Buttons on Creo Expert EVO

davidceder

Region
USA
City
Payson, Arizona
Took a look at the above bike at a shop today. very nice bike. It was a 2021 but the shop did not install the buttons as of yet but let me know they had them.

So, I have this question: Before the buttons if you held the "Mode" switch for 2 seconds the mode lights would go out, the bike enters "Non Assist Mode", and the battery level indicator stays illuminated. When you push the mode button again it always comes up in "Eco" no matter what mode it was put to sleep in. That makes sense to me, but how do the buttons work in conjunction with the mode switch. I expect the mode switch works as it always did with the buttons installed, but can you use the buttons to go into and out of "Non Assist" mode and when you use the buttons to come out what mode are you in? Does this make any sense? I think the buttons are a great addition.

Thanks for any assistance

Took a look at the above bike at a shop today. very nice bike. It was a 2021 but the shop did not install the buttons as of yet but let me know they had them.

So, I have this question: Before the buttons if you held the "Mode" switch for 2 seconds the mode lights would go out, the bike enters "Non Assist Mode", and the battery level indicator stays illuminated. When you push the mode button again it always comes up in "Eco" no matter what mode it was put to sleep in. That makes sense to me, but how do the buttons work in conjunction with the mode switch. I expect the mode switch works as it always did with the buttons installed, but can you use the buttons to go into and out of "Non Assist" mode and when you use the buttons to come out what mode are you in? Does this make any sense? I think the buttons are a great addition.

Thanks for any assistance
You can still use the model switch independently - although I never use it now other than to turn it on.

The way my buttons work is

0 non-assist:
1 eco
2 sport
3 turbo

you can go up and down anywhere on the following chain

0 - 1 - 2 - 3 - 2 - 1 - 0

So you can only get to non-assist from eco and from non-assist you can only go to eco

You can't go straight to non-assist to turbo

If you put non-assist in using mode switch you can only come out to eco when you push the button you have to go up in power assist. The down power assist is non-functional - which makes sense.

Although its kind of ironic that when you power the bike on it defaults to sport

Well written reply, thanks much. I also thought it was strange to power on in Sport. I guess the engineers had to pick one of the modes and Turbo is too extreme for a power, on so they choose Sport maybe thinking that many would not turn on until they need some assist and Eco is kind of passive at factory settings. I have a friend who did not know about "non assist" mode and would power the bike on and off depending on when he wanted assist. He also wants the bike to power on in Eco. First I think it should an App programable feature. That should be easy for Specialized to do. I thought a work around would be to swap the mode parameters between Eco & Sport using the App. If you did that the bike would power up with the Eco settings even though two lights were on. Who really cares about the lights? So if you did that and forgot about mode names and focused on assist levels that would work. I guess the brain like things in order. one light, two lights, three lights. Easy, Easier and really Easy. 🤪 Of course all this goes out the window because with "non assist mode" it does indeed wake up in Eco which in the above scenario would be the Sport parameters. I have informed my friend that I think the correct way to ride the bike is too turn it on when you start the ride and put it in "non assist" (can't use but a trickle of power in that mode). When you come out of "non assist" you should instantly get some assist without waiting for power. I am new to researching this bike so I might have missed something here that others can fill me in one

Ok, I think I have confused myself. Again thanks for the reply

I have a Creo CC EVO (buttons added) and a Vado SL. The Vado SL boots up in Sport mode too and I kind of like it. Even though I ride both of them mostly in Eco mode, starting up in Sport gets me up to a desired speed then I drop the assist down....Your preferences may vary.

So my bike is being set up (Expert EVO). I ask the tech to test the buttons because I wanted to know if I use the mode switch to put it into Non Assist and use a button to wake it up I wanted to see if the buttons woke it in a mode other than ECO. He said the right button woke it in Eco. The left button did nothing. Is that how yours work? I would think pushing either button should wake it up.

Thanks

I think that I understand your question. Once the assist is off, the only way to get assist again is by pressing the up (on my bike right) button. Pressing the down (left) button when assist is off does nothing.

Last edited:
Same here.

Only the one button because it's the button that you use to increase power. The other button is decrease power so by definition it does nothing as you cant go below no power.

Same here.

Only the one button because it's the button that you use to increase power. The other button is decrease power so by definition it does nothing as you cant go below no power.
The +/- buttons on my Vado SL work the same way.

Thanks everyone for clearing this up. Wifes EVO should be all done today. We ordered two larges as I am on the cusp of Med/Large. I will be fitted on her large and if ok mine should be done tomorrow or Friday. If it is too big it needs to be exchange for a Med.

Thanks everyone for clearing this up. Wifes EVO should be all done today. We ordered two larges as I am on the cusp of Med/Large. I will be fitted on her large and if ok mine should be done tomorrow or Friday. If it is too big it needs to be exchange for a Med.
I placed my buttons tilted outward near the bottom of the brake lever...but I am tempted to relocate as shown in this photo since I am on the tops most of the time:

I placed my buttons tilted outward near the bottom of the brake lever...but I am tempted to relocate as shown in this photo since I am on the tops most of the time:

I'm confused. Which of the four buttons in the photo are the two for the assist level?

I'm leaning toward placement on the tops as well but the buttons look larger and more obtrusive in the photo than I expected them to be! My thinking is that I will usually go to the tops when I'm ascending a hill so the bar tops position seems the most efficient.

I'm confused. Which of the four buttons in the photo are the two for the assist level?

I'm leaning toward placement on the tops as well but the buttons look larger and more obtrusive in the photo than I expected them to be! My thinking is that I will usually go to the tops when I'm ascending a hill so the bar tops position seems the most efficient.
that's a smart question. i think the big ones are remotes for Shimano Di2 shifting...but why would there be two when there is no front derailleur? My point was the smaller button on the back of the bars and those appear to be the Creo remotes. Regardless think a bit before you or your dealer tapes those bars.

Regardless think a bit before you or your dealer tapes those bars.
Yup, I made a quick visit to my LBS to try out the location of the buttons that worked best for me before they finished building up my Creo. I also had the mechanic tweak the location of the brake horns. There’s no universal answer.

Those larger ones on top look like the remotes for the SRAM wireless e-TAP system.
sram-red-etap-blipclamps-remote-shift-button-mounting-1.jpg

Back