Dealing with Back Pain....

newbert

I suffer from a condition called Spodylolisthesis - one of the vertebrae in my low back has slipped forward and no longer lines up properly with the one below it. I recent rode over a bump in the road while riding my CanAm Spyder which has aggravated the condition so I haven't been riding my almost brand new Rad Mini ST2 for many weeks now.

After recovering, I want to get back at it, so I'm wondering how back pain sufferers deal with riding their Rad? What adjustments to you make (to yourself or to the bike) to allow you to ride with less pain? Specifically - is there such a thing as a seat with a backrest of some kind? If so, could someone provide a link?

Thanks!
Bert

One thing that might help with back pain is a suspension seat post. Rad has one on their site (SR Suntour SP12) that's good. I have the Thudbuster ST (short travel) they also have the LT (long travel) for more cushion. This has lessened my back pain after riding long trips daily.

Already have the Thudbuster LT. Just wondering whether there's anything in addition that might help. Maybe a handle bar adjustment that would allow me to ride more upright rather than hunched over/slouched?

Thanks!

I don’t know a thing about Spodylolisthesis but I’ve had lots of neck/back problems from years of playing football, rugby, tennis, riding bikes, motorcycles, etc. I’ve always had good luck with chiropractors who’ve realigned my poor old neck/back/body. I had a really bad neck injury from being pile-driven into a mat during a wrestling match and chiropractors have helped keep that pain manageable since the early 70s. Wish they could fix my poor shoulder!
Best of luck!

Have you every considered an e-powered recumbent? From the videos I've watched they look to be perfect for someone with back problems.
Super comfortable, when compared to a regular bike.

Have you every considered an e-powered recumbent? From the videos I've watched they look to be perfect for someone with back problems.
Super comfortable, when compared to a regular bike.
FWIW I actually bought a recumbent when I was having major back issues years ago. It actually made it worse! I barely ever rode it and sold it a couple of years later with less than 100 miles on it.

Newbert, sorry you are having some back issues. Although I don’t have your specific condition, that small of my back is sensitive to any kind of over exertion like yard work or lots of lifting. I have found the wrap around back braces found in stores have helped. Usually I wear them doing lots of lifting. I don’t cycle with them but my handbars have been moved up to relieve any possible back stress.
Just an idea to think about.

For lower back problems, I second a back belt.
The best I found for me are the contractor ones you find in pro hardware stores. They are really strong and will prevent a lot of bad motion in the lower back.
I use to have repeated Herniated disks, to the point where now every time I do an activity with risks of load or back bend, I use the belt, and I have been herniated disk free for 3 years now.

For lower back problems, I second a back belt.
The best I found for me are the contractor ones you find in pro hardware stores. They are really strong and will prevent a lot of bad motion in the lower back.
I use to have repeated Herniated disks, to the point where now every time I do an activity with risks of load or back bend, I use the belt, and I have been herniated disk free for 3 years now.

Hmmmm. Good thought. What do you mean by a "Pro" hardware store? (Examples?) And do you wear the back belt while riding?

Thanks!

Something like this

I wear it systematically if my activity has the smallest risk, from home improvement to sailing or kayaking or even gardening.
It protects me not just from loads but bad positions I may not pay attention to otherwise.

Newbert, sorry you are having some back issues. Although I don’t have your specific condition, that small of my back is sensitive to any kind of over exertion like yard work or lots of lifting. I have found the wrap around back braces found in stores have helped. Usually I wear them doing lots of lifting. I don’t cycle with them but my handbars have been moved up to relieve any possible back stress.
Just an idea to think about.

How high do you have your handlebars set at (relative to your seat)? I'm a bit leery about going too high, afraid that it might throw my balance off.

Thanks!

How high do you have your handlebars set at (relative to your seat)? I'm a bit leery about going too high, afraid that it might throw my balance off.

Thanks!
I got a pair of bar ends to raise my riding position and you can adjust them to your preference. I use that position over half the time during my rides.
6D9B2E08-B46F-4112-B52A-99CF0FE106CA.jpeg

My lower back issues are comparatively minor, but have been working on strengthening my core through various stretches/exercises. This is a little odd, but I've also been using my standing desk more instead of sitting and it's helped to reduce my back issues after long bike rides. I have sort of a roller thing on the floor in front of my standing desk which apparently helps with core strength.

Maybe a handle bar adjustment that would allow me to ride more upright rather than hunched over/slouched?

I have a different model radpower bike, so these may not be useful suggestions. The rad mini st 2 claims three inches of handlebar rise, maybe try moving it to near the max? I see that model doesn't claim the ability to rotate the HBs in their socket for more custom fit (eg. rotate them towards you), maybe see if there's an aftermarket solution for that? Finally, I can't tell from the bike spec page, but can the seat be slid forward on the seatpost so it sits a bit closer to the HBs?

I have a different model radpower bike, so these may not be useful suggestions. The rad mini st 2 claims three inches of handlebar rise, maybe try moving it to near the max? I see that model doesn't claim the ability to rotate the HBs in their socket for more custom fit (eg. rotate them towards you), maybe see if there's an aftermarket solution for that? Finally, I can't tell from the bike spec page, but can the seat be slid forward on the seatpost so it sits a bit closer to the HBs?
I found that a pair of Jones H bars 2.5 rise, helps me a lot fits on the mini without having to replace any cables

I suffer from a condition called Spodylolisthesis - one of the vertebrae in my low back has slipped forward and no longer lines up properly with the one below it.
I recent rode over a bump in the road while riding my CanAm Spyder which has aggravated the condition so I haven't been riding my almost brand new Rad Mini ST2 for many weeks now.

After recovering, I want to get back at it, so I'm wondering how back pain sufferers deal with riding their Rad?
What adjustments to you make (to yourself or to the bike) to allow you to ride with less pain?
Specifically - is there such a thing as a seat with a backrest of some kind? If so, could someone provide a link?

Thanks!
Bert

Lots of good suggestions so far on back supports and bar height.

I also recommend an inversion table for effective at-home therapy... long may you ride! ;)

Last edited:
I got a pair of bar ends to raise my riding position and you can adjust them to your preference. I use that position over half the time during my rides.
View attachment 58615

I am not a fan of the bar-ends because your hands are not near the brakes in an emergency situation... ask me how I know, ;)

Better to use a Stem Riser to elevate the handlebars with all of brake and shifter levers positioned correctly... the only issue can be cable slack.

I am not a fan of the bar-ends because your hands are not near the brakes in an emergency situation... ask me how I know, ;)

Better to use a Stem Riser to elevate the handlebars with all of brake and shifter levers positioned correctly... the only issue can be cable slack.

I understand but I like really having the option to reposition. My use of the bar ends is primarily on trails with very little traffic and I move to the handlebar for any critical handling/braking situations. My Allant has a good basic position but, unfortunately, it’s stem height cannot be adjusted, only replaced.

Back