Commuter bike help

Jpike

Hi everyone. I’m happy to have found this website and forum and I’m learning a lot about the ebike universe. After some thought and cost analysis, I’ve recently decided to get an ebike for my work commute (have been driving 26 mi round trip). My bike commute route is 11 miles one way. The ride in is a net downhill of about 700 feet with a few small climbs along the way. It’s mostly road with nice wide bike lanes and bike paths. I can ride in on my non-ebike (hardtail 29er MTB) in about 45 min. The ride home takes about 55 min. I enjoy running and mountain biking in my free-time and not I’m not looking for a ton of extra exercise from the ebike commute. I just want to minimize my time spent commuting and not wear myself out too much. I’d like a class 3 that I can ride in the mid 20’s per hour for as much of my commute as possible. I’d like to spend less than $2k. Based on my perusal of this forum, I see a lot of people recommending the Juiced CCS, and I’m seriously considering it (but that wait time....). I’ve also seen a new bike, the Aventon Pace 500 that looks like it could work for my purposes and I like the price point ($1,399).

https://www.aventon.com/pages/aventon-pace-500

I haven’t seen any feedback or reviews of it yet, so I’m hesitant to go for it.

Should I wait for the CCS in December, risk it with the Pace 500, anyother suggestions or ideas? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

I have a similar commute to yours in length, but with steep hills as well as long grades. Here's a little picture of my commute to work, and as you can see there are even more hills coming back the other way!
Screen Shot 2018-10-17 at 9.01.14 PM.png

I love my class 2 hub drive bike. My 12 mile ride to work takes about 50 minutes each way, from in-my-garage to my office building. Since the drive takes at least that long in traffic, this is terrific, and I love the moderate exercise. The commute is enjoyable and not in the least exhausting. No need for a shower, or even to fix my hair.

In making your purchase decision, keep in mind that when the bike breaks down you will need to be able to get parts and repairs in a timely manner, so along with looking at bikes and features, find out what kind of service the company provides, not just based on what they say, but on experience of other owners and your own experiences in getting them on the phone or via email to answer your questions. We have four ebikes and have definitely appreciated having great service nearby, especially being able to get a loaner. My bike hasn't needed anything, but my husband had a warranty-covered problem and got a loaner for two weeks, which he really appreciated since he uses his ebike every day. It is quite agony to be without one's ebike once you get used to riding it often.

ALSO, as you know as a cyclist, bike fit matters. This is where test-riding comes in. I suggest going to your LBS and trying lots of ebikes. It's fun to do test-rides and it will help you to figure out what you like, as riding experiences differ from bike to bike.

Happy shopping!

Thanks for the input Amy. Good points to think about. I feel that I have a good sense of the frame size I need based on my riding experience, so I’m feeling reasonably comfortable buying a bike prior to testing it if I’m confident the motor will work for my needs and the price is right. I get sticker shock when I look at ebikes at the LBS, and the motor specs look comparable to what I can find online for much more reasonable price. I did a test ride at a LBS that sells retrospec frames with class 2 250w EBO hub motors installed. I certainly liked it, but would have liked a little more oomph. I’ve attached a pic of my elevation profile and speed on the return commute riding my MTB.

Attachments

• 31E97448-C918-44A9-8097-E1CB34BBD063.png
    31E97448-C918-44A9-8097-E1CB34BBD063.png
    293.3 KB · Views: 453
If you like your MTB, put a power wheel kit in it. Maybe $600 with a minimal battery. I just bought a working 17.5 AH battery for $630 from luna for maybe a 60 mile range. The $179 power wheel direct drive hub kit works fine, but maybe I should have sprung for a little more money and got a PAS sensor, too. Holding that thumb throttle forever may be a nuisance.
Pictures of my installation on this thread: https://electricbikereview.com/foru...ce-your-ideal-set-up-or-your-wish-list.25696/
Friday reality time. Range of 17.5 AH 48 v battery at 12 mph, 50 miles. I rode 45 miles, pulled it down to 44.7 v. Oh, well. maybe LV-48v-1000 is not the most efficient hub motor in the world. But cheap! and powerful, got me up a ~12% grade no pedaling.

Last edited:
My commute is 12 miles round trip. I have a Magnum Metro+ which comes with fairly puncture resistant tires and hydraulic brakes. I love the use of the throttle for taking off after stopping for red lights. The battery capacity is good and I suspect you would easily get two round trips. I put 750 miles on mine in three months and would buy it again without a second thought. I know a couple of guys who commute on RAD bikes too and they seem to really like them.

Indianajo, I love my MTB, but don’t want to electrify it for commuting use. I’ve definitely considered going the DIY route and getting a Craigslist steel road frame, but I’m leaning toward a purpose built bike now. Your rig looks nice!

MetroDuck, thanks for pointing out the Magnum Metro Plus, it looks like it checks all the boxes I’m looking to check.... How much battery do you use one way on your trip and is it hilly? I’m wondering if I need that big of a battery. It seems like I’ll use relatively little battery on my ride in, can charge at work, and need juice mostly for the ride uphill home. Is a 13 AH battery more than I need? I’m still quite attracted to the Aventon due to the price and performance (I think) I’m looking for.

More range is might better than less if you end up being like many of us here and riding your ebike way more than you expected. :)

Also, battery range gets lower as a battery ages. My understanding is if a battery is just right for a certain range when new, it can be expected that that won't be the case in a year or two or three?

It's hard to know the right answer without a crystal ball! ;)

Last edited:
I think most people will tell you that you cannot have too much battery, even so the magnum is not much bigger than the aventon, it has 11.6 right?

Hopefully someone else will chime in on the different components

If you get the aventon please post back on how it does for you

Thanks for the input all, very helpful. I found a LBS that carries the Magnum Metro Plus. I’m going to stop by for a test ride in the next few days before I pull the trigger on purchasing the Aventon. The extra battery and dealer support of the Metro is looking attractive.

indianajo, you made a comment about not having PAS and holding throttle constantly. You sure cruise is not available? Normally you hold a speed for five seconds or so cruise will activate with no PAS. I know on my kit there was a procedure to turn it on like short a cable turn on display and than remove jumper or something like that. Just mentioning just in case you did not try.

Thanks for the input all, very helpful. I found a LBS that carries the Magnum Metro Plus. I’m going to stop by for a test ride in the next few days before I pull the trigger on purchasing the Aventon. The extra battery and dealer support of the Metro is looking attractive.

Definately try to test ride as much as possible and try to not be too much in a rush. Im a long time MTBr (started in early 90s). I rode quite alot of different bikes and my goal wasnt a commuter but a hardtail eMTB for fitness rides on the local trails and paths. Personally I hated non torque assist PAS and any bike with just a throttle had me just using the throttle (because I could).

I finally settled on a Bulls Evo 3 27.5+ hardtail. Its way out of your price range and Im not suggesting it but I couldnt imagine a more perfect bike for my fitness use.

After two months of around 150miles a week I feel a class 3 torque assist with throttle would be what I would want in a commuter if/when that time comes (currently work from home).

The juiced CCS/CCX/ripcurrent would be everything I would want in a commuter (torque assist, throttle and cruise control). Lots of positive feedback on youtube and this forum

I went to my LBS yesterday and test rode a few bikes including the magnum metro plus. I enjoyed the metro quite a bit and think it suites my needs just fine. So I went ahead and pulled the trigger and got it. First day on it I rode to and from work, and without breaking a sweat shaved close to 15 min off my average time each way riding in on my MTB. Not bad, exactly what I was hoping for. I even ran some errands with it after work and probably went a total of approx 35 mi. for the day with about 20% left in the tank when I got home. I’m impressed. Really fun and sturdy bike. I’ve let a few people test ride it and the reaction is always an enthusiastic “whoa!” Followed by a big smile when they first feel the assist kick in.

Thanks everyone for the advice and input.

Back