Brose motor failure

Pkamen

Brose motor failure after 6 months of riding. Pulled motor apart and found bottom bracket bearing seizure due to corrosion. Possibly caused by crossing a small creek several weeks before failure. Any other mtb riders have similar issues with water entering the bottom bracket?

Brose motor failure after 6 months of riding. Pulled motor apart and found bottom bracket bearing seizure due to corrosion. Possibly caused by crossing a small creek several weeks before failure. Any other mtb riders have similar issues with water entering the bottom bracket?
I am new to ebikes. Will this be covered under warranty? Also, are we suppose too avoid washing an ebike with a water hose?

That's worrisome! I've ridden through several streams on my Bulls E-Stream FS3+ in its ~500 trail miles with no issues so far, approaching 1 year owning it. That's supposedly a sealed bearing, no?
I am new to ebikes. Will this be covered under warranty? Also, are we suppose too avoid washing an ebike with a water hose?
I rinse carefully and use minimal pressure, especially around the BB and other sensitive areas.

To me, total submersion is out no matter what the company says, I'm just not going to do it. Getting the motor wet is something else. I agree with no water pressure around the motor, battery, and display for clean up. You'd have to ask the manufacturer about the warranty.

My opinion is just a wild guess with no specific knowledge. Pkamen wrote that the bottom bracket bearing was seized due to corrosion, possibly
the result of crossing of a creek several weeks earlier.....

I question if enough corrosion could appear in 'several weeks' to seize the bearing. I'm not saying the failure didn't happen as described. I guess if the
bearing was dry, no grease prior to getting wet, rusted and further pedaling after the creek visit could cause the rusty bearing to tear up the
bearing cup/race and seize that's a possibility, but if the bearing was lubricated prior to getting wet, I'm reluctant to think
the one time dip in the creek was the deal breaker for the bottom bracket to seize, but it's just a guess. This is an odd one.

This subject brings up a excellent point. Normal road riding in the rain or wet surface. I'm guessing the bottom bracket bearing will take a pretty
good bath from all of the front feel splash. I'm going to my LBS tomorrow where I bought my Trek and I'll ask the Shop guys and report
back.

John from CT

As promised I visited my LBS today, explaining the bottom bracket seizure / creek crossing issue asking for his opinion. As luck
would have it the Shop Tech is also a serious mountain biker. In a nutshell, yes the creek crossing very well could have been the
cause of the seizure...he's experienced similar failures.

One scenario, the creek water forces most if not all of the grease from the bearing, depending on the speed the bike was ridden
through the water, the bearings and or the cup rust 'corrosion' (?) Thus the seizure. I'd be interested what Pkmen specifically found
when the bottom bracket was opened up and how does he describe seizure ? To not be able to rotate the crank
is pretty severe and would most likely indicate the bearing was physically damaged.

The Tech did indicate power washing is not good as we suspected even though you'll see the pros do it, but as he said
the pros replace their bottom bracket bearings 'weekly'

John from CT

Most manufacturers will refer to their systems as "splash proof" and never have I heard of any system being "water proof". I have also seen motors submerged for testing purposes, though submerging the motor or any of the electronics of a system is not recommended.

Washing a bike using running water from a hose should not cause any problems in most cases. Pressure washing on the other hand should never be done, as it can break protective seals and cause water to leak into sensitive areas.

I have pulled the motor apart and have found rust in the lower section of the Brose motor. It appears to be an area where water will collect and it will not drain as it could from a normal BB. Water can enter the motor from the BB easily because there does not appear to be a good seal. Pressure hose in this area will certainly allow water to enter the motor and then it is only time before it fails. No simple fix because the B.B. is integral to the motor. I also damaged the battery by riding the bike with rusted bearings which caused an overheating problem. Battery was fried. Very expensive exercise. So be warned. Keep clear of water until Brose gets a better B.B. seal

I have pulled the motor apart and have found rust in the lower section of the Brose motor. It appears to be an area where water will collect and it will not drain as it could from a normal BB. Water can enter the motor from the BB easily because there does not appear to be a good seal. Pressure hose in this area will certainly allow water to enter the motor and then it is only time before it fails. No simple fix because the B.B. is integral to the motor. I also damaged the battery by riding the bike with rusted bearings which caused an overheating problem. Battery was fried. Very expensive exercise. So be warned. Keep clear of water until Brose gets a better B.B. seal

What is meant by B.B.?

How is it an expensive exercise? Have you already been told no warranty ? Something in the details seems to be missing > Is this a New Bike ? missing
What is meant by B.B.?
Bottom Bracket : I doubt it was a New Bike and I rather doubt six months of Going thru mud Puddles Burned out a Motor. The seal was probably dry for some time and probably never had service : I'm just guessing but the original Post was a month away from being 2 years ago. With no follow up

Back