Dealers

buy an e bike?

• start my own dealership

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • go back to a regular bike

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters

Mark

I was thinking of getting the 2015 Path at a local dealer and called them today,
they said they were getting out of the E bike business not because of the bikes, they are getting better
every year, but because it is hard to find a bike mechanic who can work on the electrical, wiring etc.
So who would buy an E bike if there is not a dealer within a 200 mile radius?

So
because it is hard to find a bike mechanic who can work on the electrical, wiring etc.
So who would buy an E bike if there is not a dealer within a 200 mile radius?

what town?

Here in the Denver area there are two dedicated e-bike shops, who use part-time mechanics mostly, I think, because they don't have enough business to keep a full-time mechanic occupied. Of course it's more difficult to find a qualified mechanic who will work part time...

However ... REI has several outlets and they sell and maintain e-bikes. Also there are two different regular bicycle chains that are now carrying some form of e- bike here in town. Probably 8-10 choices for sales and service. You don't have to go with a dedicated ebike dealer...

Edit: this is not to mention that Trek, Specialized, and Diamondback also have ebikes sold at regular bike shops that carry their brands.

Also, see this thread: http://electricbikereview.com/community/threads/diamondback-ebikes-why.1183/ - especially the post of @Mike Smith

Last edited:
So

what town?

Here in the Denver area there are two dedicated e-bike shops, who use part-time mechanics mostly, I think, because they don't have enough business to keep a full-time mechanic occupied. Of course it's more difficult to find a qualified mechanic who will work part time...

However ... REI has several outlets and they sell and maintain e-bikes. Also there are two different regular bicycle chains that are now carrying some form of e- bike here in town. Probably 8-10 choices for sales and service. You don't have to go with a dedicated ebike dealer...

Edit: this is not to mention that Trek, Specialized, and Diamondback also have ebikes sold at regular bike shops that carry their brands.

Also, see this thread: http://electricbikereview.com/community/threads/diamondback-ebikes-why.1183/ - especially the post of @Mike Smith
I live in Eugene OR, much smaller than Denver. We do have an REI who happens to have some of the
best bike mechanics in town. I have had my Path in there for some work. I do not know if they work on the
wiring etc. They carry only a few Izip bikes. There is 1 shop that installs Bion X. Also after
reading a few posts I see that (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)is also carrying
some E bikes, so at least there are options...
Mark

Last edited:
woah, can't believe that a super bike friendly town like eugene doesn't have good mechanics willing to work on ebikes...

It's true. It takes a particularly open-minded change-friendly bike mechanic to enjoy the issues of an e-bike. We like our techs to be interested and ride motorcycles to be honest. Motorcycles are, in fact, bicycles with motors on them too. Our best ebike techs ride motorcycles for fun, as well as enjoy bikes and ebikes too. The hard thing is to find a great bike tech who also wants to spend time inventing being an ebike tech. We have found it in a few good guys and we're always interested in hearing from others.

Joe

Back