Crosscurrent CCX vs Haibike SDURO Trekking 5.0

murphy917

I'm looking to dip my foot into the ebike game after watching the technology improve over the past 5 or so years and feel like the Juiced Black Friday deals might be the time to pull the trigger. Ive read about the differences in the rear hub motor and mid drive and still cant make a decision.

I currently ride a Specialized TriCross cyclocross bike on a 20 mile loop from my house that includes a 7 mile loop around a lake on gravel/dirt that I'm sure the crosscurrent would be fine handling. Do the fenders rattle badly? I guess I could take them off, dont really need them as I dont really plan to use as a commuter bike at this point (that may change if I get hooked though)

I like the extended range 52v battery of the CCX and the fact that it is quick charge compatible. Also, at 6'3 and 240lbs, the extra motor boost would prob help carry me up some of the hills as I look to improve my endurance and drop the 30lbs I have added since having knee surgery.

On the other hand the Haibike has a 500w yamaha middrive that might work well too. I can get it for about $1900 vs $2200 for the CCX on Black Friday.

I know this is an apples vs oranges comparision but as a newbie to the EBR forum, I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks for the insight JayVee....

I do like that the Haibike is more "bike-like" than a scooter but I think Im going to go with the CCX. It really has a quite impressive number of features that I think will be fun. I like that it has a zero assist that I could use for exercise and then use the throttle as needed for the boost on the hills. I can always continue to ride my Tricross (also have an Orbea road bike) after my level of fitness improves and I get back into "bike shape"

I just rode my friends CCX last week and it was a blast. I own a modified HF1000 and and a Haibike Trekking, comparing the CCX to my other bikes, the CCX controller and motor have great power and smooth application of that power to the motor. If you need to pump up the speed you’ll be able to hold a steady 28-30mph with a light effort compared to a Yamaha or Bosch drive.

I would agree with the other commenters about the mid motor v hub motor choice and how it relates to climbing hills. If your ride profile is flat there’s a certain efficiency with a hub motor. One could make a good on pavement hill climber, but it takes more power than most pre-built bikes offer.

Maintenance can also factor into your choice. Hub motor flat tires aren’t fun due to the extra weight and motor cable disconnect. If you do end up going with a mid motor, factor in chains and cassette replacements. My trekking is wearing out one chain and the 11t and 13t cogs every 2500 miles.

Finally, take into account how much exercise you want to do. I was able to get to 30mph on the ccx with light effort, maybe spinning 70 rpm. On any other big brand mid drive you’d be lucky to maintain 25 mph given the same effort.

With the Black Friday discount, I just don't think you can get a better bike for the price than the CCX. Could you get as good a bike? Maybe - I don't know enough about all other similarly priced bikes.

I can tell you that at 6' 3" the CCS in xl is a good fit. Raise the seat, put a stem riser on it and it is a monster of a bike.

With the Black Friday discount, I just don't think you can get a better bike for the price than the CCX. Could you get as good a bike? Maybe - I don't know enough about all other similarly priced bikes.

I agree, seems to be a great value! Does anyone know the torque of this bike?

Back