C380+ vs Medeo T10+ vs Allant+ 9.9s+ vs ?

abird4

Region
USA
Hello everyone,

I have researched and ridden the above bikes and am looking for input from the forum before I pull the trigger. Sorry in advance for the long post!

I am 6'0", 210lbs, 30in inseam. I enjoy mountain biking on intermediate trails, and I live near the Blue Ridge Parkway. I generally don't like riding in traffic. The Parkway isn't bad traffic-wise, but the climbs are tough. Hence my decision to look for an e bike. I have the idea that I might like to do a multi-day tour someday. I am focusing on bikes that have dual battery capacity but have not entirely ruled out the idea of carrying an extra battery when needed. That would open up the possibility of the Vado 5, which I have not had a chance to ride yet.

Looking at bikes from two LBS with good reputations. I rode an Allant+ 9.9s and a Domane ALR at the Trek shop and decided a road bike is not for me. I like the Allant+ 9.9s (in large) a lot, riding position was comfortable, smartphone interface was a plus. Price ($6300 plus whatever it costs to add the second battery--I think at least another $1000?) was the highest of the group by a fair margin. Having owned a number of motorcycles all of which I bought for less money, these prices seem a little rough, but it is what it is.

The Specialized/Gazelle shop had a Vado in medium which I did not ride because focused on dual battery and thought I needed a large. I rode a C380+ and Ultimate T10+ in medium. Riding position was upright, compact, which led me to think a large would be more appropriate. I liked the belt drive of the C380+, and I have researched it enough that I think I am comfortable with the trade-offs. They went ahead and ordered a high step in large even though I had not fully commited. It would need to be the high step to accommodate the dual battery.

I then went to another bike shop 90min away and rode an Ultimate T10+ in large. Riding position was still quite upright, but comfortable. The deal breaker was the standover height--uncomfortably high. I then rode the Ultimate T10+ in medium again. The riding position was quite similar to the large, actually, and I liked that it felt more nimble. Stems on the M and the L were both adjusted to the most level, neutral position away from the rider. Even though the upright position felt great in the parking lot, I have concerns that it would feel less great on a long climb, although maybe leaning my body forward could make up for this. I believe they could adjust down 10 degrees which might help. The C380+ actually comes with a 100mm stem instead of the 80mm stem of the Ultimate, which would help. And of course I could always swap out for a longer stem.

I rode one more bike, the Medeo T10+ in large. I didn't quite gel with it as much. It had a less upright position, with longer reach, even with with the stem adjusted almost all the way up. I found it less comfortable, at least in the parking lot. I found it less zippy and nimble which may be partly related to tires.

My priorities are 1) bike that fits and 2) range. Belt drive and price are considerations but not deciding factors.

When I rode the Ultimates in M and L and the Medeo in L in quick succession, the bike that put the biggest smile on my face was the Ultimate T10+ in medium. I actually rode it with the power off, before I realized it, and thought it felt great. Which makes me lean toward the c380+ in medium. I need to feel solid about the fit, and will talk to the LBS about that. And, it does not hurt to get input from folks who are not trying to sell me a bike!

any of the big brands a battery will be about 700.00 my guy at trek is ordering all the parts for the second battery without the battery as I have several. its about 300 or so.

While a dual battery is nice for touring carrying spare in pannier or trailer isn't big deal and lot cheaper. By going to single battery you have considerably more choice and lower entry price.

While a dual battery is nice for touring carrying spare in pannier or trailer isn't big deal and lot cheaper. By going to single battery you have considerably more choice and lower entry price.
but that puts the weight in back. its nicer to have it on the frame. Plus its safer. I have had both.

Thanks for the input guys. I stopped by the Trek LBS again and the Allant 9.9s feels good, as I remembered. Just not $2700 better than the Medeo T10+ in large. They weren't able to give me a precise quote on adding the battery today other than to say about $800 in parts and "a lot" of labor. The Specialized/Gazelle LBS only had the Medeo in S. I rode the C380+ in M with the stem in the -10 degree position. Again the upright position feels good in the parking lot but I am not sure how it would be on a long climb on the Parkway. I also was a little less enamored with the drivetrain. There is a slight "thunk" as I engaged from a stop which the sales person said was normal, and I kind of miss the precise snick snick you get with chain drive. But the relative bulletproof nature of belt drive is a plus. If I had to pull the trigger right now I would say Medeo T10+ in L. Ideally I would try out a M, but that would take some doing--and given my height the L is likely to be a better fit. I also see a Vado 5.0 in the classifieds, and I reached out to the seller, but unless he is within driving distance it would be a leap of faith to buy a bike sight unseen. I see dual battery as a plus but not a must-have. Any further thoughts are much appreciated!

it is around 1000.00 with the battery. the battery is 765.00 the rest is the hardware. I will know how much maybe next week trek only had the full unit as a order item but I already have batteries. but you only need one key.

Got it, thanks! It just occurred to me that the Allant+ 8S may tick all of the boxes at a more reasonable price point--$1900 less than the 9.9s. The closest one in stock is 4hrs away but I could probably order one. Any thoughts on the pros and cons of Medeo T10+ vs Allant+ 8S?

Got it, thanks! It just occurred to me that the Allant+ 8S may tick all of the boxes at a more reasonable price point--$1900 less than the 9.9s. The closest one in stock is 4hrs away but I could probably order one. Any thoughts on the pros and cons of Medeo T10+ vs Allant+ 8S?
I just bought the 8. with the fatter tires its a smooth ride then my bulls with 1.5" tires and a suspension fork and suspension seat post. you can climb 20% grades with it too. ok you have the performance speed motor on the 8 with 85nm of torque. 10 speeds though I just changed the cassette as it was 11-42 better overall components deore components the bigger battery too

Looks like the Medeo T10+ is geared even higher with 52 tooth chainring. What did you change the cassette to?

I bought an Ultimate t10+ last fall. Although I don't have a lot of miles on it, after adjusting it to me it is extremely comfortable.
I think the Dutch bikes run a little big. I'm 5'10" and have the medium midstep. I have the kinect seat post and had to put it all the way down and it just barely fit.

The fit and finish on the bike is outstanding. I routinely get 40 miles on a charge and I'm a big guy. The bike rolls so well.
I have no regrets buying the bike, except maybe wish I had gone belt drive but no big deal to me.

FYI, on the chain drive I do not get any klunk starting out.

Looks like the Medeo T10+ is geared even higher with 52 tooth chainring. What did you change the cassette to?
that would be useless. I put a 11-32 on it same as my other bike. my first bike cam with a 50t and I took it down to 46 then it climbed great. I had no need peddle at 37mph. wanted a 11-34 but they are hard to find.

that would be useless. I put a 11-32 on it same as my other bike. my first bike cam with a 50t and I took it down to 46 then it climbed great. I had no need peddle at 37mph. wanted a 11-34 but they are hard to find.
Hmm, so you took it from 11-42 cassette to 11-32? I am primarily concerned about whether I will have a low enough gears for steep, long climbs. Medeo T10+ has 52 / 11-42. Ultimate T10+ has 48 / 11-36. Trek 8S has 46 / 11-42. By comparison my Yeti sb4.5 has 30 / 11-46 and you bet that granny gear gets plenty of use. Of course no motor. I am 55yo and not all that fit. Any input about ballpark gearing for my intended use?

I bought an Ultimate t10+ last fall. Although I don't have a lot of miles on it, after adjusting it to me it is extremely comfortable.
I think the Dutch bikes run a little big. I'm 5'10" and have the medium midstep. I have the kinect seat post and had to put it all the way down and it just barely fit.

The fit and finish on the bike is outstanding. I routinely get 40 miles on a charge and I'm a big guy. The bike rolls so well.
I have no regrets buying the bike, except maybe wish I had gone belt drive but no big deal to me.

FYI, on the chain drive I do not get any klunk starting out.
That is helpful, thanks. Yeah, I am now leaning toward chain again...from what I can gather it looks a whole lot easier to tinker with the gear ratios if that was ever needed. The klunk was subtle but a little irritating.

Hmm, so you took it from 11-42 cassette to 11-32? I am primarily concerned about whether I will have a low enough gears for steep, long climbs. Medeo T10+ has 52 / 11-42. Ultimate T10+ has 48 / 11-36. Trek 8S has 46 / 11-42. By comparison my Yeti sb4.5 has 30 / 11-46 and you bet that granny gear gets plenty of use. Of course no motor. I am 55yo and not all that fit. Any input about ballpark gearing for my intended use?
it would help yes but the spacing sucks so for most of my commute the gearing spacing sucks. on our bosch powered tandem we have the 11-32 and can climb all day. but I would like a lower gear to spin up hills more but this bike its not really needed. I have climbed these hills on my other bosch bike with only 63nm. I can climb 15% grades for a mile or more. it only takes about 250 to 300 watts. but with the larger cassette you can use maybe tour instead of sport or turbo.

Attachments

• IMG_1242.jpeg
    IMG_1242.jpeg
    529.7 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_4014.jpeg
    IMG_4014.jpeg
    551.1 KB · Views: 212
it would help yes but the spacing sucks so for most of my commute the gearing spacing sucks. on our bosch powered tandem we have the 11-32 and can climb all day. but I would like a lower gear to spin up hills more but this bike its not really needed. I have climbed these hills on my other bosch bike with only 63nm. I can climb 15% grades for a mile or more. it only takes about 250 to 300 watts. but with the larger cassette you can use maybe tour instead of sport or turbo.
That is a steep hill! What size chainring are you running with the 11-32 cassette?

If you ride alot you will find that you wear through cassettes , chains , and front rings with greater frequency. That is to say you can try varying the gearing combos every time you replace them until you dial the bike in just the way you like it. The gearing that comes with the bike can be swapped out just as you will likely change pedals , grips and saddles. With that in mind I would focus on the things that you cannot change first.

Last edited:
Why are you keeping your options to those.

Check out Cannondale tessoro Neo. It is just as good if not better than the offerings you listed but also REI sells it which is a big plus when something goes wrong.

https://www.rei.com/product/184507/cannondale-tesoro-neo-x-2-electric-bike

In person the bike looked and felt very nice. It also has 11 speed deore derailleur which has a good range(11-51) and the replacement parts are reasonable priced.

You can always play with the geometry by changing the handlebar as long as the bike size is right. With an inseam of 30" I think you are looking at medium.

Why are you keeping your options to those.

Check out Cannondale tessoro Neo. It is just as good if not better than the offerings you listed but also REI sells it which is a big plus when something goes wrong.

https://www.rei.com/product/184507/cannondale-tesoro-neo-x-2-electric-bike

In person the bike looked and felt very nice. It also has 11 speed deore derailleur which has a good range(11-51) and the replacement parts are reasonable priced.

You can always play with the geometry by changing the handlebar as long as the bike size is right. With an inseam of 30" I think you are looking at medium.

I had considered that Cannondale--and now I see that there is one 1.5 hrs from me in M--I had assumed before that I would take a L. Just may check it out, thanks.

Back