Creo SL Shutting Off

Steve's 3412

Region
USA
Was doing a 60 mile ride the other day, installed my extender battery. I had Mission Control set to use the Extender Battery first, then switch to the bike battery. At about 45 miles the extender battery was showing 1 bar on the scale, the battery usually is used up around 40 miles other times. Was peddling up a hill and was peddling hard. Looked down and the bike had shut down. Hit the switch and the bike started to assist again. Went about 20 feet and the bike shut down again. This happened a couple more times. I started to freak out, had another15 miles to home, was in the hilly part of the ride and I was tired and did not want to peddle that heavy bike home with no assist. Was the 8th day in a row I had rode. I stopped and unplug the extender battery and turned the bike on. It stayed on for the ride home. I have turn off the "use extender battery first". Has any one had this problem?

Please update the Range Extender firmware.
It is a known glitch related to the RE.
What I do in such a situation is unplugging the RE (as I do not want to update the firmware).

Please update the Range Extender firmware.
It is a known glitch related to the RE.
What I do in such a situation is unplugging the RE (as I do not want to update the firmware).
Oh that’s interesting. How to update it? Also does range extender simply plug in or do you also turn the lever by the plug to lock it in somehow?

Oh that’s interesting. How to update it? Also does range extender simply plug in or do you also turn the lever by the plug to lock it in somehow?
You need to bring the battery to the LBS (whether you need to bring the e-bike too is unclear to me yet).
For Creo and Vado SL, there is a 220 mm Road SL RE Cable. You insert one of the plugs into the RE and secure it with a provided rubber band. You insert the RE into the vertical water-bottle-cage and secure it by rotating it (there is a notch in the RE for that). Eventually, you plug the other end of the cable into the socket in the e-bike and secure it by rotating a latch that is a part of the plug.

Excellent. That last step of rotating the latch to secure the plug has me stuck for some reason. Do to recall which direction you turn the latch to lock it?

Excellent. That last step of rotating the latch to secure the plug has me stuck for some reason. Do to recall which direction you turn the latch to lock it?
You start with the latch at the 2 o'clock position and turn it downwards to 5 o'clock. Clockwise.
20230320_121540-01.jpeg

Locked.

Last edited:
Wow this is perfect. Strange thing is it *feels* like on my bike the plug is just as easy to remove at unlocked 2 position vs locked 5 position.

Wow this is perfect. Strange thing is it *feels* like on my bike the plug is just as easy to remove at unlocked 2 position vs locked 5 position.
Perhaps you have not inserted the plug fully into the socket with the latch in the Open position!

It’s crazy! I did a gravel race Saturday and took the extender not locked in. When it disconnects, the bike shuts off. Not helpful in a race!

Mine is weird or I am nervous to break it. It seems like mine inserts about 1 o’clock and locks at 2 o’clock. It is harder to remove at 2. My latch clicks into the 1 o’clock spot but not the 5 o’clock spot.

It seems like mine inserts about 1 o’clock and locks at 2 o’clock. It is harder to remove at 2. My latch clicks into the 1 o’clock spot but not the 5 o’clock spot.
Something's wrong. The latch shall rotate full 90 degrees!

Is it really hard to turn? It rotates full 90 not inserted but will take some effort when plugged in
It means the plug has not been inserted deep enough. It is pretty easy to turn the latch (just checked it with my fingers). There is a smooth resistance, nothing hard.

Last edited:
Now, another thing. You have probably done it correctly but I was indeed making mistakes in the beginning. Didn't know the RE had to be rotated in the water-bottle-cage to secure it, and the battery almost fell out on my second ride... :)

Now, another thing. You have probably done it correctly but I was indeed making mistakes in the beginning. Didn't know the RE had to be rotated in the water-bottle-cage to secure it, and the battery almost fell out on my second ride... :)
Yes I wondered about that. I rotated it so the cable didn’t have a lot of play, thinking that would be a good thing. It seemed jammed in there pretty good and didn’t even want to rotate.

On my Creo you insert the cable with the latch at the 12 o'clock and it's locked a 4 o'clock. When the cable is new it is harder to insert and lock. I recently broke a cable just before a ride by forgetting to plug the lower cable. Fortunately I had a spare.
Creo Plug Unlocked.jpg

Last edited:
Back