Display Unit Defect - That sick feeling that you've been had

tk40yr

Region
USA
I've got that sick feeling that I've been had. Ripped off and now stuck in a relationship I can't afford to get out of. Got my Himiway Cruiser Step Thru in March. First ebike. I'm a big guy (working on it) and needed the weight capacity so my options were limited, but their closely guarded reviews were ok and lots of enthusiasm on Youtube.

After 3 months, 360 miles I stopped to visit with somebody (on a hill) and held the one brake on. No throttle. When I went to start, the bike was off and would not come on again. I assume it timed out and turned off. Started a month long ordeal of trying to get replacement parts. After paying a $100 deposit and waiting a couple weeks for inventory, they shipped me the part. It turned out to be the display unit/power switch. Easy enough fix. They THEN asked me to split the return so I was sending the controller to another customer (at my expense) and wanted the old display back. After a couple more weeks of fighting I finally got my refund.

Now, 6 weeks later and with 400 miles on the new display unit, AGAIN I stopped for a phone call. Same thing. Sat for 15-20, brake on most of it and when I went to start - DEAD! WTF! 20 miles from home and I'm dead in the water. AGAIN, I have to have somebody come pick me up in a truck. This thing doesn't fit in just anything. And AGAIN, I'm getting the runaround from Himiway. They answer in China time, so I post in daytime and they might answer at night with the usual automated "We really care, send us a video". We really care, pay us up front. We really care . . . It's like listening to automated phone managers. At least they don't have that since they only have fake US numbers.

I'm guessing that extended brake application is burning up a diode in the display or something. I'm not seeing anything else here on this, but TWICE with the same thing? Can anybody tell me this bike is NOT a piece of crap? I hate to go through the fight of returning it, ordering another and so on. I WANT this damn thing to work, but are they total crap?

I guess all I can say is best of luck and do not hold the brake on for twenty minutes!

Now I know, but since when was that prohibited? It SHOULDN'T do that.
Just making a suggestion.
Obviously it shouldn’t but then I’ve never had reason to hold my brake lever in a locked position on any bike for 3 minutes, let alone 20.

Obviously it shouldn’t but then I’ve never had reason to hold my brake lever in a locked position on any bike for 3 minutes, let alone 20.
It's not common, but it's happened to me twice now. I thought the first time was a fluke. Twice, makes me wonder.

That should have generated an error code. The exact same thing happened in June and I had to replace the display unit/switch.
Sorry, thought you might want a suggestion. How do you know that throws an error code? I'd unplug them and see if it runs. Won't hurt to try. Maybe the last time the switch opened up after all the time and the display wasn't the problem.

Sorry, thought you might want a suggestion. How do you know that throws an error code? I'd unplug them and see if it runs. Won't hurt to try. Maybe the last time the switch opened up after all the time and the display wasn't the problem.
I'm sorry if that sounded terse. I didn't mean it to. Frustrating day. I'm doing battle with Himiway in another thread. I considered that out in the field and disconnected the brake wire one at a time to no avail. Then I tried disconnecting the main plug for the display unit for 15 minutes to reset it (while I was waiting on a pickup). When I went to plug it back in, the connection wouldn't complete and looking closely, it appears one of the pins is broken off, presumably stuck in the female side of the connector. All I've got is a stub on the male side. So, now I'll also have to replace the complete wiring harness. But it still doesn't get me to what is causing the things to die in the first place. And there is an error code, 15 I think, for throttle and brake at the same time. I've seen that before. I appreciate any suggestions, but at this point I'm pretty much dead in the water until I replace the harness as well. Himiway seems determined to just send me another display unit over and over without addressing the issue. I'm pushing for a controller as well. Something is causing this thing to crap out and I'm not finding anybody else who's having the issue, so it makes me look to the next link in the chain.

Dallant, I appear to have come off a bit pissy. I didn't mean to. I have a bad hip. It is very difficult for me to get on and off my bike. I have to lay it way over on it's side and generally need to steady myself with something when I do. All those old injuries from my youth are coming back to haunt me, but I'm trying to find ways through it. So, if I get a call I have to take, I just stay on my bike, rather than risk injury trying to get off and on, especially on a hillside. SO, I end up stopped for long periods. In the future I'll be sure to shut it down before I do that, but for now I'm trying to figure out if this is a design defect in the display unit that other people are dealing with or an isolated thing. So far, I'm the only one that seems to be having it repeatedly (although they are constantly out of stock, so somebody's using them up). If it's isolated, it makes me think the controller may be a contributing factor and should be replaced as well. It's stupid to just keep replacing displays until warranty runs out. Thanks for the suggestion. Forgive the aggravation.

Dallant, I appear to have come off a bit pissy. I didn't mean to. I have a bad hip. It is very difficult for me to get on and off my bike. I have to lay it way over on it's side and generally need to steady myself with something when I do. All those old injuries from my youth are coming back to haunt me, but I'm trying to find ways through it. So, if I get a call I have to take, I just stay on my bike, rather than risk injury trying to get off and on, especially on a hillside. SO, I end up stopped for long periods. In the future I'll be sure to shut it down before I do that, but for now I'm trying to figure out if this is a design defect in the display unit that other people are dealing with or an isolated thing. So far, I'm the only one that seems to be having it repeatedly (although they are constantly out of stock, so somebody's using them up). If it's isolated, it makes me think the controller may be a contributing factor and should be replaced as well. It's stupid to just keep replacing displays until warranty runs out. Thanks for the suggestion. Forgive the aggravation.
I figured you must have a reason and you are right that it shouldn’t cause a big problem. Best of luck!

Back