Broken Spokes on X3

J.R.

Region
USA
City
Piedmont Highlands
I do a lot of riding, my commute is 17 miles one way 4 to 5 days a week. I rode every week this past winter but a 1-1/2 week stretch. There was a lot of snow but the thick ice pack on a 8 mile stretch of a rural rail-trail was the worse part and beat me and the bike to death for months. Given how hard I've been on this bike I'm very impressed! In the six months I've owned the X3 I've put more than 3000 miles on the bike.

So when at the end of the winter I broke a spoke, I wasn't disappointed in the least. I did have a few days of trying to report my need electronically for a couple of spokes to Prodeco. I followed up by phone and was told spokes were on their way. No fuss, no muss, no charge. I do realize not everyone either wants to or can install their own spokes, but I do and can. I own a repair stand and a trueing stand (Park Tool). In the event you would need to have a shop do it, it may be more difficult to get help. I can't speak to that. They sent me six spokes with six nipples without hesitation.

Good thing they sent six because there were 2 broken spokes and a third went while trueing the wheel. There are some tricks to replacing spokes and trueing wheels and if you want to know my experience with this, don't hesitate to ask. It would be a little dry and pointless to post my procedures if no one is interested in knowing. Just know when replacing spokes on a laced wheel; you always want new nipples and you will always have to remove at least one additional spoke to lace the new one in. In my case to replace three spokes I had to remove three additional. Just something to keep in mind.

An additional issue with regard to the X3 spoke nipples is that I had already owned 4 of the 6 most common sized spoke nipple wrenches, but wouldn't you know the spoke nipples on the X3 were larger than any of my wrenches. It wasn't a huge problem or expense, I measured the bike's nipples with a dial caliper and purchased one for $9.00. The size required is 3.96mm (very large). I purchased a Park Tool SW-3.

I'm very impressed with the X3, I've put it through L and only had 3 broken spokes. Given how heavy these hub-motors are, not bad! I do maintain the bike to the highest level I can though. Yesterday I had some time, the temperature was 52F, so I went on a 42 mile ride on one charge, my longest ride to date. I continue to be impressed.

Just know when replacing spokes on a laced wheel; you always want new nipples and you will always have to remove at least one additional spoke to lace the new one in. In my case to replace three spokes I had to remove three additional.
I'd like to understand the reason for those both. Is the removal needed just because of how the spokes go across each other?

Is the removal needed just because of how the spokes go across each other
Yes. There just isn't enough room, you wouldn't be able to flex the new spoke into place. Spokes are generally laid out in groups and ebike spokes are generally heavy gage to carry the weight. This is true even with mid-drives to carry the additional load. Even with the crossover spoke loose you still have to flex (slightly bend) it into place. As for replacing the nipple; spokes are under load , they have a fair amount of torque on them. When they are installed (especially factory), the load placed on the fine threads tends to draw on those threads, slightly distorting them (cupping) so that the spoke threads only mate to the original nipple. Inserting new threads into the nipple will weaken the threads on both the old nipple and new spoke. This can cause a catastrophic failure of the parts. This is in addition to the stresses placed on the nipple at the time of spoke snapped. It's not worth it for .50

I do a lot of riding, my commute is 17 miles one way 4 to 5 days a week. I rode every week this past winter but a 1-1/2 week stretch. There was a lot of snow but the thick ice pack on a 8 mile stretch of a rural rail-trail was the worse part and beat me and the bike to death for months. Given how hard I've been on this bike I'm very impressed! In the six months I've owned the X3 I've put more than 3000 miles on the bike.

So when at the end of the winter I broke a spoke, I wasn't disappointed in the least. I did have a few days of trying to report my need electronically for a couple of spokes to Prodeco. I followed up by phone and was told spokes were on their way. No fuss, no muss, no charge. I do realize not everyone either wants to or can install their own spokes, but I do and can. I own a repair stand and a trueing stand (Park Tool). In the event you would need to have a shop do it, it may be more difficult to get help. I can't speak to that. They sent me six spokes with six nipples without hesitation.

Good thing they sent six because there were 2 broken spokes and a third went while trueing the wheel. There are some tricks to replacing spokes and trueing wheels and if you want to know my experience with this, don't hesitate to ask. It would be a little dry and pointless to post my procedures if no one is interested in knowing. Just know when replacing spokes on a laced wheel; you always want new nipples and you will always have to remove at least one additional spoke to lace the new one in. In my case to replace three spokes I had to remove three additional. Just something to keep in mind.

An additional issue with regard to the X3 spoke nipples is that I had already owned 4 of the 6 most common sized spoke nipple wrenches, but wouldn't you know the spoke nipples on the X3 were larger than any of my wrenches. It wasn't a huge problem or expense, I measured the bike's nipples with a dial caliper and purchased one for $9.00. The size required is 3.96mm (very large). I purchased a Park Tool SW-3.

I'm very impressed with the X3, I've put it through L and only had 3 broken spokes. Given how heavy these hub-motors are, not bad! I do maintain the bike to the highest level I can though. Yesterday I had some time, the temperature was 52F, so I went on a 42 mile ride on one charge, my longest ride to date. I continue to be impressed.

Excellent write up.
We also noticed that Prodeco has become more responsive this year! :)

Back