Discrepancy in stated size of Tyres on my Turbo Vado SL 5 EQ

Howie7

Region
United Kingdom
After I got a rear tyre puncture yesterday I decided to change the rear tyre from the original Nimbus II sport ( very difficult to remove from rim by the way!) to Schwalbe Marathon E plus 700 x 38, I immediately noticed a very slight rubbing of the tyre on the mudguard. I thought that both tyres were supposed to be the same size and indeed both are marked 700 x38C which is the French sizing. The equivalent ETRTO for a 700 x 38C tyres is 40-622 in most of the tables I have looked at, but the Nimbus is marked with 38-622 while the Schwalbe is marked 40-622 on their side walls. 38-622 does not exist in the Marathon E plus range ( nor on some of the conversion of French to ETRTO charts that I have looked at). It appears that the Nimbus II sport that is fitted to the bike is in fact thinner than 700 x 38C and that is why I am experiencing the tyre rubbing sound. I can’t see any way to adjust the rear mudguard so as the rubbing is very mild I’ll just put up with it. Has anybody else had this problem when changing tyres especially if you have changed to Schwalbe Marathons?
Thanks
Howie

After I got a rear tyre puncture yesterday I decided to change the rear tyre from the original Nimbus II sport ( very difficult to remove from rim by the way!) to Schwalbe Marathon E plus 700 x 38, I immediately noticed a very slight rubbing of the tyre on the mudguard. I thought that both tyres were supposed to be the same size and indeed both are marked 700 x38C which is the French sizing. The equivalent ETRTO for a 700 x 38C tyres is 40-622 in most of the tables I have looked at, but the Nimbus is marked with 38-622 while the Schwalbe is marked 40-622 on their side walls. 38-622 does not exist in the Marathon E plus range ( nor on some of the conversion of French to ETRTO charts that I have looked at). It appears that the Nimbus II sport that is fitted to the bike is in fact thinner than 700 x 38C and that is why I am experiencing the tyre rubbing sound. I can’t see any way to adjust the rear mudguard so as the rubbing is very mild I’ll just put up with it. Has anybody else had this problem when changing tyres especially if you have changed to Schwalbe Marathons?
Thanks
Howie

tires really do vary in size quite a lot, and they vary in how much the rim size affects the width. 38 is the max clearance with fenders, so if the marathon is even slightly on the large size in one direction or another when mounted to those rims and inflated at your preferred pressures …

You may find the 37-622 size Marathon E plus is a much closer match to the Nimbus 38-622. The ETRTO is the actual size and the column for "size" "28x1.40, 700x35C" is somewhat of a reference. You need to allow extra space for the Smart Dual guard puncture protection strip. I have the Schwalbe's on my old former commuter full power Turbo S where the bike is a dog anyway without the motor. I don't think I would like them as much on my Creo (or a Vado SL) being lighter, lower power and frequently without using assist.

The Schwalbe link below explains the tire sizes:

Last edited:
I was perfectly aware of the potential issue, as I always check the ETRTO size prior to the tyre purchase. My choice was Specialized Pathfinder Pro 2Bliss 38-622. As 38 is the actual size in mm, I had no issues. The French or Inch sizing are treacherous!

Note: Prior to Pathfinders, I used 37-622 Schwalbe Smart Sam on my Vado SL. (Too much of rolling resistance!)

You may find the 37-622 size Marathon E plus is a much closer match to the Nimbus 38-622. The ETRTO is the actual size and the column for "size" "28x1.40, 700x35C" is somewhat of a reference. You need to allow extra space for the Smart Dual guard puncture protection strip. I have the Schwalbe's on my old former commuter full power Turbo S where the bike is a dog anyway without the motor. I don't think I would like them as much on my Creo (or a Vado SL) being lighter, lower power and frequently without using assist.

The Schwalbe link below explains the tire sizes:

Thanks, If I knew then what I know now I would have bought the 37-622 tyres! I’ll wait a bit longer to see if the rub is liveable with before another change.

I don't have a Vado SL EQ anymore so I don't remember how the fenders/mud guards were installed or if they can be adjusted. General comment in case anyone else is reading, I try to get 15mm clearance for debris when I install my fenders since I use them year round. You might get away with a slight rear fender rub but never on a front fender. As far as getting the tires off, remember it's a tubeless ready rim which means you must break the bead to the center of the rim to get enough clearance to remove the tire. Some wheels can be so tight you nearly have to stand on the bead to break it.

Back