Creo SL Range Extender Battery Issue

Nak

Region
USA
Hi!

I recently purchased a used--only 700 miles--Turbo Creo Sl Comp Carbon EVO--OK that's a mouthful! Great bike! Anyways, I also purchased a new RE battery. The RE battery however was bad and required warranty replacement through my LBS. I just got the new one, charged it up and went for a ride this morning. I checked before leaving and both batteries showed 100% charge and health in MC. Just a few minutes into the ride the SOC showing in MC went from 150% to 98%. I checked in MC and the RE battery was no longer showing, plus the green battery lights on the top tube display disappeared. I continued the ride on the main battery. When I got home, I unplugged the RE, plugged it back in and turned on the bike. The RE was back and showed 98%.

Has anyone had something like this happen? Thoughts?

Thanks!

Hi!

I recently purchased a used--only 700 miles--Turbo Creo Sl Comp Carbon EVO--OK that's a mouthful! Great bike! Anyways, I also purchased a new RE battery. The RE battery however was bad and required warranty replacement through my LBS. I just got the new one, charged it up and went for a ride this morning. I checked before leaving and both batteries showed 100% charge and health in MC. Just a few minutes into the ride the SOC showing in MC went from 150% to 98%. I checked in MC and the RE battery was no longer showing, plus the green battery lights on the top tube display disappeared. I continued the ride on the main battery. When I got home, I unplugged the RE, plugged it back in and turned on the bike. The RE was back and showed 98%.

Has anyone had something like this happen? Thoughts?

Thanks!
I find that attaching the extender battery cable to the port on the seat tube is very finicky. I sometimes have to do it several times to get it connected properly. Then counter-intuitively....when I am disconnecting the cable, it won't come off without a lot of fiddling (I worry that I will put too much force on it and damage the port). It's annoying.

Reactions: Nak
I find that attaching the extender battery cable to the port on the seat tube is very finicky. I sometimes have to do it several times to get it connected properly. Then counter-intuitively....when I am disconnecting the cable, it won't come off without a lot of fiddling (I worry that I will put too much force on it and damage the port). It's annoying.
Thanks! I had a "Doh!" moment I think... I was locking it by twisting the lock CCW instead of CW. I think that's my issue. 🙄

Thanks! I had a "Doh!" moment I think... I was locking it by twisting the lock CCW instead of CW. I think that's my issue. 🙄
My lock can be hard to rotate to the locked position - clockwise. Sometimes I have to reseat the cable.

You also know that Mission Control can change the discharge. You can opt to first discharge the Range Extender and then the Main battery. Or you can opt to discharge them in parallel. I think the first option is so that you can throw another Range Extender before using the main battery at all.

Enjoy.

One thing that seems to help with mine is to leave the cable un-connected to the actual secondary battery while connecting the other end to the seat tube connector. Once that end is secure (I check by trying to pull it off the seat tube), then I connect the other end of the cable to the battery.

"I was locking it by twisting the lock CCW instead of CW"
I too in the beginning had a similar issue.
However, to this day, I'm still unsure as to what is 'locked' vs 'unlocked', as I can remove the plug in either position.
BAD design.....

If you can remove the plug in either position, it is not seated correctly or you've somehow broken the latch. Keep in mind it has to seal for water resistance and stay firmly attached on rough roads.

"I was locking it by twisting the lock CCW instead of CW"
I too in the beginning had a similar issue.
However, to this day, I'm still unsure as to what is 'locked' vs 'unlocked', as I can remove the plug in either position.
BAD design.....
Interesting. I think I can only remove it when UNlocked (counter clockwise). Maybe you're not inserting it enough. As I wrote, I do have trouble getting the lock to turn (clockwise) unless I fiddle a bit with the plug.

Back