Chain skip on fastroad ex pro

Dropped it off at the giant shop and they explained the cogs and chain were fine, the internal gear cable was damaged and derailleur was slight off. £28 for the cable and setup. Will see how it is on my commute tomorrow. Thanks for all the information on this, all very helpful
Nice that they were honest with you too - it would have been easy for them to just put new everything on and charge you.

Among all of the factors mentioned, all good, count the number of teeth engaged with the chain on the smallest cog. If it is four that are fully engaged than that is not good enough. Adjust to make it five.
This is why I adore internal gear hubs on mid-drives. I will drop the rear cog to 16-T and keep the ring at 42. Sheldon says 24.2MPH at 80RPM on a Nexus/Alfine 8. The HL1 Wide half-link chain kicks butt and lasts as long as a belt. Bigger chainrings than 42 overstress motor components. Do not be tempted. I have gone up to 58-T to find this out the hard way.
I like the thought of the Shimano Nexus and that Hl1 chain looks very interesting,. but after reading Marcparis' exploits across Europe and Asia , I would try the Nuvinci / Enviolo system first.

Last edited:
I like the thought of the Shimano Nexus and that Hl1 chain looks very interesting,. but after reading Marcparis' exploits across Europe and Asia , I would try the Nuvinci / Enviolo system first.
What about https://kindernay.com/?
They use these on the bathtub bike shown on their website that carries 200 liters of water up a hill so you can refresh yourself and wash off the sweat when you arrive.

Attachments

• BathtubBike.jpg
    BathtubBike.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 217
Among all of the factors mentioned, all good, count the number of teeth engaged with the chain on the smallest cog. If it is four that are fully engaged than that is not good enough. Adjust to make it five.
This is why I adore internal gear hubs on mid-drives. I will drop the rear cog to 16-T and keep the ring at 42. Sheldon says 24.2MPH at 80RPM on a Nexus/Alfine 8. The HL1 Wide half-link chain kicks butt and lasts as long as a belt. Bigger chainrings than 42 overstress motor components. Do not be tempted. I have gone up to 58-T to find this out the hard way.
How cool is that "chainring canvas'. The artistic expression is coming out full speed ahead. o_O

Nice that they were honest with you too - it would have been easy for them to just put new everything on and charge you.
I agree a big shout out to Giant Shop Newcastle 👏👏they could have said and charged me anything but identified the problem and fixed at minimal cost.

Successful commute this morning no issues and even cycled through the gears a lot more, just need to get in the habit now :)

Equaliser, what country do you live in? I checked the US and Canadian Giant sites and on those sites the Fast Road only comes with a single ring.

Equaliser, what country do you live in? I checked the US and Canadian Giant sites and on those sites the Fast Road only comes with a single ring.
He's in Australia, specifically in Brisbane. It says so on his Avatar. Thats the round Violet circle with the T. Yours is, of course similar but with a C.

Hmmm, it's interesting that your version gets two chainrings (which I'd prefer) but your top speed is limited to 25 km/hr.

Hmmm, it's interesting that your version gets two chainrings (which I'd prefer) but your top speed is limited to 25 km/hr.
I only use the smaller chainring if I am riding it without the battery or if it runs out of charge (once).

I must let my bike know that it is limited to 25km/h - I don't think it realises ;)

I only use the smaller chainring if I am riding it without the battery or if it runs out of charge (once).

I must let my bike know that it is limited to 25km/h - I don't think it realises ;)
What if you Jedi-mesmerized your bike and told your big Joey, when you snap your fingers, he has the legs of a Wallaby and has to keep up with the Mob? Can you re-set wheel diameter, as for when changing tyres? This could be set at 40% of actual. 25Kph on the display would then be 25Mph. 40% faster, just incase of emergencies such as not getting wacked by a Road Train!
That is the Petaluma River, Bay and San Francisco from Sonoma Mountain in the pic from yesterday's group ride.

Attachments

• Rides21A02.jpg.PNG
    Rides21A02.jpg.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 212
  • Rides21A03.jpg.PNG
    Rides21A03.jpg.PNG
    1 MB · Views: 212
I'm not sure I could cope with my bike going 40% faster. In all seriousness the power delivery of the PW-X2 motor is fabulous. Apart from the occasional "blast" I have never really run it at more than 100% assistance and it goes up to 360%!

I'm not sure I could cope with my bike going 40% faster. In all seriousness the power delivery of the PW-X2 motor is fabulous. Apart from the occasional "blast" I have never really run it at more than 100% assistance and it goes up to 360%!
Sounds good.
I am from California. No kangaroos around here. When writing you I learned that kangaroo farts smell like hydrogen. Fact check this. Who would know?
Photos from today. That is my electric town bike with its new half-link chain.

Attachments

• UnionJack08.JPG
    UnionJack08.JPG
    297.7 KB · Views: 204
  • UnionJack07.JPG
    UnionJack07.JPG
    639.1 KB · Views: 194
Back