Clip-ins

• Thread starter Deleted member 803
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 803

Any recommendations on a set of top notch clip-ins. As my conditioning improves I find it unnerving to be disconnected. I've heard good things about Time Atac MX8 and Shimano SPD 9020 trail pedals.

Any opinions????????????

What sort of riding do you want to use the pedals for? Do you want clipless on both sides or platform on one and clipless on the other? Price limits?

Andrew

What sort of riding do you want to use the pedals for? Do you want clipless on both sides or platform on one and clipless on the other? Price limits?

Andrew
full clip ins. price no object but prefer mountain so I can have shoes I can walk in.

Anything shimano spd should work just fine. If you are thinking about getting a set that is flip style with one side clip one flat, definitely spend extra for it. The clip only ones tend to be smaller and don't work too well with normal shoes!

kestrel.jpg
I installed the Shimano A530 SPD pedals on my previous bike. See: http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-PD-A530-Dual-Platform-Pedal/dp/B001MZ2AGO

They are a dual sided pedal so one side has the clip-in, and the other is a platform for regular shoes.
I have a pair of Shimano SPD 9020 pedals and ordered a pair of Five Ten Kestrel shoes. The kestral shoes come with a BOA retention system. My local cyclists swear by this system so hope it lasts.

I'm looking at adding clip-ons to my current bike too, but want to retain the platform pedal as well. I'll probably go with the Shimanos that I mentioned.

For shoes, I'm looking at the Giro Rumble VR: (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Rick, noticed some nicks on your bike. I have a pretty good relationship with their customer service guy and asked him (via email) if they have any touch up paint. He indicated that they might and will let me know on Monday. If they do, I will give you his contact # and you can get some if you like. Always good to have some touchup as bikes do get dinged.

I'm looking at adding clip-ons to my current bike too, but want to retain the platform pedal as well. I'll probably go with the Shimanos that I mentioned.

For shoes, I'm looking at the Giro Rumble VR: (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)
I went with the BOA system since I can't bend over to tie my shoes. The BOA is easier to tighten for my nurse assistant.

Rick, noticed some nicks on your bike. I have a pretty good relationship with their customer service guy and asked him (via email) if they have any touch up paint. He indicated that they might and will let me know on Monday. If they do, I will give you his contact # and you can get some if you like. Always good to have some touchup as bikes do get dinged.
Thanks! I think I have some black & white touch-up paint in the box that came with the bike.

The bike is going to get nicked up a bit. Most of it came when I had resting against a pole while it was locked up. This paint does seem to scratch easily.

Thanks! I think I have some black & white touch-up paint in the box that came with the bike.

The bike is going to get nicked up a bit. Most of it came when I had resting against a pole while it was locked up. This paint does seem to scratch easily.
Great!

I have the Shimano clickR clip-ins which are fantastic for urban fare-- multi release cleats, so easy. And wide if I want to jump on without my clip in shoes.

On exstended outings I've been getting some numbing in my soles, which I attribute to wearing tennis shoes. I spoke with Mellow Johnnies but they don't carry 5 tens. I am hesiant to order online , but might have to. Thanks Rick and 86 for your choices. Gonna check out Mellows . Those 5 ten low impacts look nice though 86. Great reviews too.

Back