CrossCurrent S2 Quick Review

JonfromOakland

Just received my first EBike today and wanted to give a quick review. I've been a road cyclist for 15 years (half my life), but have never owned an ebike. I once worked as a bicycle mechanic with certification from Specialized. The only other ebikes I've ridden have been (very) limited to the first generation Specialized Turbo and the bike share ebikes.

Why the Juiced CCS2:
  • Under $2,000 and 28mph assist. I've been waiting a while for these two things, that speed for that pricepoint, in addiiton to a company that has done earlier generations.
  • Decent battery, I know the CCX has a bigger battery for not too much more money, but range isn't something I was looking for.
  • I know I'm buying a ebike online that could have problems, but wasn't too worried as I can work on the mechanicals and it wasn't too expensive compared to big brand names
  • I don't plan on keeping it longer than a couple years. I imagine there will be more options in a few years. If I were to buy a name brand (Trek, Spesh, Stromer, Riese and Muller), it would cost more but I would plan to keep it for longer than a few years

Receiving the bike:
  • The bike was packed pretty well:
    • Brake calipers should have had blocks to prevent the pads from freezing up. All bikes I worked with always had the brake blocks when shipping, or even when working on the bike with the wheels off
    • This is being critical but, I would put a little more padding around the fork
  • Bike was ordered on a Wednesday and was delivered on a Saturday. Delivered in the same state as Juiced Bikes
  • I had no damage to the cardboard box (though usually this is on the delivery company)
  • Handlebars were a little off center and required centering
  • Bolts were pretty dry and lacking any lube/grease
  • Front wheel was out of true, which is a little surprising. Wheels can go out of true from the Mfr, but this was more than what I've seen from other companies
  • Seat Tube has a shim for the seat post, not sure why. Although gave me the idea to possibly use a thicker shim for a thinner seat post dia. to get a more plush ride
  • Seat Post is quick release, would rather see bolt for slightly more security, same for the front wheel
  • Figuring out the tire pressure still, but looking at 52R/50F for a 165lb ride
  • Having mounting bolts under the top tube is a nice touch to hold a lock or other

12 mile ride (again, I've been a road cyclist for 15 years, so although I no longer race, I'm still somewhat fit)
  • Following ride modes and opinions were done on a flat, not too windy urban road:
    • Riding with no assist at all, there is resistance and pretty difficult. I probably won't be using this at all.
    • Riding at eco feels like riding a normal bike, weight of the bike doesn't feel bad. (I'm pretty fit though)
    • Riding at 1 and 2 gives me a pretty good boost. I can get up to 20mph or so on pedal assist.
    • Riding at 3 is pretty quick. I can easily get up to 28mph and hold about 26/27
    • Riding at S is not too much quicker than 3. However I can keep 28mph pretty easily
  • Following is from a few hills I tried out from 10% blocks to 5% drags. This is pretty opinionated but my 2 cents:
    • Eco feels like a heavy bike, but gives a good workout
    • 1 and 2 gives me a decent boost, good enough to get up the hill without much effort. 12-15mph up roughly 10% grade
    • 3 feels pretty quick, but does slow down the bike to 16/18
    • S also feels pretty quick and can get up to 20+mph
    • I didn't get too much time up but will test it out more
  • At one point the chain came off the front chainring. I didn't have a inside chain guard though.
  • I can't compare to other ebikes but the sensors (cadence and torque) feel pretty good. It takes a very slight moment to kick in, but I think that's typical.
  • When I stop pedaling it almost feels like it's still going. Not sure if it's the weight and momentum but it is a good thing in my opinion
  • Going downhill is a disappointment. On one stretch where I would go about 40-45mph, I was struggling to hit 35-38mph.
  • I didn't measure the battery too closely as I won't be traveling long distances. But I maybe started with about 85-90% charge and ended with probably around 35-40% charge. If I estimated 12 miles for half the battery, that somewhat aligns with their claimed 31 miles at mode 3. I didn't ride too hard as I was still breaking in the pads/rotors, but I did keep pace with cars when I could safely do so.
  • Headlight is decent. It's pretty bright at 1k lumens, but the beam pattern isn't great

Overall I'm pretty impressed with the bike. For the price point, I can't complain about too much at the moment, with it being a first ride quick review. Only real complaint thus far is not having the brake blocks and the front wheel not being true.

I plan on upgrading/changing a few things though:
  • Longer and lower stem, as I like a more aggressive position
  • Lower rise handlebar
  • Foam grips
  • 2,000 lumen front light - On the ride I was cut off 3 or 5 times (riding full lane), so may try a brighter light.
  • Different saddle
  • Rear derailleur with a clutch for better chain control
  • Lighter seatpost possibly

I'm probably forgetting something else, but will try and stick around to answer questions.

Thanks for the detailed report/review.

I own a CCX (as well as a Bulls Evo 3 27.5+(class 1 20mph) and iZip Moda E3(class 3 28mph)). The CCX is definately the fastest bike although not always the most enjoyable to ride (unless i just want to go fast).

Its perfect for its design goal (high speed/low cost commuter)

Last edited:
Thanks for a fine review. It seems multiple accounts verify juiced bikes' range claims.

How do you like the 700c hoops on a city bike? They wouldn't be my first choice honestly. I prefer 27.5+ sized tires as a very nice compromise.

Thanks for a fine review. It seems multiple accounts verify juiced bikes' range claims.

How do you like the 700c hoops on a city bike? They wouldn't be my first choice honestly. I prefer 27.5+ sized tires as a very nice compromise.

I like the 700c wheels, and was actually looking for that size wheel. Since I'm coming from a road background, I'm used to maneuvering 700c wheels in tight traffic. I like to believe the larger circumference gives less rolling resistance, and I'm looking for speed over anything. I haven't ridden 27.5 wheels very much so can't compare.. I'm sure a 27.5 with a fatter tire to make it closer to 700c could be a good way to go (for comfort?). But I'm happy with the 700c. I adjusted my tire pressure to be 50F/52R psi and comfort improved.

Quick update:
  • Does anyone know the seat post clamp size? I tried a 36.4mm and it was too small... It looks like it could be 38.3mm? In which case the only one I can find is from HOPE and cost about 20-30 US$
  • I got a folding lock from Abus, and the mount doesn't fit either of the two water bottle positions. It can fit under the top tube, but it prevents the battery from coming out. I am returning it for a chain lock that I'll combine with a U-lock
I'm still pretty displeased with the security of the bike. With the funky seat post clamp size, I wish they could provide a bolt clamp. Likewise the bike is so big, it's difficult to get a lock around the front wheel, which is quick release. Of course these are pretty minor but since there's nothing else to complain about yet, I mentioned it.

Back