UPDATE 3/21/16: CANCELED DUE TO LACK OF INTEREST

Los Angeles-area Meetup at Formula E Long Beach e-Prix
Saturday, April 2nd, 2016 from noon to 2pm

Brew-Haus Coffee & Tea
250 W Ocean Boulevard
Long Beach, CA 90802

Hey all,

Last year I made a half-a**ed effort to organize an electric bike meetup at the Formula E race (Formula E is the all-electric open wheel car racing series, like an all-electric Formula 1) in Long Beach, and though I did end up running into a handful of ebike people there, but there was no formal time and place to meet. I'd like to change that this year and host a meet and greet wherewe could show off our bikes before we go and watch the race.

http://www.fiaformulae.com

Here are a few photos from last year. There were a few ebikes on display near the BMW i3 and Zero Motorcycles booths. Also, note the lightweight Formula 24 electric race car, piloted and built by a teenager and powered by two lead-acid car batteries!

IMG_4011.JPG IMG_4030.JPG IMG_4061.JPG IMG_4076.JPG IMG_4138.JPG IMG_4142.JPG IMG_4149.JPG

Last year, qualifying went from noon to 1pm, the Formula 24 race was at 2:15pm, pitlane was open from ~3pm-4pm, and then the main attraction, the Formula E race, was at 5pm.

Though I can't be sure of the schedule this year, if we assume it'll be similar, then an early afternoon meetup from, say, noon to 2pm would probably be a good fit because it'll allow those who want to go and see qualifying to still catch the tail end of the ebike meetup. Most spectators don't even watch qualifying, anyway.

Let's meet in front of Brew-Haus Coffee & Tea at 250 W Ocean Boulevard, Long Beach (Google Maps link). It's just a few blocks north of the racetrack and race village. Bring your electric bike or just bring yourself!

Regarding bicycle parking for while you're watching the race, Long Beach has a Bikestation secure indoor bike parking corral, however, you have to pay $12 for a monthly membership, as they do not appear to offer any single-day parking. Also, as far as I know, bicycles of any kind are NOT ALLOWED into the race village unless they're part of an official display. Also, last year, entrance to the Long Beach e-prix was free. This year, I believe it's $10. I don't think tickets are on sale yet.

I'm going to reach out to the LA/SD ebike dealers and see if any of them are planning to buy an exhibitor booth at the race. If so, that might mean that we can meet up inside the race village at the booth instead of at Brew-Haus. For the Formula E London E-Prix, they had a big electric bike partnership with London's biggest e-bike dealer, FullyCharged, which included an opportunity for ebike riders to ride on the racetrack. I haven't heard of any similar partnership with an LA or SD electric bike dealer, but I'd love to help make that happen so that ebikes can get some more exposure at the event, and people could do test-rides. Here are some shots of the London E-Prix ebikes:

london1.jpg london2.jpg

Please reply to this thread if you're coming or if you have any comments or suggestions.

Last edited:
Thats a way cool event, thanks sharing. On a sidenote I heard that twice a week the Moto GP track ( I think in Qatar) Losail International Circuit, turns its lights on so the public can ride their bicycles at night around the track. Don't know about ebikes. I wish the Formula 1 track in Austin Texas would do that at The Circuit of The Americas.

Last edited:
Back