Class 3 Cargo Bikes?

rye_a

Region
USA
I’ve been looking for a well made class 3 cargo bike, and so far have been able to find the Yuba Spicy Curry and the Tern GSD S11 as options. Are there other other options out there?

I just listed our cargo bike...

So Sorry to hear about your dog. That is an incredible deal on that bike, unfortunately I’m in Denver so a purchase in Chicago isn’t terribly practical.

Sometimes homemade tastes better than the stuff out of a can.

Attachments

• BodaXMe.JPG
    BodaXMe.JPG
    328.9 KB · Views: 222
  • BigDummy08.JPG.jpeg
    BigDummy08.JPG.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 233
  • Boda01.JPG
    Boda01.JPG
    264.4 KB · Views: 215
  • SpicyCurry06.JPG
    SpicyCurry06.JPG
    346.2 KB · Views: 225
  • HDCargo06.JPG
    HDCargo06.JPG
    312.1 KB · Views: 223
I’ve been looking for a well made class 3 cargo bike, and so far have been able to find the Yuba Spicy Curry and the Tern GSD S11 as options. Are there other other options out there?
Worth noting that it's the Spicy Curry All Terrain that gets the Bosch Cargo Speed motor, the regular SC gets the class 1 motor. R&M offers all of their cargo bikes in class 3 variety. The Load 60 and 75 are front loaders. The Multicharger is a rear load. Also the Benno Boost is available with the speed motor too.

Personally I just LOVE the Tern HSD S11. The new Bosch Sport motor uses the Active style of motor so the chainring spins with the cranks. Granted it's not quite as powerful as the Performance line of motor but it's way quieter. Tern does an amazing job with their accessories too, they integrate very well with their bikes. On the HSD my top add ons are the Cache box, Abus chain (to pair with the integrated cafe lock), Duostand, and Cargohold37's.

I made my Spicy from a Sweet. I got it before they moved their HQ from an employee, never ridden and with accessories. Now they are in So Cal and have shortages, delays, and last week they sent me the wrong rear wheel for a Boda Boda. What is cool is that used non-electric cargo bikes are very inexpensive. But with a motor added they become valuable and useful.

I made my Spicy from a Sweet. I got it before they moved their HQ from an employee, never ridden and with accessories. Now they are in So Cal and have shortages, delays, and last week they sent me the wrong rear wheel for a Boda Boda. What is cool is that used non-electric cargo bikes are very inexpensive. But with a motor added they become valuable and useful.
Not sure what news you've been reading but the entire global economy is experiencing those pains, nothing exclusive to Yuba in the slightest. Their e-cargo offerings are fantastic and blow any home made thing out of the water. Different price point, sure, but there's no arguing with the performance of the Bosch system in general, specifically in the cargo application.

I personally am attracted to recycling cycling. I also like the right to repair and not being boxed into a proprietary corner. I encourage people to shop around and test ride bikes. That way they know. Yuba's offerings are nice, even fantastic, no doubt, but they do not blow away the subtle and elegant bikes as far as performance. See any unsightly backyard connectors here? Yes, it is possible to take a $650 bike and make it out run expensive bikes while still having a smooth subtle feel. With Yuba recently it is more than the global supply chain. They keep dropping the ball. Ask someone in the industry.
1651957712215.jpeg

Attachments

• Boda02.JPG
    Boda02.JPG
    362.9 KB · Views: 215
I personally am attracted to recycling cycling. I also like the right to repair and not being boxed into a proprietary corner. I encourage people to shop around and test ride bikes. That way they know. Yuba's offerings are nice, even fantastic, no doubt, but they do not blow away the subtle and elegant bikes as far as performance. See any unsightly backyard connectors here? Yes, it is possible to take a $650 bike and make it out run expensive bikes while still having a smooth subtle feel. With Yuba recently it is more than the global supply chain. They keep dropping the ball. Ask someone in the industry.
View attachment 122630
I'm done engaging in the derailment of this thread as I answered the original question directly and was hopefully helpful. Ask someone in the industry? Been at it for 20 years and own a shop, how much more "in the industry" would you like?

Nice conversion, has nothing to do with OP's question though.

I bought a class 3 compact cargo ebike from Alibaba back in NOV 2022, delivered in late JAN 2023.
750w hub motor, 20 x 4.0 tires, 36Ah (22+14 Ah) dual battery, front & rear metal basket (not installed), free shipping from China to my driveway, under $1700.
TLZa6us.jpg

lh0GMpK.jpg

Last edited:
Back