Cube vs Haibike

cratterbury

Region
United Kingdom
Hi guys.

Total newbie when it comes to e-bikes, coming from a full suspension and gravel bike, I’m looking to get an emtb as I’m slowly getting tired of the other bikes, finding hills a chore as I’ve got a bad knee and health has gone downhill over the pandemic. I love cycling though as walking is more of a strain on my knee.

I’ve narrowed the bikes down to two, the Haibike Hardnine 7 2022 and the Cube Reaction Hybrid Pro 625 2022.

I was all for the Haibike until the Cube came into stock and the air fork and Bosch motor kind of attracted me towards its, plus a nicer colour I think.
However I like the Yamaha display and I believe the brakes and derailleur of the Haibike is better.

So I’m basically stuck on which to choose. Will the extra 15Nm torque on the Bosch make much difference, same for the extra battery of the Haibike.
Will the 100mm air fork be better than a 120mm coil fork?

I’ll mainly be on road as I don’t drive but will be going off road. Forestry, blue and possibly red routes on trails. I live in rural wales so plenty coastal paths and lots of hills.

Any help appreciated

Thanks

Umm... Both e-bikes involve some compromise.

The Haibike looks more a Cross Country e-bike because of its geometry. It also has proper MTB gearing, making it easier for climbing steep hills. The fork is the most disappointing part of that e-bike: steel coil spring suspension forks are pretending to be doing anything.

The Cube is a more trekking e-bike. Better fork, acceptable drive-train, and a stronger motor look promising. However, I noticed trekking e-bikes had difficulties not on the climbing alone but with handling in rough terrain. Also, Cube selected the least expensive options for their e-bike: very limited Purion display and the cheapest (slow) charger. You would feel compelled to spend big quids to replace them with Nyon display and a faster charger soon.

None of these e-bikes feels an ideal to me. Any chance for a real demo ride for either of these e-bikes?

Thank you for your reply- unfortunately there’s not as the company is a few hundred miles away and so have to get it online.
Also there is a maximum spend of £3k and both these bikes are at that, not any less so couldn’t go for anything better spec really unfortunately.

@cratterbury, I have the same preference for biking over walking. I have a bad lower back and hip, painful when walking, but I don't feel any pain when biking.

My feelings about torque ratings is that they must be taken with a grain of salt. There do not appear to be any industry standards on how torque is measured, so it's impossible to compare torque ratings between brands. My six-year old Haibike eMTB with Yamaha motor is much stronger than my girlfriend's two-year-old Bosch motor in her Tern HSD. Bosch's newer 85Nm Cargo Line motor in my Yuba Spicy Curry AT seems to have caught up with my old 70Nm Yamaha PW motor in terms of power, but the old Yamaha is still quicker off the line than the new Bosch.

I do not have any experience with Cube. My Haibike AllMtn full-suspension bike is still going strong after 15,000 miles. I had the motor rebuilt not too long ago as preventive maintenance. All the seals and bearings were still good. I had to replace the dropper seatpost after 4 years. Maintenance replacement of chain, brake pads, and tires. No problems whatsoever with the motor or the electrical system.

Good luck and good rides!

For eMTB that is going to ridden offroad I'd go for FS 140-160mm. Had both, the HT can't put power down on rough climbs at speed as rear wheels bounces all over place. On rough flat ground FS wins hands down even if you aren't doing technical trails. Cube's 140 is better suited for exploration that extreme downhill which is where 160 shines. Buy mid-high spec versions, you will regret lower spec cheaper suspension.

625Wh will give half day of full on riding or full day if you take it easy on climbs.

For eMTB that is going to ridden offroad I'd go for FS 140-160mm. Had both, the HT can't put power down on rough climbs at speed as rear wheels bounces all over place. On rough flat ground FS wins hands down even if you aren't doing technical trails. Cube's 140 is better suited for exploration that extreme downhill which is where 160 shines. Buy mid-high spec versions, you will regret lower spec cheaper suspension.

625Wh will give half day of full on riding or full day if you take it easy on climbs.
Unfortunately I can’t get a FS for the £3k limit I have so I’m trying to get the best I can for the price. I’d definitely go for FS if that wasn’t an option.

If doing lot of road riding consider extra set of wheels setup with road tires, can be low spec wheels as they are for smooth surfaces.

While Cube has air fork, brand of fork is little unknown. Bosch drive can be serviced by any bosch dealer unlike Haibike. While Yamaha motor it is Haibike proprietary system so really only serviceable by Haibike dealer, not that either should need aftermarket support. Outside that all other components are run of the mill any bike shop can fix. Only need to go back to manufacturer for broken frames.

Mt400 brakes are 2 finger versions of MT200(3 finger) both very reliable entry level brakes. Both use same rotors and calipers. I've had both and upgraded to Deore and SLX for better performance.

The 12spd on Haibike doesn't offer any advantage over 11spd on Cube. 12 is dear to maintain but has slightly higher top gear ie 45kmh vs 50kmh which only be used occasionally going downhill.

85nm motor Bosch is worth extra gear on climbs so slightly quicker than Yamaha. Both will make short work of any hills no matter how steep, especially with 51t granny gear. You will be struggling to keep front wheel on ground and for traction before running out of power.

I'd pick it on how comfortable bike is.

A Yugo LOOKS like a car...;)
Haibike is one of the biggest German bicycle manufacturers, pioneers in e-bikes, and are known for their preference of making budget e-MTBs. Cube is another German company. By looking at Haibike specs, these are proper MTB including geometry. Cube -- as the model name suggest is a "hybrid" or "trekking" e-bike -- and these are not the best in somewhat more difficult technical terrain. A hybrid/trekking bike can be ridden on fire-roads but I would hesitate to take it for a little more advanced technical trail (ask me how I know).

Cube includes the older Bosch system, which should have been replaced by the Smart System already. Bosch E-Bike is known for shifting its responsibility on OEMs such as Cube. Cube selected the cheapest (and laughable) display for the Hybrid, and the cheapest charger, too. While the Yamaha system is also used by Giant, and these motors are reliable. I had a Yamaha motor in my Giant Trance E+ 2 Pro, and that motor really shone on mountain trails.

I agree with Trevor the X-Fusion air forks are little known, while the coil fork of Haibike is made by Rock Shox, the name.

In case Tom you do not know this: Wales is a montane country, full of wild nature, a paradise for British mountain bikers.

Negative on both.
FS is the way to go. Did you know Cuba/Stereo
Cube Stereo is better in my opinion.
I Google it Cube/ Made in Cuba.
As I stated many times though, my budget doesn’t cover a full suspension otherwise it would be a no brainer. These are the very top of the budget and the best I can get unfortunately but thanks for your input

I would drop 5K$ US out of pocket.
If your work gives you allowance for a bike.
You can’t add any funds towards it unfortunately, it’s a government scheme where work buys the bike, and you take a salary sacrifice to pay for it monthly, minus the tax and vat. So essentially I’m only paying roughly half or two thirds of the bikes value.
It’s a good incentive here in the UK where I know thousands are using it.

Plus I don’t have £5k haha. If I had the money I’d get a full suspension Canyon or Specialized or something :)

You can’t add any funds towards it unfortunately, it’s a government scheme where work buys the bike, and you take a salary sacrifice to pay for it monthly, minus the tax and vat. So essentially I’m only paying roughly half or two thirds of the bikes value.
It’s a good incentive here in the UK where I know thousands are using it.

Plus I don’t have £5k haha. If I had the money I’d get a full suspension Canyon or Specialized or something :)
Having just bought a bike via cyclescheme only last week I can state that you can add funds if you want. Officially you shouldn't, but bikes shops will take the extra as a "deposit" and then take the value of your voucher on top of that.
No idea if that helps, maybe a model just outside your range?
I don't know if this works on line, but you could ask..

Having just bought a bike via cyclescheme only last week I can state that you can add funds if you want. Officially you shouldn't, but bikes shops will take the extra as a "deposit" and then take the value of your voucher on top of that.
No idea if that helps, maybe a model just outside your range?
I don't know if this works on line, but you could ask..
I can certainly ask, thanks for that! There’s some good bikes at the £4K mark. Although doesn’t seem to be anywhere online to change this. If I add a dearer bike to basket it says it’s gone over my company’s budget.

I think for my usage, one of these should be sufficient. Somone on YouTube went up a local mountain on a similar hardtail to the Haibike (better forks and Bosch not Yamaha)

Thanks for everyone’s help :)

Back