Can I please get some help on WHY my back tire Keeps going flat? (Espin Sport) 4x times now past month

Johnu510

Im about to cry. I just went to put new grips on my sport and my back tire is flat AGAIN. Something is going on this is the 4th time this month. The first 2 times I changed the tube,,then a week later flat again and put the slime all through my tire which I thought was supposed to hold for a LONG TIME. Now its flat again 2 weeks later. Does anyone have any idea what might be going on? This is crazy at this point do I need a new tire or is something going on down there that I dont know about since Im not really bike savy. And FWIW I rode it home from work today and brought it inside my condo and it was FINE

Any help would be appreciated,..this sucks

you need to run your fingers around the inside of the tire and find what is puncturing the tube. also feel around the rim and see if anything is poking out.
But if this is the case why is good for a week or 2 then goes flat? wouldnt it go flat right away? I appreciate the help im gonna see but it just makes no sense how this happens on this type of schedule

I also had 2 bike shops look at it ..the one specifically said he did this

As fooferdoggie mentioned it could be something on the inside of your tire, or something in connection to the spokes is sticking up from the rim and puncturing the tube.
Take your tire off and check the inside of your tire very carefully for anything sharp stuck in the tire that could puncture the tube. Do the same with the surface of the wheel rim.

But if this is the case why is good for a week or 2 then goes flat? wouldnt it go flat right away? I appreciate the help im gonna see but it just makes no sense how this happens on this type of schedule

I also had 2 bike shops look at it ..the one specifically said he did this
no it could take time to work through the tube. but there is something wrong either the tire or the rim or the tubes. where are the holes that will tell you. have you filled a tube up and see where it leaks?

no it could take time to work through the tube. but there is something wrong either the tire or the rim or the tubes. where are the holes that will tell you. have you filled a tube up and see where it leaks?
it doesnt leak like that. Ill fill it up and it will be good for 2 weeks then one morning will be flat.
Ill take it off and look at the tire and the wheel. Maybe that spoke thing to could be sticking into it. Im honestly just about to get a whole new tire back there

Get and use some flat preventative. This is not some snake oil cure all, it WORKS. Do some investigateing regarding the idea, or just track down some stuff known as Slime. I use/recommend that product as everyone knows what it is, it's easy to find at numerous stores selling anything automotive, it's cheap, it's easy to install, and it WORKS. The tires on the Sport will need maybe 6 oz apiece (don't skimp!).

it doesnt leak like that. Ill fill it up and it will be good for 2 weeks then one morning will be flat.
Ill take it off and look at the tire and the wheel. Maybe that spoke thing to could be sticking into it. Im honestly just about to get a whole new tire back there
pump up the tube outside of the tire and find the leak if you cant hear or feel it put some water in a tub or such and submerge parts of the tube till you find the leak. it is it on the inside or the outside of the tube?

Get and use some flat preventative. This is not some snake oil cure all, it WORKS. Do some investigateing regarding the idea, or just track down some stuff known as Slime. I use/recommend that product as everyone knows what it is, it's easy to find at numerous stores selling anything automotive, it's cheap, it's easy to install, and it WORKS. The tires on the Sport will need maybe 6 oz apiece (don't skimp!).
it wont work if you cant remove what's causing the flat.

it wont work if you cant remove what's causing the flat.
If the bike shop inspected it already, and it's taking 2 weeks to go down, I think maybe it will....

If the tire stays pumped up for two weeks are you (Johnu510) riding the bike during that time? Also, during that two week period are you checking the tire pressure?
If you got 4 flats in 1 month it has to be 1 of these reasons:
1. You're riding on a road surface that has a lot of debris that could cause flats (probably not this, but you never know).
2. There is something that has gone through the tire. It's big enough to eventually puncture the tube, but small enough that it isn't easily noticeably. It's still in the tire.
3. There is something stuck on the inside of the tire (piece of debris etc) that eventually wears a hole in the tube. It's still in the tire.
4. There is something on the wheel rim surface that is sticking up and eventually wearing through the tube. It's still sticking up enough to eventually puncture the tube.
5. This is a stretch, but it also could be the tubes (low quality).

In 2, 3 & 4 changing the tube will not solve your problem.

Reactions: BET
Air doesn't magically escape. Check air pressure daily. Use lots of soapy water to check any escape. Do you have a Presta valve and is the lock nut screwed down after adding air? Just simple troubleshooting until you find the issue.

Im about to cry. I just went to put new grips on my sport and my back tire is flat AGAIN. Something is going on this is the 4th time this month. The first 2 times I changed the tube,,then a week later flat again and put the slime all through my tire which I thought was supposed to hold for a LONG TIME. Now its flat again 2 weeks later. Does anyone have any idea what might be going on? This is crazy at this point do I need a new tire or is something going on down there that I dont know about since Im not really bike savy. And FWIW I rode it home from work today and brought it inside my condo and it was FINE

Any help would be appreciated,..this sucks
1 initial issue I had was my bike had so much torque that the tire would slip on the rim & tear
the valve stem. Another was pressure was too low & sidewalls too flimsy, allowing the wheel
to bottom out on bumps & holes, This also resulted in broken spokes. The cure was better
tires with thicker sidewalls & higher pressure.

Last edited:
Reactions: BET
Have the bike shop install Tannus Armour inserts and you won't have to worry about flats.

1) When you remove the tube mark the tire at the valve on the right side and the tube's valve on its right side. 2) Remove the tube and pump it up. 3) See where the air is coming out. 4) Inspect that corresponding location of the tire or rim. If for example a piece of wire is in the tire and not removed, it will keep on popping tubes.

There could be an entirely different cause - pinch flats. Always partly inflate a tube before installing it. Use a bit of baby powder between the tire and the tube as dry lube to help prevent kinks or twists. Try installation without tools. I am good but I caused a pinch flat on a 28mm road bike thin tube this week. Those road bike tires can be very difficult. It happens to all of us. Pump it up to 5 BAR, 15 PSI, and then let out the air, squeezing all the way around to make sure there is not a kink, then re-pump.

Back