Crosscurrent X Log

Justin Fischer

Inspired by the Ripcurrent S log, here's a new long thread for a new CCX.

1/10/20
Completed purchase of a large red CCX, motorcycle horn, and suspension seat post.

1/14/20
Bike shipped from Chula Vista.

1/18/20
Bike received.

Shipping ergonomics are much improved compared to my first generation CCS.

Rear rack, fender, and light are installed. (They forgot the rear fender of my CCS and I had to get it shipped later.) I only had to install the pedals, adjust the brake pads on both sides, pop the front wheel on, and attach the front fender. At this point the only improvement I could see it making the front fender and light assembly easier to deal with. It was a pain to adjust by myself.

Fit and finish of the bike is perfect, unlike the chips in the paint I had on my CCS. Looks like the new removable shipping plastic is doing it's job.

Battery was charged to 50%, and I appreciate that.

Overall a much better first day experience than the one I had a few years ago. Can't wait for the first ride in a few days.

1/21/20
First commute with the bike, with some issues, both self-inflicted and not. Firstly, my panniers haven't arrived yet so I used a tie-down strap to attach my backpack to the top of the rack...it fell off after about a mile and I was stuck wearing it the rest of the ride.
Second, there's a grinding noise coming from the bottom bracket, which I'm going to take it into my LBS about. It's not crazy or anything, but I don't want to per-maturely wear components down.
Third, there is only one section on my route to work where I put the bike in the highest assist setting, a stretch of 30mph road where I need to be in the left lane. So there I am, going 30, and all of a sudden the bike shuts off. Battery still powered, no response from the display. I stand up and sprint like a maniac to keep my speed up until I can get to a safe spot, and thoroughly check the connections. Just one is a little loose, fixed it up in a few seconds and had no issues after that.
Overall good experience from the bike, less so from my ill-fated attempt to work around panniers.

1/22/20
Per the recommendation of the pannier thread, I bought the Rockbros velcro pannier bag, and so far it's a dream. It didn't fall off and cause me to run into the street even once. Besides being wet and cold it was a better commute than yesterday's. I've noticed having my GoPro Max on a pole off my rear rack, just as far out as my handlebars, seems to have discouraged dumb passes by motorists. Maybe it's the pole, maybe it's the red blinking light and giant fisheye lens protectors. I did get some good footage though. If anyone has questions on mounting, charging, or workflow with the video hit me up.

Last edited:
Would love to know about your GoPro Max setup. Got any pictures?

How has your CCX been after another month of commuting?

Would love to know about your GoPro Max setup. Got any pictures?

How has your CCX been after another month of commuting?

As soon as I posted that second commute I got a bad case of the flu, I finally feel up to riding again starting tomorrow.

Attached are pictures of my rig. It pokes out a little further than my handlebars, which is still closer than I'd want anyone to get to me. A good thing though too. I think it helps drivers see bicycle as a little wider than it is.

It's this aluminum mount: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XIB6SK4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Designed for car headrests for an in-car video view during races/drifting, but a lot of people use them for other things, and I have no complaints. It's rock solid.

This is a short youtube upload of a commute video:

It's sped up, ran through Premiere Pro and GoPro's reframe plugin, then Virb Edit for the gauges (despite what GoPro says, the Max does record GPS in 360 mode), then back through Premiere Pro for color correction. It's compressed from all that and youtube, but if I needed to reconstruct something I have the raw .360 5.6k video and it's easy to get plates.

Attachments

• 20200223_144113.jpg
    20200223_144113.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 487
  • 20200223_144120.jpg
    20200223_144120.jpg
    406.7 KB · Views: 487
  • 20200223_144130.jpg
    20200223_144130.jpg
    286.9 KB · Views: 500
  • 20200223_144148.jpg
    20200223_144148.jpg
    317 KB · Views: 491
Nice setup.

I just ordered a CCX. A little apprehensive about all the issues, but the other ebike I was considering is a Stromer at 2x the cost, so I figured I could spend 1k on tools that will last a while and still come out ahead.

Just hope it doesn't randomly crap out on me in the middle of 20 mile commute.

Edit -- might start my own log as well to detail what issues if any I encounter.

Nice setup.

I just ordered a CCX. A little apprehensive about all the issues, but the other ebike I was considering is a Stromer at 2x the cost, so I figured I could spend 1k on tools that will last a while and still come out ahead.

Just hope it doesn't randomly crap out on me in the middle of 20 mile commute.

Edit -- might start my own log as well to detail what issues if any I encounter.
I'm envious of your CCX. I've got a 2 year old CCS, with something over 3,000 miles on it. Would be more, except for a knee injury last year.

There is some possibility of a "random crap-out", of course, but if my CCS is any indication, you'll have smooth sailing. Hope so, anyway.

Back