Class 3 ebike for hilly city

RichM

Hi everyone. I’m new to EBR and ebike. I’m looking at purchasing an ebike soon
I was looking at class 3 bikes. I live in a very hilly city with not very good roads and not many bike lanes (Worcester MA area). I was looking at the Specialized Varda 4.0 vs Trek Allant 7+. I’m not locked into anything at the moment and looking for suggestion.

Be aware that class 3 bikes are prohibited on bike trails of any sort because of their speed capability, so you will be limited to street riding with that choice.

Be aware that class 3 bikes are prohibited on bike trails of any sort because of their speed capability, so you will be limited to street riding with a class 3 bike.
I didn’t know that. thank you I can see where that would make sense. Is this across the US.

Yes, it is. There's a bit of patchwork due to local exemptions, but in most places, class 1 (pedal assist only, to speed 20mph) are permitted on any trail that allows ebikes. Class 2 (pedal assist and throttle, top speed 20mph) are permitted on many to most trails, and class 3 is prohibited on everything but roads.

I think there's a forum here with regulations by state, but I may be mistaken.

I didn’t know that. thank you I can see where that would make sense. Is this across the US.
Note that the Federal definition of a bicycle limits motor power to 746 watts (1 horsepower). Bikes with higher powered motors like some options of the Bafang Ultra have lots of power that go well beyond this limit, but they are not bicycles under federal law and are thus restricted to private property. Some riders scoff at these restrictions and run the (small) risk of getting cited and the larger risk of bringing more restrictions on the whole category.

I'd strongly recommend an ebike that complies with the definition of a bicycle, i.e. less than 746 watts. Class 1, 2 or 3 depends on your intended use. Class 3 is good for road riding. The others for trail riding. There are a number of options in each Class that are very capable hill climbers. What type of riding would you expect to be doing, other than hilly?

Last edited:
But Juiced CrossCurrent X is a Class 2 ebike.

And it's a Class 3 capable because users can adjust it.

I think this topic has been beaten to death. :confused:
Understand that - only mentioned it because OP specifically stated he was looking for a class 3 bike.

My use of the ebike would mostly be for commuting purposes, maybe a little touring in Maine.
The reason for the class 3 is because my weight is about 230 and I have large hills. I would need ride over
these hills and time to get from one location to the other could be a small factor.

Regarding getting a class 3 for their hill climbing ability, I think that would be a mistake.

Very often a class 3 bike is no more than a class 1 or 2 with the electronic speed restriction moved from 20 mph and set to 28mph. They are NOT necessarily more powerful or better at climbing bigger hills, though some are. Figures, nothing is easy right?

Rather than a focus on class 3, suggest you look at motor wattage (going for the largest available), and for the biggest hills, maybe focus on mid drive bikes. Geared hub drives will often get the job done, but the advantage of the extra gearing available with a mid drive would always give something like that the advantage.

Best of luck!

You can see your state's e-bike laws HERE.
Regarding getting a class 3 for their hill climbing ability, I think that would be a mistake.

Very often a class 3 bike is no more than a class 1 or 2 with the electronic speed restriction moved from 20 mph and set to 28mph. They are NOT necessarily more powerful or better at climbing bigger hills, though some are. Figures, nothing is easy right?

Rather than a focus on class 3, suggest you look at motor wattage (going for the largest available), and for the biggest hills, maybe focus on mid drive bikes. Geared hub drives will often get the job done, but the advantage of the extra gearing available with a mid drive would always give something like that the advantage.

Best of luck!
Good advice. I think that I will check out The local bike shops. They will have an understanding of what i'm trying to accomplish and the environment around me. trying to understand the rules and technology can be a bit overwhelming even for a person with an electronic background. with time I'll get there.

Keep asking questions! There's a ton of REAL WORLD experience available here. I like the idea of talking over your needs with a local shop - just keep in mind they are there to sell bikes. Hopefully they'll have some e-bike experience. Not all do....

Hey @RichM, I just published the BULLS ICONIC EVO TR 1 Speed, which gets the same Bosch software update to move from 75Nm of torque to 85Nm. I like this particular model because it has a unique suspension seat post + dropper. It has nicer rear suspension than many of the other city models, like the Riese & Müller Delight, is lighter weight, still comes in four frame sizes, is sold through a wide network of dealers, and is using the high-capacity Bosch Powerpack 625. This bike is awesome! But, expensive ;)

You said $4k limit and didn't mention full suspension, so this recommendation is more just me being excited because I covered the bike much earlier in the year and have been holding it for so long! Waiting to publish and share. I expect that it will sell out pretty quickly, and I think it goes for sale right now/next week.

Happy Friday!

Hey @RichM, I just published the BULLS ICONIC EVO TR 1 Speed, which gets the same Bosch software update to move from 75Nm of torque to 85Nm. I like this particular model because it has a unique suspension seat post + dropper. It has nicer rear suspension than many of the other city models, like the Riese & Müller Delight, is lighter weight, still comes in four frame sizes, is sold through a wide network of dealers, and is using the high-capacity Bosch Powerpack 625. This bike is awesome! But, expensive ;)

You said $4k limit and didn't mention full suspension, so this recommendation is more just me being excited because I covered the bike much earlier in the year and have been holding it for so long! Waiting to publish and share. I expect that it will sell out pretty quickly, and I think it goes for sale right now/next week.

Happy Friday!
wow thanks yes a bit pricey but worth looking into

Happy Friday!
Very cool and job well done on the review. A bit pricey and a little more than what I have to spend but it look like what I would be looking for. Thank you.

Rich, as you are in the hills, you very likely know getting to the top is just the first problem. Getting back down, in a safe manner, will very often be the next problem...

The GMAC geared rear hub addresses both issues. It's one of the most powerful geared hubs available (conservatively rated at about 1000w), AND it offers "variable regenerative braking". This is cutting edge stuff when it comes to e-bikes, and offers braking much like you would get in a car or pickup by downshifting to a lower gear. The GMAC hub does this with some fancy electronics that turn the motor into a generator which is trying to stuff a lot of energy back into your battery very quickly. In practice, it effectively turns the motor into a brake. A proportional brake that allows you some control over how hard that braking is.

Generally I don't like to provide stuff like this to a newbie, as I respect the fact that too much info fed too fast can lead to frustration, BUT, you said you had a tech background. Here you are. It might be worth plowing through in your situation. Look into Grin Technologies GMAC.

Last, the MAC geared hub is the same motor without the variable braking. I have one of those, and it does a very nice job of hauling this 315 lb butt up all of the hills in this rolling coastal area with little effort. However, this isn't Maine. You may find something that I haven't - a hill that this bike won't climb.

For those hills, you're going to need a mid drive for the extra advantage of those extra gears. Those and a minimum 750 watt motor should be adequate to climb about anything they can pave.

Back