Can an Electric Bike "Replace" A Car?

Rider opinion: yes. And it's my case. You just live in the wrong country or locale. America might have fabulous trails for mountain biking, but it doesn't seem that great when it comes to commuting. Distances are long, the heat is unbearable, winters are Siberian, there are 175 different legal interpretations of what an e-bike is, drivers act like jerks, and most cyclists have been brainwashed into believing that e-bikes are a threat rather than a mode of transportation. Oh, and I forgot the most important part: you might actually get mugged by a grizzli bear riding to work. Welcome to America, the land of the bold and the brave! Hope I didn't forget any stereotypes there. :D

But, all kidding aside, imagine a different reality. One where society doesn't see e-bikes as a threat, but as a necessity. And where the geography and weather is more favorable.

You don't need a car for heavy stuff... There's a super fine thing called a car pool for those 3 days a year when you need to do some heavy lifting. Just reserve your car online a couple of hours in advance and the trick is done. All you need is membership and a magnetic card.

Need to buy 12 bottles of water twice a month? Easy: just have them delivered....

Need to go to work in a 3 piece suit? Easy: sell your Rad Rover and buy a Stromer instead. You won't break a sweat in full assist mode.

Have kids? No problem. Put them on the bike too... I see tons of moms bringing their toddlers to school every day. Is it safe? Hell yes. The place is literally crawling with fire roads and farmer trails. A bike is practically the only thing allowed on them...

Need a dealer to fix your bike? No problem: get on it and ride until you find a shop. Google not needed. I've counted 19 shops in a 50 kilometer radius around me that sell and service e-bikes.

Need to go to the mall? No problem: ride in any direction and you'll find one in less than 10 minutes.

So in the end it's all about organization and wanting to change your habits and lifestyle. But you have to live in the right place... So I guess I'm just lucky.
so you never ride in cars?

I think it is possible. We do that to. If my wife and me didn't own SP's, we would own two cars. Now we can get along with one, we use for visiting family (100+ km) and work if we have appointments during the day (also 100+ km).
We commute normally with the SP. 2x26 km for my wife, and 2x16 km for me. Next year it will be 2x45 km for me.
We would struggle as a family if we wouldnt own a car at all, but it would be possible.

Most places in the United States are not safe for daily bike commuting. However, if you locate to an area where you can travel to your work and shopping on a protected path for most of the trip, and the weather isn't too extreme, you can definitely give a serious try.

Ebikes need minimal effort, so getting overheated or tired shouldn't be an issue.

For me it would be impossible since I was working 11 hours a day and commute in darkness most of the year.

... if you locate to an area where you can travel to your work and shopping on a protected path for most of the trip, and the weather isn't too extreme, you can definitely give {ebike} a serious try.
... and even under these conditions there will still be limitations of the time of the year. In most of the US and Canada, even if the weather isn't really extreme, the winter is either cold or rainy or both. Or if you live in Arizona, it's summer that can be a problem. And limitations of how fast you need to get there, and how far, and your health condition. And theft: any bike is (normally) easier to steal than a car, and in some places you can't even lock it to anything.

Yes, it can "replace" a car... sometimes, for some people, in some situations. It's like asking whether a felt marker can replace a pen, or vice versa.

Last edited:
Can an Ebike provide transportation that most Americans use cars for?

Depending on your circumstances - yes.

No way for me (ebike can't replace a car). But my bikes are certainly reducing my car usage and will play a big factor in my next car purchase decision. My Ford hybrid is aging and I noticed some bubbling paint and rust the other day. Since our Subaru is our primary vehicle (wife's commute to work and grocery getter) the Ford tends to sit unused on the weekends. And now that I'm commuting at least twice per week by ebike, the Ford has been sitting even more. And due to downtown traffic hassles, I'm thinking about becoming a bus rider again on days when I can't ride the bike to work. So when it comes time to replace that car, I'm thinking something much less expensive like a used compact sedan (maybe Subaru Impreza or the like) will be the replacement vehicle. I definitely won't buy a new car and pay all that new car depreciation (and increased insurance) given my current usage which is probably less than 7k miles per year (at my current rate in 2017, the ebike will be accumulating about 2k miles per year that formerly would have been car miles).

Can a spoon replace a fork? Yes, if you eat oatmeal for breakfast and soup for dinner everyday.
Can a hammer replace a screwdriver? Yes, if you only see nails everyday.

I have three vehicles with about 380,000 miles between them in the last 11 years (11 yr old sedan, 9 yr old SUV, and 6 yr old SUV). I couldn't put that kind of mileage on an ebike in 100 years. An ebike is the right tool for a particular job to support your lifestyle. I park my car and work commute 3-4 times a week because it is the right tool for that particular job. I like the option of using a different tool and drive when we have bad/extreme weather, errands, too tired, or appointments before/after work.

Can a hammer replace a screwdriver?
It should be asked - Can a hammer replace a set of tools (or a multi-tool) :)

As a transportation tool, ebike has more limitations than a car - in most places.
There exist no-car zones in some cities, or high taxes charged in a toll booth at the city gate. This makes a car "less" practical in these particular places. Doesn't necessarily mean that ebike would be the best tool there, as these places are typically either a small area that can be walked, or a city transit there is well developed.

I am sorry, but here it is also cold in winter, and rainy all year. And i commute in dark 4-5 months a year. Good lights help. I onlu don't go by bike if there is ice on the road or more then 10 cm snow. Then I work at home, I dont like to ride a car in that weather either.
34 km a day can be done all year, at least I can and do. Next year ikt will be 90 km a day that will be more challenging, and I think in bad weather I will take the train (but then I must bike to the station 14 km first...)

I sold my car last year and have been living with my primary mode of transportation being my IZip Protour. I love it and dont think I will be going back to a car. Between car payment, insurance, maintenance, and gas, I was easily paying $650+ a month for a fully loaded Ford Edge SUV that I bought 3 years before brand new. Now, that $650 per month goes right into my bank account. And during bad weather (rain/snow/ice) I take an Uber. Way cheaper than paying for the SUV. Also, my work is 5 miles each way. My family and friends are mostly within 10 miles. I do grocery shopping and have rode to the mall on the protour. All that, and I live in New Jersey just outside of Philadelphia. Yes, it can get hot during the summer. I have a fan and baby wipes at my desk. Sure the winter is cold, but I but some good layering clothes this winter and was fine. In the past year, I have put just over 800 miles on my protour and no issues what so ever!!!

800 miles, thats 1250 km or so? My communting distance is 16-17 km each way, but one day a week almoast 4 miles, I do that walking.... yes, I know, iI am a bit crazy.
With the bike I ride 8000 - 10.000 km a year. But still we also need a car, family is to far away.

Most places in the United States are not safe for daily bike commuting. However, if you locate to an area where you can travel to your work and shopping on a protected path for most of the trip, and the weather isn't too extreme, you can definitely give a serious try.
I saw just a handfull of cities in the US, but I have the same opinion.

Yes, it can "replace" a car... sometimes, for some people, in some situations.
Best answer!

Since 2 weeks we have 2 ebikes with child seats and kids trailer. We are using the car only for heavy stuff transportation or long distance drives. In the city we prefer the bikes because of traffic and parking advantages.

I'm lucky, I have the possibility to commute by bike. this year will be the first time with spikes.

In my opinion yes!

And keep in mind that this is going to save you a lot of money as well!

The bike I am thinking of buying can travel up to 50km a speed up to 35km/h

it is more like a little scooter because you don't have the pedals.

Just have a look at it. you can even take it on the train the weight is about 12 kg and it is foldable as well:
|
http://www.fwheel.cc/product/dyu-smart-bike-d1/

(Link Removed - Attachment No Longer Exists) (Link Removed - Attachment No Longer Exists)
... and even under these conditions there will still be limitations of the time of the year. In most of the US and Canada, even if the weather isn't really extreme, the winter is either cold or rainy or both. Or if you live in Arizona, it's summer that can be a problem. And limitations of how fast you need to get there, and how far, and your health condition. And theft: any bike is (normally) easier to steal than a car, and in some places you can't even lock it to anything.

Yes, it can "replace" a car... sometimes, for some people, in some situations. It's like asking whether a felt marker can replace a pen, or vice versa.

I live in Phoenix Az and commute every day summer or winter with the exce
20160330_165146.jpg
ptions of days when the temp gets over 112 degrees and days when it rains. Trips to the grocery store are handled with a cargo trailer. Trips farther than 15 miles I use my pickup truck. One day if I ever have enough money to retire, I want to start touring and see the country by bike. I hope the bad drivers and the grizzly bears don't get me.

Rob... here on the North West there is rarely more than 100F, but it rains 30% of time. Right now with wildfires the air quality index is rated "poor", being outdoors for long is not recommended, especially when exercising, it's been like this for a week and going to be for at least another week.

On a perfect day, if you don't have to take freeways and busy streets - yes, you can.

Seeing the country by bike is a utopia. At the very least this requires an experience in wilderness camping, because of those (many times mentioned) limitations of a bike, the distances will be longer than what you can cover in a day. And you will still have to take freeways sometimes.

By bike and train/bus/car - probably so.

Back