Converting a rad rover to class 1

Gordon71

I had been riding my new RR step through on a local bike/walking trail. Today there was a new sign that said class 2&3 prohibited 20MPH top speed. OK so I plan to get in touch with the park to see if I can get some kind of special use permit since I'm 71 and have a mild heart issue. If that fails I'm thinking about simply removing the throttle as I understand that's the only difference between a class 1&2. I could get a new set of grips from Rad and replace the short throttle side grip with the longer left side grip. Frankly between the 7 gears and 5 PAS levels I have no use for a throttle anyway. Am I missing anything?

I'd be tempted to just unplug the throttle if you're concerned about potential enforcement, and maybe add the correct sticker. Myself, with all the reading I've done on the e-bike throttle topic, I'm aware of just a couple instances where somebody was even spoken to about the throttle issue - nation wide. I think it's just about the dumbest rule there is, and until I hear about more enforcement, my bike will be ridden on Class 1 trails with the throttle intact. That's me though, one who would beg for forgiveness rather than seek permission. 3 years and tons of miles on Class 1 trails (Michigan and Florida), and counting. -Al

I'd be tempted to just unplug the throttle if you're concerned about potential enforcement, and maybe add the correct sticker. Myself, with all the reading I've done on the e-bike throttle topic, I'm aware of just a couple instances where somebody was even spoken to about the throttle issue - nation wide. I think it's just about the dumbest rule there is, and until I hear about more enforcement, my bike will be ridden on Class 1 trails with the throttle intact. That's me though, one who would beg for forgiveness rather than seek permission. 3 years and tons of miles on Class 1 trails (Michigan and Florida), and counting. -Al
Great idea thanks. It really is a stupid rule. I never thought about just unplugging the throttle when I get to the park. That alone would convert it to class 1 for that particular use.

I'm with AHicks here. While I'm not one for knowingly breaking the law, I've also spent 2 seasons riding over 2K miles with my class 2 bike on trails in 6 states which may or may not be class 1 only. In most cases, posted signs aren't clear on the issue.

When trail riding with my class 2 bike in MA. last season, I stopped at a LBS who rents class 2 ebikes to ask about local laws. The owner told me that technically, class 2 bikes are not permitted on MA. trails but compliance isn't strictly enforced. He told me that local LEO's look for right side split grip twist throttles to spot class 2 & 3 ebikes. He showed me this left hand thumb throttle he plans to put on his class 2 rental bikes if enforcement becomes an issue:

613LA9Hk1iL._AC_SL1001_.jpg

The short right hand grip and throttle would then be replaced with a full size grip as mentioned above. The left thumb throttle is much more stealthy and easier to disguise. He says a great many of his customers are retired or elderly folks who require a throttle to ride safely. Otherwise, he would simply remove the throttles completely.

I can't say I approve of his approach but he is a small mom & pop LBS with a LOT of $$ invested in a fleet of class 2 bikes. When he purchased them, the class laws had not yet been adopted in MA. I suppose I would do the same thing if I were in his shoes.

It remains to be seen if I'll do something similar. It will depend on whether I actually get cited for a violation. In the mean time, I'll continue to ride courteously, not offend others and use the throttle sparingly and only when necessary.

Just a quick comment. I use a thumb throttle, as I find it easier on my wrist. That, and it's not used frequently. Most often, it's just to get the bike moving from a stop. -Al

Just a quick comment. I use a thumb throttle, as I find it easier on my wrist. That, and it's not used frequently. Most often, it's just to get the bike moving from a stop. -Al
There's a guy on ebay that's sells a simple ring with thumb extension that mounts on the rad twist throttle making it more user friendly.

I'm with AHicks here. While I'm not one for knowingly breaking the law, I've also spent 2 seasons riding over 2K miles with my class 2 bike on trails in 6 states which may or may not be class 1 only. In most cases, posted signs aren't clear on the issue.

When trail riding with my class 2 bike in MA. last season, I stopped at a LBS who rents class 2 ebikes to ask about local laws. The owner told me that technically, class 2 bikes are not permitted on MA. trails but compliance isn't strictly enforced. He told me that local LEO's look for right side split grip twist throttles to spot class 2 & 3 ebikes. He showed me this left hand thumb throttle he plans to put on his class 2 rental bikes if enforcement becomes an issue:

View attachment 48608

The short right hand grip and throttle would then be replaced with a full size grip as mentioned above. The left thumb throttle is much more stealthy and easier to disguise. He says a great many of his customers are retired or elderly folks who require a throttle to ride safely. Otherwise, he would simply remove the throttles completely.

I can't say I approve of his approach but he is a small mom & pop LBS with a LOT of $$ invested in a fleet of class 2 bikes. When he purchased them, the class laws had not yet been adopted in MA. I suppose I would do the same thing if I were in his shoes.

It remains to be seen if I'll do something similar. It will depend on whether I actually get cited for a violation. In the mean time, I'll continue to ride courteously, not offend others and use the throttle sparingly and only when necessary.
I plan to just stop when I get to the park and simply unplug the throttle cable. That way if stopped I can simply point out that for the time I'm in the park I'm riding a class 1.

Here in Toronto the waterfront trail is limited to 20kph as well. I just follow the limit (well maybe hit 22 to 24kph) and not worry about it.

If they were ever going to enforce the limits here, it would be a lot more lucrative to to crack down on the spandex pedal road bike crowd, as there's tons of 30kph+ riders whipping around here. 😊

I plan to just stop when I get to the park and simply unplug the throttle cable. That way if stopped I can simply point out that for the time I'm in the park I'm riding a class 1.

I considered doing the same thing but my bike is labeled class 2. Does disabling the throttle make a class 2 bike a class 1 in the eyes of the law if it is still labeled class 2? I suspect it will depend on the officer.

I considered doing the same thing but my bike is labeled class 2. Does disabling the throttle make a class 2 bike a class 1 in the eyes of the law if it is still labeled class 2? I suspect it will depend on the officer.
It should. My understanding is that having a throttle is the only difference so if said throttle is deactivated then it's a class 1.

How do you convince the officer you won’t plug it in as soon as he is gone? Having it temporarily disabled does not put you in the clear in my opinion.

That might work well enough to ease your fear of breaking the law. My bet is though, when you see how often anyone even gives you a casual glance, you may start "forgetting" to disable the throttle more and more frequently.

Another point. These guys that are out there trying to keep things orderly are people too. I'm pretty sure they recognize how stupid this rule is as well as you and I do. That could be the reason enforcing it is so casual. My thought anyway, FWIW. -Al

That might work well enough to ease your fear of breaking the law. My bet is though, when you see how often anyone even gives you a casual glance, you may start "forgetting" to disable the throttle more and more frequently.

Another point. These guys that are out there trying to keep things orderly are people too. I'm pretty sure they recognize how stupid this rule is as well as you and I do. That could be the reason enforcing it is so casual. My thought anyway, FWIW. -Al
I'm sure you are correct regarding enforcement. I doubt though that I will forget when there is a sign right there when I get to one of the several entrances to the bike paths. Since it's just a matter of pulling a little plug I intend to do that. That way if stopped I can easily show them that the throttle has been disabled and educate them regarding the difference between 1&2 should the not know.

I'm sure you are correct regarding enforcement. I doubt though that I will forget when there is a sign right there when I get to one of the several entrances to the bike paths. Since it's just a matter of pulling a little plug I intend to do that. That way if stopped I can easily show them that the throttle has been disabled and educate them regarding the difference between 1&2 should the not know.

I would advise against the thought of "educating" them. Thinking 99% that are going to bother you over something like this are very likely to have the notion they need to educate YOU! My advice would be to just answer questions politely, without offering/sharing any "wisdom", even if it is relevant. Give them a chance to show off what they (don't) know....;)

I would advise against the thought of "educating" them. Thinking 99% that are going to bother you over something like this are very likely to have the notion they need to educate YOU! My advice would be to just answer questions politely, without offering/sharing any "wisdom", even if it is relevant. Give them a chance to show off what they (don't) know....;)
I would never be antagonistic as that's not me. I would just point out that the throttle has been deactivated and let them explain whether or not there is still a problem. There is actually nothing on the bike that I could find that says it's a class 2.

Concidentally, I just happened to watch EBR review of Amego Elevate, which comes with throttle.
At the end of the video, Court was mentioning how throttle isn't allowed in some places, but you could just remove it.
I can't count how many times Court told the viewer to just remove (or unplug?) the throttle if you want to make it legal in some jurisdictions.

Is this how it works? Because Juiced CrossCurrent X is a Class 2 ebike, it even comes with a Class 2 sticker.
It is capable of close to 35mph, max power of approx. 1300W in "off road mode".
But from the factory, it comes with Class 2 spec, and if you go on off road mode, it is up to the consumer to remove the Class 2 sticker.

Vintage Electric has class 2 ebikes, 750W, 20mph top speed, but it's capable of 3000W, 36mph if you go on "off road mode"
The owner of Vintage Electric was talking about it on Jay Leno's Garage and he said he use the bike for commuting too.

Not sure of your question Timpo, but thinking you know the answer. A class 2 bike is no different than a class 1, except for the fact the class 2 is throttle equipped. Neither are allowed to exceed 20mph or have (use?) more than 750 watts.

That said, I don't think there is a law regarding somebody getting creative. People like Bolton might be reluctant to do what they do otherwise. It would be tough to prove, and I think any enforcement agency might have more pressing issues. Just don't get caught on your class 1 or class 2 doing 30 mph on the level. Because you are able to run 40+ does not mean you should!

That would be a presumption of guilt.

I'm not a lawyer but I imagine the officer must prove that he was in fact, riding his bike with throttle engaged, hence breaking the law.

I am not sure if they can accuse somebody, or find someone guilty for something he "might" or "could" do.
Whether he had the throttle in his pocket, his backpack, or attached on his handlebar, he was not using it at that time. It was disengaged.
(that said, I understand what you mean)

As some people have mentioned, it's a stupid rule. Class 1, Class 2, Class 3... 250W, 500W, 750w... 15mph, 20mph, 28mph... throttle, no throttle... why add so many complexity.

I completely agree that one of those 8000W, 60mph "ebike" that you see on YouTube must be banned on bike trail or any public road.
Those are motorcycles with pedals, not ebikes.

However, I have seen an older gentleman riding his Stromer ST5 (which is banned in some places because of power and speed), it didn't look any more dangerous than Rad Rover and Pedego with throttle.

I've seen many people on Stromer riding responsibly.. if I didn't know about ebikes, I'd just guess that ST5 was just another ebike.
I think that really is the main thing. There is no reason to ban a bike that is class 2 or 3. Post a sensible speed limit and just enforce that. You don't need a motor or a throttle to ride a bike at a reckless speed. On the sign that said no class 2's or 3's it also said 20MPH. I've ridden those trails and there's no way I would go that fast. I suppose I could go faster than 20 on the down hills but I'm rather fond of living.

What do these LEO's look like?

In all my years of riding on metro, state, city, county, parks I have yet to see one.
I've seen EMT's on the trails helping people but that's about it.

Back