Como Slipping fix?

My Como has developed the clunking, skipping problem like the chain or motor is slipping a tooth when pedaling in high gear with a load. I know this is a problem with some Specialized bikes and I’ve read every thread I could find on the problem/fix but no definitive answer on exactly what the problem turned out to be and what fixed it. Anyone have the answer? FYI, I’ve only had this bike for a couple of months and approximately 300 miles.

The COMO with 40 tooth front sprocket does not have high enough gearing for cruising at or above 20 mph. Using the 11 tooth rear causes extreme chain and sprocket wear. Many COMO users have reported this problem. One solution is a higher quality sprocket and chain. Check to see if this a recall item with your dealer.

The best solution is to replace the cluster with a highest quality cluster and an e-bike certified chain (I think some here can recommend solutions) AND to replace the front 40 tooth sprocket with a 48 tooth sprocket. This will allow you to cruise using a 13 tooth or 15 tooth rear and only using the 11 tooth rear for descents.

I have geared my 1st generation Turbo this way. I can hit 26.5 mph e-assist cutoff in 10th (48-13) of 11 speeds at a cadence of 85 rpm and use the 11 the speed (48-11) for descents at 28-35 mph. Above 35 mph I am coasting in a tuck!

Doug

The COMO with 40 tooth front sprocket does not have high enough gearing for cruising at or above 20 mph. Using the 11 tooth rear causes extreme chain and sprocket wear. Many COMO users have reported this problem. One solution is a higher quality sprocket and chain. Check to see if this a recall item with your dealer.

The best solution is to replace the cluster with a highest quality cluster and an e-bike certified chain (I think some here can recommend solutions) AND to replace the front 40 tooth sprocket with a 48 tooth sprocket. This will allow you to cruise using a 13 tooth or 15 tooth rear and only using the 11 tooth rear for descents.

I have geared my 1st generation Turbo this way. I can hit 26.5 mph e-assist cutoff in 10th (48-13) of 11 speeds at a cadence of 85 rpm and use the 11 the speed (48-11) for descents at 28-35 mph. Above 35 mph I am coasting in a tuck!

Doug

I’ve already switched to the 48T crank sprocket and that was a great improvement. Going to stop at LBS today and see what they have to say. Took a ride yesterday and the skipping, clunking in high gear was very annoying to the point I stopped using high gear.

I’ve already switched to the 48T crank sprocket and that was a great improvement. ... the skipping, clunking in high gear was very annoying to the point I stopped using high gear.
Well, get a Deckas 52T crank sprocket and you're ready for take off.
Do you really use the highest gear regularly even with the 48T at front ??

Well, get a Deckas 52T crank sprocket and you're ready for take off.
Do you really use the highest gear regularly even with the 48T at front ??
I would have gone with the 52T but couldn’t find anything bigger than the 48T. And yes, I use high gear all the time. Nice easy cadence at 22 to 23 mph. I can only imagine how nice a 52T would be.

I would have gone with the 52T but couldn’t find anything bigger than the 48T. ... I can only imagine how nice a 52T would be.
start doing it, stop imaging:
and please report because you'll be first to use a 52T.

Back