CrossCurrent S gets 650W motor and RipCurrent S gets 750W??? Why? What's the difference?

Timpo

Why does CCS gets 650W and RCS gets 750W?

I just don't understand.

Just by looking at the pictures and specs, they're virtually identical except the tires.
Same price, but the CCS gets 650W instead of 750W...why?

Do they have different motor or just different voltage?
I noticed that RCS has 52V and CCS has 48V..

Does CCS have inferior motor for the same price or did Juiced just show different wattage because of battery?

I just don't understand.

Just by looking at the pictures and specs, they're virtually identical except the tires.

Does CCS have inferior motor for the same price or did Juiced just show different wattage because of battery?

Just a guess, but it could be something like component availability. Juiced might be limited to their motor choice based on lead times or their purchase quantities.

Another theory might be due to the fat tires. An extra 100w would be helpful to overcome the increased rolling resistance and weight.

Welcome to the bassackward world of juiced

How is this helpful to the OP? Instead of derailing every topic on this sub-forum, I’m legitimately interested in your ongoing customer service issue with JB. Wouldn’t it be better to start a specific topic about your bike? Also, I recall you mentioning that you bypassed getting a new controller from JB and integrating a GrinTech unit? I’d like to see what you’ve done with that.

How is this helpful to the OP? Instead of derailing every topic on this sub-forum, I’m legitimately interested in your ongoing customer service issue with JB. Wouldn’t it be better to start a specific topic about your bike? Also, I recall you mentioning that you bypassed getting a new controller from JB and integrating a GrinTech unit? I’d like to see what you’ve done with that.
I have built a bike since I bought the ocean current. I lost all hope in juiced covering my problem and I can't help sharing my thoughts of them but I'm trying to stay out of it. Sorry if I offend anyone but if you were in my position you wouldn't be happy about it. I just hate expecting one thing and getting something completely different. Again, sorry and I'll try and contain myself. I will never buy another bike online and that's pretty unfair to the other companies out there that are honest.

I have built a bike since I bought the ocean current. I lost all hope in juiced covering my problem and I can't help sharing my thoughts of them but I'm trying to stay out of it. Sorry if I offend anyone but if you were in my position you wouldn't be happy about it. I just hate expecting one thing and getting something completely different. Again, sorry and I'll try and contain myself. I will never buy another bike online and that's pretty unfair to the other companies out there that are honest.

No offense taken, but I just think it makes for more productive discussion if things are kept in track. I also own a JB and they have a lot to improve. Customer service being at the top of the list. They sent the wrong frame size and forgot my rear rack. Anyways, a story for another topic.

I suspect the ratings are bumped, is all. The difference being in the controller. That's just my guess.

I just don't understand.

The fat tire has higher rolling resistance plus it is also heavier so it needs more power to move this ebike at the same rate as the CCS. You also have the option to run low pressure on the sand or snow for better flotation and that would even require enormous power. This doesn't necessarily mean that the RCS is faster than the CCS, it just indicates that it requires more power for it's intended purpose. The downside is shorter battery range. Hope that helps.

Nominal motor ratings don’t tell you much. The controller is what determines how much amperage the motor sees. The standard Cross Current S peaks at 20 amps continuous which is ~1000 watts. The Rip Current S has exactly the same peak power with a 48V battery installed. It would have 80W more peak power with the optional 52V battery installed (+$1300 over the base price.) Keep in mind that a $7k Stromer ST2 peaks at the same power as the $2000 Cross Current S (with the 17.4Ah battery option.) So 1000w isn’t exactly peanuts.

Last edited:
Nominal motor ratings don’t tell you much. The controller is what determines how much amperage the motor sees. The standard Cross Current S peaks at 20 amps continuous which is ~1000 watts. The Rip Current S has exactly the same peak power with a 48V battery installed. It would have 80W more peak power with the optional 52V battery installed.
Bafang makes a 750watt fat bike motor, that's probably what it is but your right same controller, 48v or 52v,I think that's the only difference .

Yes, I know you don't NEED 750W to move the CCS, but I just don't see why not..

Is it because of controller as somebody mentioned?

You’re making the mistake of thinking a bigger number is better. It isn’t. What matters is how much power the controller sends to the motor. According to Juiced Bikes specs the peak controller power is the same on both bikes (20 amps.)

There’s nothing to stop you from buying the RCS and installing narrower slick tires on it. Something like a 26x2.2 to 26x2.5.

oh I wasn't suggesting the RCS is faster than the CCS just because of 100W extra power, I know that fat tire has bigger resistance.

But what I don't understand is that, for the same price, why does CCS has inferior motor?
The 750W motor is more expensive than the 650W motor (presumably), and fat tire is more expensive than the Kenda tire on CCS. (presumably)

So for the same price, CCS has cheaper tire, cheaper motor,.. yet still the same price. It just didn't make sense why they lowered the power down to 650W, or why don't just both of them have 750W.

Yes, I know you don't NEED 750W to move the CCS, but I just don't see why not..

Is it because of controller as somebody mentioned?
I can see your line of reasoning and I agree with it. For me, the 52 volt battery alone would be a very nice addition to the CCS.

I would think that even though the geometry seems almost identical I would assume the rear axle is wider to accommodate the fat tires. Maybe the motor is just tweaked in software to 750. I was wondering if there is a different controller or if its a software tweak for the 52v battery. As far as a manufacturing of scale and economy I would assume Juiced would try and use the same controller as in the CCS. We'll see once the 52v batteries come in stock if they are compatible with the CCS with a firmware upgrade? Wishful thinking. But from a business stand point being able to have CCS rider upgrade a battery down the line would make sense for the company.

Not that much different. Motor wattage does not mean that much. It's the battery voltage and controller amp rating that is the most telling. The 48v 750w Rip vs the CC 650w is not going to be that much different in terms of power unless the Rip uses a higher amp controller. With the 52v battery you will notice some but then again with the larger tires that may be mute. The Rip is bassically the CCF - Cross Current Fat

You’re making the mistake of thinking a bigger number is better. It isn’t. What matters is how much power the controller sends to the motor. According to Juiced Bikes specs the peak controller power is the same on both bikes (20 amps.)

There’s nothing to stop you from buying the RCS and installing narrower slick tires on it. Something like a 26x2.2 to 26x2.5.

Can 2.2" tires stretch to 80mm rims?

Can 2.2" tires stretch to 80mm rims?

Are the rims 80mm wide? You probably can’t go much narrower than the rim width. Maybe 2.8” slick tire would work.

The rear dropout, and thus motor flange spacing, on the RCS is probably wider which means they can’t use the same motor as the CCS.

Um...two different motors.... and likely controllers. Bafang will do custom motors/controller combinations. 750W fat is a standard 750w, the 650W is likely an over wasted 500. Many GD motors can operate at higher voltages/amps.

Based on the support from Bafang and parts availability I'd run from their motors and look for a builder using MAC!

Back