Budnitz Ebike

So, whatcha think of a hub that contains the battery? Would it tend to heat up too much?

I didnt see the specs..it is the lightest, but what does it weigh? Can go up to 100 miles, but how big is the battery? How is it recharged? Where is Court's review???? Lol.

Like the looks of the bike, very pretty.

So, whatcha think of a hub that contains the battery? Would it tend to heat up too much?

I didnt see the specs..it is the lightest, but what does it weigh? Can go up to 100 miles, but how big is the battery? How is it recharged? Where is Court's review???? Lol.

Like the looks of the bike, very pretty.
The Zehus hub motor is 250 watts, 30 volt and contains a 160 watt hour battery. No way will it ever take a rider 100 miles, unless it isn't turned on for the first 85 miles. Court posted the following about the Zehus all-in-one hub motor. It is a pretty bike though!

https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/zehus-bike-electric-bike-wheel.208/

"No way will it ever take a rider 100 miles, unless it isn't turned on for the first 85 miles"

Belly laugh time...Thanks!

The proposed technology of the Zehus is interesting to say the least. I'm hopeful, but skeptical, as news of it, like the Copenhagen Wheel has been floating around for years.

Actually I did look at Court's review, and it doesnt seem as gimmicky as I thought at first. Be interesting if people actually get the zehus and tell about it.

I would consider something like this if I lived on the flat, but no question in my mind it couldnt handle mountains.

Attractive bike. For my regular bike, I considered Budnitz before I settled on and bought my Spot. Too bad titanium is so expensive as it seems a great way to offset the extra weight of an ebike. I'm curious though: if this hub is ready for real world application, how come there seem to be no videos available since the 2014 introductions? Makes me pretty skeptical. If there was more recent information out there, maybe I'd give it some consideration (more likely in the steel frame though).

The proposed technology of the Zehus is interesting to say the least. I'm hopeful, but skeptical, as news of it, like the Copenhagen Wheel has been floating around for years.

+1 - Most have figured out that having the all in the wheel design doesnt work because the heat of the motor affects the controller too much. (thermal cutoffs)
5 years ago I was hot for the Copenhagen wheel or the other one that's been in development for like 10 years..........

Curiosity got the better of me so I called the company today. Bikes will start shipping late November. It has some attractive qualities to me given my intended use: 15 mile 1 way commute to work on mostly flat terrain; to be parked in downtown Detroit so the less it looks like an e-bike the better; usually not excessively hot climate here; the lighter the better given I have to haul it up/down stairs. The attractive qualities are: Cromoly steel frame (titanium too expensive) with belt drive just like my Spot Brand; does not look like an e-bike; cromoly steel weight approx. 31 pounds prior to adding any fenders/racks (titanium version 29 lbs); company told me it can be converted back to a regular bike by switching out the hub - figure this is important in case Zehus folds; its mostly a bike and less so an e-bike - I'm still in good enough shape to not need the motor to do most of the work.

I figure for a 15 mile commute on flats, I could stand a little longer commute time as a trade-off for the other benefits mentioned (light weight etc). But alas, there just isn't much documentation of a track record for this Zehus hub. Their website lists several European companies using it but I can't really find any recent reviews. Budnitz is taking a big chance here and could end with egg on their face (not to mention financial impacts) if this hub fails and isn't well supported. You would think they would be doing whatever they could to get good press issued prior to their launch (asking for reviewers like Court to come in etc). Another major drawback: you can only test it out by travelling to Vermont.

Wow, that's incredibly good looking. Unfortunately that's about it.
I take it the minimalist approach (ie more bike than e-bike) doesn't appeal? I can certainly appreciate it for its apparent simplicity (for someone who doesn't need/want all the extra weight and power).

I've sent a mail to Budnitz company about the batteries : it appears that the KERS system improve the batterie's life between 2 charges.
But you'll have to plug the bike from time to time.
The bike is obviously overpriced. I wonder what would happen if I buy a Budnitz frame and build the bike myself, buying components directly. The hub, the wheels, the brakes, the handlebar, the brakes levels, the saddle, what else ?
It could be interesting to investigate.

I don't think Zehus brand has proven their KERS even works yet. They don't have any track record for it to be included in such an expensive bike. In addition Superpedestrian-Copenhagen Wheel filed a patent infringement law suit against Zehus earlier this year. I'd worry spending any money on this build.

I don't think Zehus brand has proven their KERS even works yet. They don't have any track record for it to be included in such an expensive bike. In addition Superpedestrian-Copenhagen Wheel filed a patent infringement law suit against Zehus earlier this year. I'd worry spending any money on this build.
Where did you get the info about the law suit against Zehus ? I'm interested to know more.

The performance of this Zehus motor must certainly be atrocious considering the extra rotating mass of the battery and the poor heat dissipation that comes by design. Nice frame and frame design, though. This bike reminds me a lot of the GoCycle: pretty to look at, but offering just about zero utility and very poor range.

I wouldn't touch this bike with a ten-foot pole!

Beautiful bike. Love the Gates Carbon belt drive. But I too question the location of the battery.
Hi,
The batteries are in the hub. I think that's the green belt on the picture below.
Motor.jpg

Back