Dost or Zen?

Neverlost99

These look similar with Dost having more power. I’m concerned about spending this much money on a direct consumer bike. It didn’t worry me much with my $1400 Luna but at this price range if something goes wrong I don’t see my local bike store really wanting to help change a flat tire with complexity of belt drive. Both these bikes look perfect with the hubs and the belt and the mid drive but this is a serious investment. For this kind of money you don’t get anything closer to bike store with the big-name manufacturers so this is a conundrum I hope you can help me sort out.

Of the two I think the Zen has better specs with its proven, well respected Bosch motor and batteries. You can usually get service on Bosch equipped bikes from any LBS that is Bosch certified, especially from Trek bike shops.

I have always been a LBS guy buying from dealers who could provide local service when needed. Up till recently all my bikes have been Bosch. I am retired so I have had the time to learn how to do most of the care and feeding of my own bikes, acquired a decent set of tools and actually have fun doing it.
I recently purchased my first direct to customer bike from Evelo. It has been a very good experience. Evelo designs their own bikes, assembles them in Taiwan and only sells in the USA. They have been around since 2012. They have a 4 year 20,000 mile warranty and a customer satisfactions guarantee where you have 21 days after the bike arrives to send it back, at their expense for a full refund, no restocking fee.

Their tech support is amazing, knowledgeable, helpful and easy to reach, often answering the call when you make it or back to you within an hour or two. If you are unable to do the repair or part replacement yourself, they will arrange for a LBS to do the work and pay for it.

By the way, changing a tire with a belt drive is really no more complicated than doing so with a chain drive. The only real difference is the belt driven bike's rear wheel with its internally geared hub, is a bit heavier.

This is the new model Omega by Evelo that I bought. It is an awesome bike with great power, 750 watt Dapu motor, 720 Watt battery, very well built and a Enviolo Automatic CVT with belt drive

20220622_175016.jpg

Last edited:
Of the two I think the Zen has better specs with its proven, well respected Bosch motor and batteries. You can usually get service on Bosch equipped bikes from any LBS that is Bosch certified, especially from Trek bike shops.

I have always been a LBS guy buying from dealers who could provide local service when needed. Up till recently all my bikes have been Bosch. I am retired so I have had the time to learn how to do most of the care and feeding of my own bikes, acquired a decent set of tools and actually have fun doing it.
I recently purchased my first direct to customer bike from Evelo. It has been a very good experience. Evelo designs their own bikes, assembles them in Taiwan and only sells in the USA. They have been around since 2012. They have a 4 year 20,000 mile warranty and a customer satisfactions guarantee where you have 21 days after the bike arrives to send it back, at their expense for a full refund, no restocking fee.

Their tech support is amazing, knowledgeable, helpful and easy to reach, often answering the call when you make it or back to you within an hour or two. If you are unable to do the repair or part replacement yourself, they will arrange for a LBS to do the work and pay for it.

By the way, changing a tire with a belt drive is really no more complicated than doing so with a chain drive. The only real difference is the belt driven bike's rear wheel with its internally geared hub, is a bit heavier.

This is the new model Omega by Evelo that I bought. It is an awesome bike with great power, 750 watt Dapu motor, 720 Watt battery, very well built and a Enviolo Automatic CVT with belt drive

View attachment 127419

Hey Alaskan,
Waiting on your review of your new Omega!

Hey Alaskan,
Waiting on your review of your new Omega!
It only has 60 miles on it thus far. Review coming soon.

Preview....great bike, well speced, well made, great power, quiet, well behaved drive train, good stiff frame, with addition of Kinekt seat post and shock stem, surprisingly comfortable...a real wolf in sheep's clothing. My first experience with a DTC bike maker and could not be more impressed with quality of service and communication.

Thanks for the quick response. Do you know if the battery is proprietary, or if the rear rack battery is proprietary? The reason I ask is that I hate when an integral part of the system becomes unobtainable. I’m kind of there right now with another brand.
Do you think the motor with the Enviolo automatic system can climb 20 % grades?

Thanks for the quick response. Do you know if the battery is proprietary, or if the rear rack battery is proprietary? The reason I ask is that I hate when an integral part of the system becomes unobtainable. I’m kind of there right now with another brand.
Do you think the motor with the Enviolo automatic system can climb 20 % grades?
I believe Evelo batteries are proprietary. That said, their customer oriented service is so good and their personnel are so knowledgeable and helpful I feel confident that I will get what I need from them over time without any worries. On a side note I had my first Evelo, an Aurora Limited, stolen without the battery. After I cooled down from being pissed at myself for leaving the garage door open over night, I got a chuckle over the fact that the idiot stole the only bike in the garage that did not have a battery mounted on it and that the only place he could get one is from Evelo who are on the lookout.

I am climbing 18% grades on my way home at 10+mph at PAS 5 while in a low but not the lowest ratio (gear equivalent for CVT) with significantly less effort than on my Bosch Performance powered bikes. The power use is significant but there is no doubt that 20% would be slower but totally doable.

Does the optional handle bar controller come with the bike or is it a separate purchase?
If you were to take off from a standstill to immediately tackling a steep ascent, is the automatic shifting on par with a traditional shifting bike? What I’m basically asking is………are there any hiccups with the Automatic system that you’ve encountered during your brief time using it?

My handlebar shifter is due to arrive today, separate shipment but included with the purchase. I have been riding the bike in full automatic for almost a week now without any problems. It downshifts quickly as soon as a steep incline is encountered. At times, if the ratio is not quite low enough, a very brief hesitation on the pedals will allow it to drop even further upon resuming pressure on the pedals.

I

I am climbing 18% grades on my way home at 10+mph at PAS 5 while in a low but not the lowest ratio (gear equivalent for CVT) with significantly less effort than on my Bosch Performance powered bikes. The power use is significant but there is no doubt that 20% would be slower but totally doable.
thats interesting. once I got my trek updated so I ahd the full amount of torque I can do 18 on eco but I am still putting out 400 watts and going about 9mph. but I don't have real low gearing and that hurt it a bit

I’ve got a Brose powered bike. 3assist levels. doing a mile long hill at top assist level/between 12 and 16% grade, I can do 8mph on a 75 pound bike And I’m still working my butt off. Dumb it down to the 2nd assist level and I’m doing 6 miles an hour And putting a lot of work in. This 1 mile climb in medium assist level will use 10% of my 724 watt hour/36 volt battery.

I though a number of manufacturers were, or had moved away from Dapu
Clearly Evelo is keen on the latest generation of Dapu motors. Evelo offers and exceptional 4 year/20,000 mile warranty on their bikes so motor durability and reliability are very important to them. Here is a link to a page detailing Evelo's experience with Dapu in terms of reliability, warranty service and performance. https://evelo.com/blogs/learn/dapu-motor-review-750w-mid-drive-1

They are compact, quiet and have impressive power. The motor on my new Evelo Omega is the same as the motor on the Aurora Limited bikes built over the past two or three years which is 750 watt continuous, 1,000 watt peak, producing 105 Newton Meters of torque. The Omega motor has been tuned to 750 continuous, 980 peak and 115 Newton meters. I was riding an Aurora until it was stolen and replaced it with the Omega. Only time will tell how durable and long lived the new Dapu motors are. At least with Evelo warranty, and its outstanding reputation for service, the risk of embracing a new motor is minimal. I can say that the motor on the Omega is way quieter than those on my Bosch powered bikes. It is also much more powerful and yes it does use more energy, which if had equal efficiency is to be expected as it produces up to 115 Newton meters while the Bosch tops off at 85 a full 26% more effective power.

Court has some comments on the performance and quality of the Dapu motor in his review of the Evelo Aurora two years ago

It is my understanding that Lovelec bikes use Dapu motors as well. Perhaps @Stefan Mikes might have some experience to share as he rides a Lovelec

Last edited:
These look similar with Dost having more power. I’m concerned about spending this much money on a direct consumer bike. It didn’t worry me much with my $1400 Luna but at this price range if something goes wrong I don’t see my local bike store really wanting to help change a flat tire with complexity of belt drive. Both these bikes look perfect with the hubs and the belt and the mid drive but this is a serious investment. For this kind of money you don’t get anything closer to bike store with the big-name manufacturers so this is a conundrum I hope you can help me sort out.
Aren't you glad you asked about the Dost and Zen....
I hope we don't have to wait too much longer to hear more about the Evelo and its 4 year/20,000 mile warranty

I am considering the DOST CVT vs the Evelo Omega or Atlas. My wife has a Evelo Galaxy 500 and we are impressed with responses from Evelo for questions we have, usually the same day. The Atlas has automatic with a manual shifter if you prefer that. It is made more for trails and such. On paper the Dost is my favorite but availability is not good. It also has cadence versus torque sensing. I like the extra battery in the down bar, whereas the Evelo has it part of the rear rack. Dost has 100lbs rear rack And stem is adjustable with front rack available. Evelo does not have these options. Seems to me Evelo has better contacts to get bikes built and parts than Dost. So it is a matter of tradeoffs and what you can live with. I am undecided because I really want a solid front rack and better battery location the Dost gives, but am leery about parts and support.

I am considering the DOST CVT vs the Evelo Omega or Atlas. My wife has a Evelo Galaxy 500 and we are impressed with responses from Evelo for questions we have, usually the same day. The Atlas has automatic with a manual shifter if you prefer that. It is made more for trails and such. On paper the Dost is my favorite but availability is not good. It also has cadence versus torque sensing. I like the extra battery in the down bar, whereas the Evelo has it part of the rear rack. Dost has 100lbs rear rack And stem is adjustable with front rack available. Evelo does not have these options. Seems to me Evelo has better contacts to get bikes built and parts than Dost. So it is a matter of tradeoffs and what you can live with. I am undecided because I really want a solid front rack and better battery location the Dost gives, but am leery about parts and support.
I have the dost and I'm very impressed with the quality and ride comfort.
That being said im looking at getting an Atlas also. I would like a torque sensor motor...
The dost does a great job though and the secondary battery location is better...especially considering if I put panniers on the Atlas it will be light in the front end..
I have 3 other ebikes and have been very impressed with the Dost..and my girlfriend lives it.

Back