Dewey down under

Dewey

Region
USA
City
Arlington, Virginia
Visiting Adelaide, South Australia.

The city of Adelaide has working phone booths offering free wi-fi, handy!

7019CD5E-2A7D-4572-B3A0-CD5BFB36009A.jpeg

Many roads have painted bike lanes.

5B80243F-DFAD-4635-9BA8-3D8852E923CC.jpeg

Food delivery rig with a massive battery

6A99D59E-7971-4AE9-9E55-9C103FE8D355.jpeg

Torrens river linear park trail is a comfortable, flat, 45 minute ride from the CBD to the coast.

779FDD0E-3F8A-4868-8C5A-038DDEB150B4.jpeg

Nice paths along the coast

FAB56594-2C05-4EEE-911F-40F3115F3CEA.jpeg

The rental scooters come with a helmet.

292CDFC1-C70F-4619-BD1A-270396EA84E3.jpeg

Adelaide has a good bicycle co-op.

C88108EF-9CC5-4A30-9E32-367FE2B90D45.jpeg

Bike SA has a good route planner that lets you choose route planning based on off road bicycle paths, and download .gpx files for offline map apps http://www.dpti.sa.gov.au/cycle_instead/

I’m renting a Fortis folding ebike during my trip, from cit-e-bike rentals.

F90B87BE-C0DB-4C3D-8B2A-7784B382019B.jpeg

Last edited:
We would be separated by almost 95 degrees latitude when I was visiting Helsinki Finland this week :)

Just around the corner is the mawson trail, you can read a recent ride report here

How long are you on our side of the world?
Thank you. I‘ll be in Australia until next Friday. I enjoyed reading the ride report. The map on post #6268 looked familiar as I drove through Birdwood on the way East to the Murray River earlier this week. Great stargazing there on the other side of the Adelaide hills.

@Dewey : Off topic, I know, but may I ask about your connection to the ebike industry? Manufacturer? Importer? Distributor? Dealer? Analyst? Journalist? Other?

The breadth of your knowledge about ebike makes, models, and technology worldwide is truly astounding. So for all I know, you could be all those things!

Hi Jeremy, very kind of you to think so but to use a popular Australian colloquialism
“Yeah, nah” (no)

I’m just an e-bike rider, a typical middle-aged ‘Fred’ among cyclists, grateful to Court Rye and the EBR team for making this archive of e-bike reviews available, and for moderating this forum to enable reasoned discussion and keep a lid on the bullying prevalent on other forums. I like reading about all types of e-bikes but would class myself as a commuter/utility/cargo-ish rider, I love reading posts about how both DIY and pre-built e-bikes enable family cycling, disability cycling, and inclusion, I started riding bikes at age 11 delivering newspapers, and today ride a 9-mile round-trip to-and-from work 3 times a week. I like reading and answering questions from newbies, cargo-bike folk, family cycling, and civil fair minded contributors. Never raced, and dislike reading anti-ebike hate, competition, sports, tribalism, ‘the rules’ style of cycling elitism banter, un-civil opinions and lies, or pile-on’s so I liberally use the Ignore forum feature to mute trolls and bully’s or threads I don’t care to read.

I started watching Court’s videos in 2016 when I got back in the saddle after decades of not riding a bike. Mostly I just re-post e-bike news and legislative history to track things that catch my eye, and occasionally like to pitch in to help answer a question, or offer an opinion to try to keep things fair and balanced.

Thank you Jeremy for offering the EBR community the benefit of your experience.

Last edited:
Thank you. I‘ll be in Australia until next Friday. I enjoyed reading the ride report. The map on post #6268 looked familiar as I drove through Birdwood on the way East to the Murray River earlier this week. Great stargazing there on the other side of the Adelaide hills.

So how far east are you coming?

We used to have fantastic stargazing from home, but about 5 years ago started getting a bit of light pollution to the south - semi rural houses being built on 5-10 acre blocks between us and town. I can still get reasonable viewing with our telescope , but can't really manage those long exposure images of the milky way from home now. Nothing like the clarity you get from those dry nights in the dessert, but still nice big skies.

To the Murray River dark sky reserve, my trip timing coincided with a waxing moon which was great for looking at the planets through binoculars, but not fainter objects. The ASSA ‘sky this month’ video on their YouTube channel was helpful. Loved seeing a meteor!

Last edited:
Stuart from Cit-e-bike, he is an ebike enthusiast. Good experience renting a folding ebike for a week. Stuart mentioned they are moving location at the end of this year.
D687AADC-E511-45A9-84E6-503F71753912.jpeg

D97D626B-9FDE-49B7-AF6B-1BCA418585E0.jpeg

Flying back to DC today. Goodbye Adelaide, & thank you!

Back