Diamondback EBIKES Why

Vern

I wonder if Currie is spreading their line too wide. It seems like the new Diamondback bikes are just rebranded versions on the Path and Dash. Reminds me a bit of General Motors. They are doing the the same Raleigh.

Last edited:
I wonder if Currie is spreading their line too wide. It seems like the new Diamondback bikes are just rebranding versions on the Path and Dash. Reminds me a bit of General Motors.

It doesn't look like Diamondback is really in the Currie stable of brands, more like they are just buying the ebike tech from Currie. That rebadged Dash is a 2014 model though, so they should be selling it at a bigger discount compared to the 2015 Dash.

Economies of scale will lower the unit costs of research and manufacture... Sounds good to me, so long as Diamondback is a quality EBike.

The converse is true. Currie is just a rebranded version of TranzX lineup.
If you forge an agreement, you can sell the Dash and Peak too. Now, Currie has the dealership network which works in their advantage.
Currie-Raleigh-Diamondback are all nothing but TranzX bikes.

Actually, I will be visiting some of these factories in China, next summer.

The converse is true. Currie is just a rebranded version of TranzX lineup.
If you forge an agreement, you can sell the Dash and Peak too. Now, Currie has the dealership network which works in their advantage.
Currie-Raleigh-Diamondback are all nothing but TranzX bikes.

Actually, I will be visiting some of these factories in China, next summer.

I'm confused. Currie is really Accell Group, a Dutch conglomerate. They were linked (or Accell bought Currie) around 2011. The marketing shows some Currie bikes as offering a TranzZ drive, but I can't find TranzX listed as a bike brand. Accell Group seems to own Haibike, Raleigh, Currie, Diamondback, and a bunch of non-electric bikes.

So are you saying Accell is basically doing all their manufacturing in China? Does Accell own TranzX? Accell uses a lot of Bosch drives, and some drives of rather unknown origins.

I agree with Vern that all these cross branded bikes from Accell are a bit much. I go into the nearest ebike shop and find bikes that are pretty darned similar, but with different name tags. Some of the Accell or Currie literature suggests that the different brands may use different frames, that they tweak the engineering. In the bike shop I visit there are Pedego cruisers, Haibikes, a Felt or two, a couple of Stromers, and then a bunch of look alike Currie/Accell bikes.

I'm confused. Currie is really Accell Group, a Dutch conglomerate. They were linked (or Accell bought Currie) around 2011. The marketing shows some Currie bikes as offering a TranzZ drive, but I can't find TranzX listed as a bike brand. Accell Group seems to own Haibike, Raleigh, Currie, Diamondback, and a bunch of non-electric bikes.

So are you saying Accell is basically doing all their manufacturing in China? Does Accell own TranzX? Accell uses a lot of Bosch drives, and some drives of rather unknown origins.

I agree with Vern that all these cross branded bikes from Accell are a bit much. I go into the nearest ebike shop and find bikes that are pretty darned similar, but with different name tags. Some of the Accell or Currie literature suggests that the different brands may use different frames, that they tweak the engineering. In the bike shop I visit there are Pedego cruisers, Haibikes, a Felt or two, a couple of Stromers, and then a bunch of look alike Currie/Accell bikes.

There was an agreement between JD group of Taiwan and Currie sometime ago and then Currie was amalgamated into Accell.
It is because of the agreement, Currie is able to sell Dash/Peak etc. Now, Currie is also able to bring in Haibikes because of the merger. Now, they can mix n match and bring in vast array of E-bikes under different name tags ( Raleigh, Diamondback etc)

JD has factories in China and Taiwan where they manufacture the motors, BMS and even assemble complete E-bikes.

Why? One good reason for some folks is if a bike shop that carries Diamondback is your only "ebike dealer" in the area. It lets those people get a quality product and still have local support.

Good list of Accell brands on Wikipedia:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accell

Exactly right and to the point. I purchased a DB Trace EXC from my local Performance Bike shop which is 3 miles from home vs 50 , miles to the closest true ebike store. There will be a learning curve for them but it will also help them gain experience and probably sell a lot more ebikes. Can't wait to get it and start riding. Solid review here and I have ridden enough similar bikes to pull the trigger. Plus the $500 I got in store credit due to a 20% rebate weekend won't hurt either. RIDE BABY RIDE!

Exactly right and to the point. I purchased a DB Trace EXC from my local Performance Bike shop which is 3 miles from home vs 50 , miles to the closest true ebike store. There will be a learning curve for them but it will also help them gain experience and probably sell a lot more ebikes. Can't wait to get it and start riding. Solid review here and I have ridden enough similar bikes to pull the trigger. Plus the $500 I got in store credit due to a 20% rebate weekend won't hurt either. RIDE BABY RIDE!

Hope for a good first ride that's all.

I'm sure that not all retailers that carry diamondback and Raleigh will be willing to carry the EBIKES. Although their strategy will exert a greater and wider presence overall, I wonder how much it cannibalize the already established izip brand.

I'm sure that not all retailers that carry diamondback and Raleigh will be willing to carry the EBIKES. Although their strategy will exert a greater and wider presence overall, I wonder how much it cannibalize the already established izip brand.

Glimpse of some e-bike presence in regular bike shops, last I looked, on my side of the Denver Metro area:

Performance Bicycle: will order Diamondback e-bike, but none in stock

Bike Source: In stock, a varied lineup of 6,7,8 iZips and 2 Haibikes

Bicycle Village: 6 Haibikes in stock.

REI: 2 iZip, a Path+ and a Zuma in stock

That makes four regular bike shops that I know of (and most of my "research" is strictly incidental to family-shopping for a conventional bike), in the southeast metro area, where an e-bike can be purchased. All Accell. They spread a wide net to catch buyers! ;)

Last edited:
Back