CCS Chainstay Circumference

Iano

I'm looking to order a Lizard Skins chainstay protector before my bike gets here. Does anyone know the circumference of the chainstay in mm so I can order the correct size?

Thanks!

I will measure soon. BTW, if you are getting a red bike, the red, 3M electrical tape, in stock at your local Home Depot, is a quick and almost invisible prevention for paint chipping will occur without protection.

Attachments

• 3m-electrical-tape-10810-dl-2w-c3_1000.jpg
    3m-electrical-tape-10810-dl-2w-c3_1000.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 458
By the way, I have experienced many chain drops. The chain is on the long side so it can accomodate the optional larger 56T chainring. A few days ago I shortened my chain by a half dozen links (install a KMC master link!) No more chain drops since then.

For anyone wondering, while the chainstay was 78 mm there are cables that need to be accounted for, I measured 120-140 /w the cables and swapped the Lizard Lick small for a large. The large fits nicely.

Post a picture, I'd like to see what it all looks like. By the way, update on myshortening the chain has indeed stopped all the chain drops I used to get going over bumps and such. None in 200 or so miles, hooray! Shortening the chain evidently adds tension by pulling the derailleur hangar forward and also reducing the pendant inertia of the lower half of the chain, and so there is less back slack induced into the upper half of the chain (the chain would fall off the upper half of the chainring when it bounced slack up there). At any rate, the chainstay protector is certainly still needed to prevent paint chipping. I

This is the extreme number of links that I removed from my CCS of 52 teeth front, 11 rear. Not shown is the master link, which adds 1/2 inch. For starters, for anyone contemplating this shortening, please leave your chain one inch longer for your first try out, because there is a slight and harmless cogginess when turning the crank by hand, only on the lowest gear, if you remove the maximum number of links shown. But removing the maximum possible links guarantees least possible chain drops. There is a Park video pair that helped me a lot:

Attachments

• 20180204_054327.jpg
    20180204_054327.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 715
I misspeak a lot and today we cannot edit posts: My snapshot two posts above doesn't reflect two outer plates discarded long ago to make place for a 9 speed master link not shown. Also, anyone who would like a super looking, two-tone bright + frosted nickel plated KMC chain, this one is presently priced at $13.90 : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AYJF2E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and it comes with the reusable master link we all need. If you you get that chain (it is not quite as long as stock) you can cut off four links.

Here ya go. Luckily they design these to be wider on one end than the other so that works well for all the cables on the left side. I tried a few different positions and the cleanest is to do all the velcro work on the back side. Because of the irregularities along the chainstay it's definitely not pretty behind there but there's plenty of velco attachment so it's super secure. After a few rides I could already see marks on the top (they just wipe right off) where it would have chipped the paint.

I misspeak a lot and today we cannot edit posts: My snapshot two posts above doesn't reflect two outer plates discarded long ago to make place for a 9 speed master link not shown. Also, anyone who would like a super looking, two-tone bright + frosted nickel plated KMC chain, this one is presently priced at $13.90 : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AYJF2E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and it comes with the reusable master link we all need. If you you get that chain (it is not quite as long as stock) you can cut off four links.

Good video of a guy who just recently got a CCS and explains the chain issues etc. Stock chain is 120 link and he dropped it down to 114

Edit: Just looked at the specs of the CCS on the Juiced page and it says it's a 128 link chain.

Last edited:
Back