Can I add USB charging to my 700?

Joe Bolte

Recording my ride drains my phone battery quickly, and I'd pefer if I could charge while riding. I have a small external phone battery, but I'd have to add yet another thing to my handlebars.

Can I add USB charging to my 700 somehow? An aftermarket display with a USB port? Splicing a charger into the display's power cable? The front headlight power cable?

Neither display nor throttle has an accessible connector. How dumb would it be to patch a USB connector onto the throttle 5v positive and negative wires near where they enter the throttle unit?

I was looking at this very thing. This one exactly.

You can probably tap into the throttle wiring as it’s 5v also. Maybe the display wiring would be another option for the supply.

my daughters bike doesn't have a USB like mine and my wife's, we found it was just easier (and less likely to void the warranty) for her to use a power bank, stuffed into one of the frame holders. routed the iphone cable up to the phone mount. as long as she remembers to plug it in and charge it when she charges the bike it is a non issue. the power bank has lasted for an 8 hour ride day.

this is what I got:

power bank:

holder:

she doesn't put the phone into that bag, just the power bank. she has a handlebar mounted holder.

Last edited:
Back