Buying my 1st eBike for short commute.

klef25

Hi. I'm new to eBikes and really have no experience with them. It's been years since I've riding a bike on a regular basis and want to get back to it mostly for my health. I have a very short commute (3.5 miles each way), but it starts with a 420 foot climb for the 1st mile. I don't have shower access at my work, so I want to be able to get to work without working up a sweat. I thought an eBike would solve this for me. I think I've settled on a Trek CrossRip+, but I can probably be convince to change to something else as I think the looks of this bike are a majority of the reason that I like it. Price is not really a problem. I am 5'11" and weigh about 230# (hopefully, this will help me work my way back under 200#). I play to be carrying a 17" laptop and papers with me to and from work (probably limited to about 20#). I have limited free time, so I'm really wanting something that is very reliable and low maintenance. Any help is appreciated. If it helps, I am in an Illinois suburb of St. Louis. I'm planning on going to a bike shop in Edwardsville IL tomorrow as they are supposed to have Trek eBikes to try one out. I'll likely be purchasing within the next month, but if there are new better models coming out soon, I'd be willing to wait a few months.

Great choice! Especially if you want drop bars. Trek has gone all in on their ebike line and most people have access to a dealer. Even in rural America we have Trek. I haven't seen the Cross bike yet, but their other offerings are really nice.

There aren't too many drop bar ebikes on the market. BH offers a bike that might also work for you. BH is headquartered in St. Louis, they moved there from CA last summer. I'm not sure where you can see one though.

Great choice! Especially if you want drop bars. Trek has gone all in on their ebike line and most people have access to a dealer. Even in rural America we have Trek. I haven't seen the Cross bike yet, but their other offerings are really nice.

There aren't too many drop bar ebikes on the market. BH offers a bike that might also work for you. BH is headquartered in St. Louis, they moved there from CA last summer. I'm not sure where you can see one though.

Thanks for the response. I'm trying to find a place that I can test ride the bike before I ride. There's a relatively close place that I can test ride the Giant and the Trek bikes, but I can't seem to find anyplace to test ride BH bikes. When I look at the BH site, the only locate I find in St. Louis just seems to do repairs and not sales. I don't see that they have a store at the St. Louis Headquarters. They list 4 dealers in Chicago, but none of those dealer list the eGRAVEL drop bar bike on their sites as something that they stock. I will be going to Chicago next weekend, so I may call these shops before hand to see if they might have something that they're not listing on their websites. Let me know if you know anything more about the BH option.

Back