Covering battery connections on Specialized Turbo Vado 3.0 when battery is not attached

Ellievking1

Region
United Kingdom
I'd like to do a multi-day cycling trip with my Turbo Vado (2020 model I think), so I'll need to charge the battery overnight. I imagine most places are not going to have outdoor e-bike charging points, so the battery will have to come inside and the bike might have to stay outside.

Unfortunately removing the battery leaves the electrical connections exposed to the weather. Has anyone devised a way of covering the connections when the battery is not attached to the bike so you can charge the battery inside?

I use a few wraps of plastic cling wrap, like Saran Wrap, around the down tube to keep out rain & other debris. I also use it to protect the handlebar electrics when transporting the bike. I always keep a roll in my truck.

If you're lucky, you can find a plastic cap that will fit over the contacts for a more "professional" approach. A good place to look is here:

My wife's Trek uses a standard Bosch external battery and we found a rubber plug tailor-made for covering the contacts when the battery is removed. Specialized is more mfr-specific and there might not be something specifically for it.

I would just make one. Cover the area in dielectric lube then apply silicone sealant in layers over a couple off days. The lube will serve as mold release. Layers will cure much faster than all at once. It will be a perfect fit. Then remove the extra lube with Q-tips. This is assuming that your bike has contact prongs that stick up into the bottom of the battery.

I'd like to do a multi-day cycling trip with my Turbo Vado (2020 model I think), so I'll need to charge the battery overnight. I imagine most places are not going to have outdoor e-bike charging points, so the battery will have to come inside and the bike might have to stay outside.

Unfortunately removing the battery leaves the electrical connections exposed to the weather. Has anyone devised a way of covering the connections when the battery is not attached to the bike so you can charge the battery inside?
Giant has a cap you can snugly put over the connecter area. Perhaps Specialized has one for your bike as well.

Back