Crank squeak

Nico

Region
USA
I have a fairly new Yamaha Wabash RT, about 700 miles. I have a squeak that seems like it’s coming from my crank. Sounds like a metal on metal sound at a slow cadence. Not pedals. When on the work stand and spinning the pedals/crank it doesn’t squeak. When pedaling, at slower speeds, around 10mph, I hear a squeak seemingly from the right side.

With that being said, it seems like only when under load? Or only with my weight on it?
Any thoughts?
Tough to diagnose as it doesn’t squeak when on my work stand.

God, I absolutely hate noises like that...
My most likely candidates list would include pedals and crank arm bolts as well, but also a seat post and clamp that hasn't been lightly greased can sometimes make you crazy. The absolute worst though, that had me ready to pull my hair out after weeks of dealing with it, was accidentally discovered when I leaned on the seat and heard that same damn noise I had been chasing down. It had NOTHING to do with the pedals or crank arms that I had been messing with. It was the damn seat. Every time my right leg pushed down on the pedal, that seat would shift just enough to make the noise. One tiny gob of grease later we were good to go.

SILENCE IS GOLDEN!!!!!

Hi Nico,
I have been using fiber grip paste on the crank shaft ends before tightening the crank arms on. This paste is used when assembling carbon bikes. For example you can only apply limited Nn on a carbon seatpost, but you still want it to stay in place. Also check the torque the chainring bolts. I like to use blue locktight on these to make them solid. You could pull and replace them one at a time with locktight. One more thing, the chain. I have a bike today that has a chain squeak with a click. That single speed chain to an internal gear hub has a lot of miles. I will just replace it. That could be what it is telling me. Better to listen than to ignore. I know a guy who didn't want to listen to what his chain was telling him and broke it in the boonies with no cell reception. He had to find a farmhouse to call a tow truck.

Oddly enough, check the fasteners under your saddle. As you hips move around to pedal, you put load on both sides of the saddle. Check the pedal to crank fasteners. I use a light coating of grease on the pedals bolts and crank fasteners.

My issue was the kickstand bracket. The frame would torque just enough to make it creak. I took the mid drive out a few times chasing this down.

Last edited:
A screw of a motor's cover plate had backed out, causing a click each time the quick-link passed. It was totally hidden behind the chainring. It was a good opportunity to do a tire rotation when installing the new heavy duty e-chain. It is a KMC Z1eHX Wide. It lasts like a belt at a fraction of the cost.

Attachments

• Z1eHX Wide.JPG
    Z1eHX Wide.JPG
    383.9 KB · Views: 122
Back