Controller upgrade for Himiway Cruiser

johnha7

Does anyone know if there is a compatible controller upgrade (e.g. 35A) for Himiway bikes? I watched a video by BoltonBikes about a 35amp controller conversion kit for the RadRover which they sell and am wondering if this might work. Anyone have experience doing this?

The Hemiway has a Bafang motor, right? If so, I think the Bolton kit will plug right into that, and you should be all set connecting the display that comes with it, but then there's the throttle, brake wires, and PAS sensor. That's where you might get into trouble with the right connectors to match the Hemi connectors, as well as the wires being in the proper order if you have the right connectors. Do NOT assume the colors will match on both sides of the plug either.

Some guys really struggle here, and trying to provide help when they are in SO far over their head is super difficult. Other folks seem to have much better comprehension and can walk right through something like this.

And Timpo is right on point. Bolton is not the only supplier for KT components. There are Chinese suppliers that can sell you what you need for a fraction of what Bolton gets. Downside being support..... They'll back defective product to a certain extent, but help for what color wire does what or to explain why won't this work? Forget it....

I recall that Lüanxing makes the 750w motors. May NOT make a difference to the controller circuitry.

I recall that Lüanxing makes the 750w motors. May NOT make a difference to the controller circuitry.

The issue then, would be how difficult it would be to match Bolton's mod, which is set up for Bafang, to whatever the Luanxing is using. Agree, no or very little difference in circuitry, way more about compatible wire ends. That's the big draw with the Bolton kits, the fact they are plug and play. Unplug OEM controller, plug his in, and you're off and running.

If the ends don't match, you're likely further ahead sourcing a KT controller on the aftermarket for a lot less money - assuming you want to figure all the wiring out on your own!

Yes, exactly! You can buy a kit, that includes brake levers, a throttle, a display, a PAS sensor, and a motor all laced up to the correct size rim. Then just assemble it on the donor bike. In the case of the Himiway, the only mod necessary to install a "kit" would be for the battery wiring - which is very easily done (XT90's). This is pretty much exactly how I did the RAD City 2 years before the Bolton kits were even available.....

Does anyone know if there is a compatible controller upgrade (e.g. 35A) for Himiway bikes? I watched a video by BoltonBikes about a 35amp controller conversion kit for the RadRover which they sell and am wondering if this might work. Anyone have experience doing this?
BTW, not sure if this got answered directly or not, but I personally contacted Bolton... they said "No, it will not work with the Himiway at all".

what's the original controller from the cruiser ?
tired of waiting for himiway service :(
You might want to contact Bolton Ebikes in Calif. USA he mentioned they may be making a upgrade controller for the Himiway a while back. In any case the problem with using another controller is the voltage must match the battery, the connectors to all the systems need to match pin for pin.

You might want to contact Bolton Ebikes in Calif. USA he mentioned they may be making a upgrade controller for the Himiway a while back. In any case the problem with using another controller is the voltage must match the battery, the connectors to all the systems need to match pin for pin.
What could happen if ur controller has to much power over ur battery???

The issue then, would be how difficult it would be to match Bolton's mod, which is set up for Bafang, to whatever the Luanxing is using. Agree, no or very little difference in circuitry, way more about compatible wire ends. That's the big draw with the Bolton kits, the fact they are plug and play. Unplug OEM controller, plug his in, and you're off and running.

If the ends don't match, you're likely further ahead sourcing a KT controller on the aftermarket for a lot less money - assuming you want to figure all the wiring out on your own!
Could u add dual motors like front motor on the himiway??

a lot of the cheap bike batteries don't have one.
I doubt the Himiway battery is "cheap" as they are using Samsung 35E cells. As far as the controller is concerned I know it has max Amp output of 25 Amps as I found a setting in the menu system to change it from factory setting of 20 Amps to 25 Amps. What I don't know is what is the cutoff current for the BMS it must be at least 25 Amps as I have not had any issues after changing to 25 Amps in controller.

What could happen if ur controller has to much power over ur battery???
Think of the controller as an on/off valve between the battery and the motor. A tiny valve may not let everything the battery has to offer through to the motor because there's a size restriction. Not a very effecient plan from a performance perspective. A huge valve would certainly let everything the battery has available through, but there's a thing called overkill. A little overkill is fine. Actually it's desirable, but there's no advantage in going beyond that.

I doubt the Himiway battery is "cheap" as they are using Samsung 35E cells. As far as the controller is concerned I know it has max Amp output of 25 Amps as I found a setting in the menu system to change it from factory setting of 20 Amps to 25 Amps. What I don't know is what is the cutoff current for the BMS it must be at least 25 Amps as I have not had any issues after changing to 25 Amps in controller.
How did you change the settings?

Back