike: 570 MPGe (eating whatever ? , including Mcdonalds ? lol )
E-Motorcycle: 420 MPGe ( ZERO MMX model)
'Analogue' Bike: 340 MPGe (geez I hate that word 'analogue' to describe a regular bike, but it seems to be a common throw around here at EBR) :(
EV: (car) 120 MPGe (ok, a Tesla Model 3 is 141 MPGe, for all you T-fanboy smartazzes)
Plane: 90 MPGe (i.e. a large commercial airliner with LOADS of people on it - pre-COVID)
Motorcycle: 65 MPGe
Walking: 55 MPGe (humans are only 25% efficient in converting food to energy for transporting themselves)
2020 Prius Prime: 55/53 MPGe (City/Highway)
2020 Honda Civic: 32/42 MPGe
2020 Chevy Tahoe: 18/22 MPGe
2020 Kenworth T-800 Semi: 6 MPGe (but hey, its carrying all that NON locally grown food to your grocer - so cut it some slack)

Check out this video in case you are interested in the definitions of 'locally grown food' or how the MPGe is derived:

Last edited by a moderator:
And um, Japan is ONLY the geographical size of California, but with a population of 126 million vs California's of about 40 million, or roughly 3 times the population density. Trains and similar public transport make sense in very high population density areas. Our nation could not afford, nor would it make any economic sense to run high speed rail through most states, let alone America's vast rural heartland.Besides for efficiency, ebikes are VERY hard to beat on an MPGe basis.
Here's the math for ya':
Ebike: 1340 MPGe (when also eating locally grown food, and using solar PV to charge your ebike)
Train: 800 MPGe (full and pre-COVID)
Ebike: 740 MPGe (when also eating locally grown food)
Ebike: 570 MPGe (eating whatever?, including Mcdonalds ? lol )

E-Motorcycle: 420 MPGe ( ZERO MMX model)
'Analogue' Bike: 340 MPGe (geez I hate that word 'analogue' to describe a regular bike, but it seems to be a common throw around here at EBR) :(
EV: (car) 120 MPGe (ok, a Tesla Model 3 is 141 MPGe, for all you T-fanboy smartazzes)
Plane: 90 MPGe (i.e. a large commercial airliner with LOADS of people on it - pre-COVID)
Motorcycle: 65 MPGe
Walking: 55 MPGe (humans are only 25% efficient in converting food to energy for transporting themselves)
2020 Prius Prime: 55/53 MPGe (City/Highway)
2020 Honda Civic: 32/42 MPGe
2020 Chevy Tahoe: 18/22 MPGe
2020 Kenworth T-800 Semi: 6 MPGe (but hey, its carrying all that NON locally grown food to your grocer - so cut it some slack)

Check out this video in case you are interested in the definitions of 'locally grown food' or how the MPGe is derived:

Interesting MPGe comparison... thanks for sharing.

Back